OPETH

I've also got a GH100L, it's actually a really nice amp.. It can even get really djenty with a TS9 in front :) Mine's broken now though, don't know what the hell's wrong with it. It does work, but I can only get the volume up a wee bit, doesn't matter if I max the volume knob, it still remains at the same low volume..
Could it be a tube issue?

I've also got a GH100L, it's actually a really nice amp.. It can even get really djenty with a TS9 in front :) Mine's broken now though, don't know what the hell's wrong with it. It does work, but I can only get the volume up a wee bit, doesn't matter if I max the volume knob, it still remains at the same low volume..

Sounds like powertubes. Is sound coming out of the speakers, or are you only hearing it from the transformer?

90% of problems with tube amps are tube-related problems.

Their actual distorted sound at gigs isn't so great. Mike's lead tone is passable, but it just doesn't have the warm tube character they get on albums (or live DVDs, when Andy reamps them through some monstrous frankenstein amp).

Actually, Live they use Boss GT-6 with the 4-cable method. I've also seen Mendez use a Bass Podxt Live, but I don't know if he just uses it for effects or sth.

Is there any truth in what I've heard regarding the retracking of low-gain rhythm guitars many more times than you'd usually expect, in order to achieve a much bigger sound from the Laney's?

I had this happen to my marshall before, it was a bad power cap.
sorry for the o/t

i think it was just 2 if i remember correct.

Andy, were there two tracks per side, or two tracks total, one per side?

I remember a couple of interviews (one was Guitar World, I can't recall the others) with Mikael around the time Deliverance was released that seemed to imply there was a fair bit of layering going on in the rhythm tones, with a Laney, an ENGL and a Recto with the gain set rather low. Am I remembering this incorrectly, did he or Steven Wilson or whomever sum those tracks together, or is he a little vague on what actually went on in the recording process? I remember another section of an interview around that time where he discussed going out for a smoke and coming back to find Steven Wilson had reamped his solos and being surprised at the whole concept.

Andy, were there two tracks per side, or two tracks total, one per side?

I remember a couple of interviews (one was Guitar World, I can't recall the others) with Mikael around the time Deliverance was released that seemed to imply there was a fair bit of layering going on in the rhythm tones, with a Laney, an ENGL and a Recto with the gain set rather low. Am I remembering this incorrectly, did he or Steven Wilson or whomever sum those tracks together, or is he a little vague on what actually went on in the recording process? I remember another section of an interview around that time where he discussed going out for a smoke and coming back to find Steven Wilson had reamped his solos and being surprised at the whole concept.

I remember reading something like that aswell, the amps they used didn't have enough gain, so they layered several rythm guitars to get a bigger sound. Maybe it was just something they tried, and it wasn't actually used on the record? I have no idea.

I am loving deliverance so much. I watched the Lamentations DVD bonus and I can now understand the pain in the ass it should have been for them to actually record this album. How can you even play your parts when you are under pressure in the studio....

And Andy really saved the day with mix as it sounds pretty good. They thought the tracks they got were real bad.

kinda off-topic, but anyways....i wonder who did damnation??
what an awesome album, really, both writing and production wise.

i wonder what they used to get that incredibly lush, thick, warm, plain awesome sounding reverb for vocals, e.g. in my time of need "somewhere's miles and miles away"....that part kicks my ass soo much.
any idea?

Steve Wilson Produced Damnation.

I prefer the drum sound of Watershed with the guitars of Ghost Reveries (even though there was a bit of POD in there)

But Still Life is still my favorite album :)

kinda off-topic, but anyways....i wonder who did damnation??
what an awesome album, really, both writing and production wise.

i wonder what they used to get that incredibly lush, thick, warm, plain awesome sounding reverb for vocals, e.g. in my time of need "somewhere's miles and miles away"....that part kicks my ass soo much.
any idea?

oh yes beautiful indeed, steven wilson did that album and was even involved in songwriting and backing vocals, plus he wrote the lyrics to "Death whispered a Lullaby"

IMO best sounding album would be Blackwater Park (also done by Wilson) but the sound on Lamentations Dvd is definitely crushing, plus the latest Jens Bogren produced albums are great in their own way but seem to have some small flaws, things you don't find in other Bogren produced albums like Katatonia's TGCD (just perfect, breath-taking)

oh yes beautiful indeed, steven wilson did that album and was even involved in songwriting and backing vocals, plus he wrote the lyrics to "Death whispered a Lullaby"

IMO best sounding album would be Blackwater Park (also done by Wilson) but the sound on Lamentations Dvd is definitely crushing, plus the latest Jens Bogren produced albums are great in their own way but seem to have some small flaws, things you don't find in other Bogren produced albums like Katatonia's TGCD (just perfect, breath-taking)
Actually Wilson only produced the vocals on BWP. The rest was all the band and Frederick Nordstrom.

In my opinion Blackwater Park is the album that really defines Opeth. (though ghost reveries is my favorite). It seems like Opeth began to realize the potential of experimentation in albums following BWP. Unfortunately it sacrificed style and ambiance IMO. But again GR is still my fav.