slipknot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't we just agree that Slipknot sucks and be over with this?!:erk:

Apparently not. We have to blame them for everything that has ever been wrong in the world first. And then we have to sit around with dicks in hand, waffling on about what 'real metal' is supposed to sound like.

What the hell are you talking about? Slipknot isn't metal. Just because you think they sound like it doesn't mean anything. Hell, metalcore, deathcore, mathcore and whatever all utilize elements from metal and vice versa but none of them is metal... not even metalcore. Just because a genre has a word metal in it doesn't mean it's metal. Grindcore isn't core, but metal, even though it has word core in it. You see genres are defined by specific traits in their music.

Only thing metal about Slipknot is pretty much the drummer. Rest are total and blatant nu-metal, also known as not metal.

And it's the opinion of knowledgeable metalheads that matter, not the media, who came up with nu-metal in the first place. I mean, why should media dictate what is true? Do they know what they're talking about? No.

Somebody here mentioned Metalhead: A Headbangers Journey as his source for what Static-X is. Are you seriously kidding me? Why would you believe that gay fake-document?

What the hell are you talking about? Slipknot isn't metal. Just because you think they sound like it doesn't mean anything. Hell, metalcore, deathcore, mathcore and whatever all utilize elements from metal and vice versa but none of them is metal... not even metalcore. Just because a genre has a word metal in it doesn't mean it's metal. Grindcore isn't core, but metal, even though it has word core in it. You see genres are defined by specific traits in their music.

Only thing metal about Slipknot is pretty much the drummer. Rest are total and blatant nu-metal, also known as not metal.

And it's the opinion of knowledgeable metalheads that matter, not the media, who came up with nu-metal in the first place. I mean, why should media dictate what is true? Do they know what they're talking about? No.

Somebody here mentioned Metalhead: A Headbangers Journey as his source for what Static-X is. Are you seriously kidding me? Why would you believe that gay fake-document?

basically all wrong

Basically you both are retards. Vader isn't death metal, why, because I say so; logic of yours.

Your never going to agree on this, I would have thought this was obvious by now. Slipknot is one of those bands were people's opinions will be split, I dislike them because I just think they put on poor shows, play crap half arsed songs and dress like they are going to a fancy dress party. Other people may like them but thats there own opinion not mine and if they like them then its fine by me just down try to convince me they are TEH SHIT!
If they get money out of the music they play then thats good for them but I know that they are going to die out soon like Limp Bizkit did and its just a mindless trend, bands like Sabbath and Maiden are going to be remembered for years to come and maybe wheny ou start moaning about Slipknot you should think "to hell with this, let the kids have there fun listening to crap".

Your never going to agree on this, I would have thought this was obvious by now. Slipknot is one of those bands were people's opinions will be split, I dislike them because I just think they put on poor shows, play crap half arsed songs and dress like they are going to a fancy dress party. Other people may like them but thats there own opinion not mine and if they like them then its fine by me just down try to convince me they are TEH SHIT!
If they get money out of the music they play then thats good for them but I know that they are going to die out soon like Limp Bizkit did and its just a mindless trend, bands like Sabbath and Maiden are going to be remembered for years to come and maybe wheny ou start moaning about Slipknot you should think "to hell with this, let the kids have there fun listening to crap".

That is not the issue, however. I'm all for people listening to whatever they like, may it be Iron Maiden, Slipknot or hell, K-Fed. That's what matters, listen to what you want sounds good or fits your ideology. But when people start twisting genres, like saying that Slipknot is metal, Coheed and Cambria is progressive rock/metal or that Dillinger Espace Plan is super technical, that's where I draw the line. It's entirely justified to correct _factual_ errors people make. /end rant

How the fuck is Vader not death metal?

Just pointing out how fucking stupid people are. Vader is death metal, Slipknot isn't metal, on contrary to what some people claim.

To the other guy: Umm, no? It's your logic. You are the ones claiming that they are metal, it's your job to bring the proof onto the table. So far nobody has done anything but said that they are metal because they just are; which is utterly moronic.

Their drummer did a terrible job on the song on that Roadrunner compilation cd. Can't remember the name of it; it was the one with Glen Benton on vocals. God, it was horrible.:puke:

(note that I didn't actually buy the cd, I just listened to it on Roadrunner's site because I was bored)

i hate slipknot but they sure have songs that are metal.
heavy distorted guitars,agressive vocals, lots of double bass even blastbeats in some songs. that sounds like metal to me.

Slipknot [and other nu-metal] takes metal, and destroys all the value metal has. It takes out the skill and puts in half electronic sounds, it takes out the compositional element [as influenced by classical] and turns it into funky "catchy" tune [like hip-hop/rap], it takes the cultural base chops it up blends it and trys to make a piece of art out of it with elmers glue, and it takes out deep and intelligent themes and replaces it with sex sex drug drugs violence violence. It basically is metal dumbed down to a typical American 12-16 year-old level, and is only appealing because of the stupid themes [that seem oh so deep to most of its fans], and simple yet seemingly "badass" catchy tune [that truly all suck horribly].

I would label the genre as: crappy Electronic/Hardcore Pop/Hard Rock [aka Nu-metal], its basically what I would expect from a band of 12 year olds with rap and electronic influences attempting to make "progressive metal".

i never heard slipknot saying that they have progressive influences. hell it's the first time i've heard the word progressive and slipknot in the same sentence.

yeh their themes are stupid, but there are lots and lots of metal with stupid lyric. gore, manowar style lyrics, satanic, new slayer lyrics lol etc etc

i don't see anything wrong with electronic influences, there's electronic music more complex than lots of metal bands.
arctures for instance has lots of electronic elements in some of their albuns and they are good, creative band.

i guess you should be more open minded.

yes slipknot is crappy but they do have a role, they are the iniciation for young metal fans, after hearing them kids will start looking into slayer, death metal and forget about slipknot in a heartbeat.

and even some great musicians like Ron Jarzombek dig music from slipknot or mudvayne.

i hate slipknot but they sure have songs that are metal.
heavy distorted guitars,agressive vocals, lots of double bass even blastbeats in some songs. that sounds like metal to me.

Hold on.

You're saying if a bunch of 12 year-olds were jerking off with heavy, distorted guitars in their mom's basement, they would be playing metal?

Define aggressive vocals. Opera could be considered vocally aggressive due to the intensity and emotion involved.

Blast beats are used in jazz, as well. Of course they're not as fast as metal, but they're not exclusively for metal.

Maybe I would accept the notion of Slipknot attempting to play metal, but to me, they're posers.

Hold on.

You're saying if a bunch of 12 year-olds were jerking off with heavy, distorted guitars in their mom's basement, they would be playing metal?

Define aggressive vocals. Opera could be considered vocally aggressive due to the intensity and emotion involved.

Blast beats are used in jazz, as well. Of course they're not as fast as metal, but they're not exclusively for metal.

Maybe I would accept the notion of Slipknot attempting to play metal, but to me, they're posers.
well yes they are posers, and yes their music suck.
agressive vocals i was talking about screaming of course.
and the blastbeats and double bass, it's the context in which they are used. you don't hear really heavy downtuned distorted riffs in jazz.

but i mean come on, slikpnot may suck but it's well produced music, very catchy and it's well made for it's purpose which is to sell a lot of records to kids.
plus slikpnot in their first album, that mate feed ...whatever it's called had solos, jazz sections. they know what they are doing and are quite sucessful doing it, which is selling a lot. it's not as easy as it seems. lots of bands try and can't get sucessful.

i do hate the sound of the band, but i just don't get the etilism. there's lots of bands that are considered metal and are really simple.

a song like people=shit or that lame heretic anthem or whatever it's called, yes shitty songs but are really agressive songs, catchy yes, but much more heavy than hard rock. i mean slipknot is heavier than a lot of power metal bands. it's because they do don't do solos or leads?
why is a song like paranoid metal ? its really simple and catchy as any slipknot song, but it's black sabbath so it's metal.

there is good metal and bad metal, and slipknot are bad metal, is simple as that.
imo that is.

To the other guy: Umm, no? It's your logic. You are the ones claiming that they are metal, it's your job to bring the proof onto the table. So far nobody has done anything but said that they are metal because they just are; which is utterly moronic.

prove to me Vader is

prove to me Vader is

You're an idiot. Perhaps I should also prove to you why Judas Priest is metal? Do you seriously not see the difference between a nu-metal band and a real metal band?

Anyway: constant usage of blast beats or double bass, guitar solos, death or thrash metal riffing, grunting vocals. If you don't know what some of these are, then tough luck, you don't know enough about metal to make any judgements about it, and thus should shut the fuck up.

well yes they are posers, and yes their music suck.

True

agressive vocals i was talking about screaming of course.

DM and BM vocals don't consist of screaming. The point is aggression doesn't just apply to metal.

and the blastbeats and double bass, it's the context in which they are used. you don't hear really heavy downtuned distorted riffs in jazz.

Ahh, context. Slipknot takes a few elements from other genres and fits them in with their inferior music, which lacks competent writing and skill.

but i mean come on, slikpnot may suck but it's well produced music, very catchy and it's well made for it's purpose which is to sell a lot of records to kids.

This is the definition, word by word, of radio Disney type bands.

plus slikpnot in their first album, that mate feed ...whatever it's called had solos, jazz sections.

Jazz tends to be more technical or atleast shows competent musicianship, which is the complete opposite of Slipknot. As far as solos, even some of their most diehard fans acknowledge their solos are crap.

they know what they are doing and are quite sucessful doing it, which is selling a lot. it's not as easy as it seems. lots of bands try and can't get sucessful.

I'll give you this. Slipknot knows what they're doing as far as making simple music surrounded by an idiotic gimmick that rebellious kids need to shock their parents. However, this is not hard to do and this is what sells to simpletons who care nothing for the quality or dignity of music in general. Most people just starting to play guitar or bass could pick up Slipknot riffs in a couple of weeks with relative ease. As far as putting on masks and acting like retards: We all went trick-ot-treating as children. I emphasize children.

i do hate the sound of the band, but i just don't get the etilism. there's lots of bands that are considered metal and are really simple.

Did you mean elitism? Elitism comes along with the territory of listening to music that requires more thinking and analysis. This is due to the standards we form as we become more familiar with our favorite music.

a song like people=shit or that lame heretic anthem or whatever it's called, yes shitty songs but are really agressive songs, catchy yes, but much more heavy than hard rock. i mean slipknot is heavier than a lot of power metal bands. it's because they do don't do solos or leads?
why is a song like paranoid metal ? its really simple and catchy as any slipknot song, but it's black sabbath so it's metal.

Actually, I don't consider Sabbath pure metal. They're very blues influenced. You mean heavy as in down tuned guitars with heavy distortion. That in a sense is true, but heavy also refers to the actual song writing. In this sense, classical composers are heavy at times, as well, but they're not metal. I'm pointing out the fact that heavy doesn't necessarily mean metal, so in other words; Slipknot may be heavy, but they aren't metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.