TESTAMENT

Troy Sanders on the Making of the Blood Mountain DVD:
"once again we wanted to work with Matt Baylis, at the same studio where we did leviathan and just keep all the pieces in place, because we were happy with the entire leviathan process, and we didn't really want to change anything around too much. We already changed labels, everything has gotten a little bigger and a little better and we like to keep it that way and the last thing we wanted to do is to jump into an enormous studio with an enormous budget and enormous engineer and just change everything up you know. Very well could have been productive and great but we just wanted to keep most of the team intact and most of the people and work ethics in place. *mumble mumble* it wasn't broke and we didn't want to fix it so we came out here (Matt Baylis) to repeat the recording Process"

I type that out as i played the DVD so it might not be word for word.

I just think it's the sound they like, very prog rock unpolished sound.
I'll admit it took me longer to get into Mastodon and it was probably due to the production being unpolished.
Which could explain why certain labels choose to send their bands to guys like Andy to get a polished sound so it's easier to listen to and easier for people to get into.

But i think it's the fact that it took me longer to get into a band, that i ended up liking and even loving it for longer. Compared to bands that are easy to listen which i get bored of quicker (that's probably just me though)

Sorry for going off topic. Hopefully i didn't offend anyone
peace

It seem like I am not alone craving the old school mic'd sound recently :)

This just reminded me of this thread:

1202914069452zb1.gif

hahaha @ the butterfly strip.

But i don't think i was suggesting that Andy try change his mixes to anything.
All i said (or try to say) was i thought that the rolls on the new testament could be a little more 'dynamic' because it's the feel of metal that makes you headbang to it.

I know that those rolls were quite fast therefore it needed to sound tight and cut through (as Andy said) and seeing that he prefers the polished sound which is awesome and hard to perfect i can understand why he chose that route instead of mine.

It's still a killer album, regardless!

hopefully that's the end of that.

If it's not too expensive, I'll totally go! Saw them last on the Demonic tour back in the 90s and they were awesome! :headbang:

Hope they still have the same energy!

Saw them live in Wacken in 2003 with Steve Smyth and Steve DiGiorgio, sound was muddy but lots of energy there.
Ever since then I wanted to see them again, and even more since Skolnick came back! I'll definitely not let this one pass whatever it costs... it'll still be way cheaper than making the trip to the south for earthshaker or whereever they played last year.

I gotta say after listening to this nonstop, I think is my favorite Sneap mix ever. Soooo nice.

+1. LOVE the mix! even though i somehow expected more of the songs to be honest...there's some killer stuff, but also *too many* not-so-great songs like dangers of the faithless or leave me forever....a little too ritual-esque if you know what i mean. the gathering had much more impact and energy with songs like legions of the dead or dnr. not quite what i expected out of 8 years of songwriting.
still a killer album though...maybe my expectations were just too high :)

Hello Mr Sneap,
first of all congratulations for the last Testament album production!!

What I like in it (but usually in all cds mixed by you) is the ratio between bass and guitar and that your mixes sound in the right way about clarity without be too bright or harsh and with a great bass section.

So I have two questions:
- some tips about bass (instrument and bass in general)?
- do you use some filter to roll off the very high frequencies? or some good advice on how you manage them?

Thank you!!

Sorry to bring this back up....but has anyone heard Warbringer's new CD? Bill Metoyer (no offense to him) produced it and if I played in a thrash band, I sure as hell would prefer my CD to sound like Testament than this....

That is EXACTLY what I am talking about. Where bands are requesting the true mic'd drum/guitar sound (even if a few samples are still in there).

I prefer it.

Warbringers production is the future believe it or not. Mega polished producition in metal has left it less metal.

I already mentioned it is on the horizon in this thread. New Thrash is taking over.

Bands will still be after the Sneap sound (like power metal etc). But thrash is turning its back on it.

We are not talking about bad garage production. We are talking HONEST production.

Some drummers get photoshopped more than Brittanies press releases.

That is EXACTLY what I am talking about. Where bands are requesting the true mic'd drum/guitar sound (even if a few samples are still in there).

I prefer it.

Warbringers production is the future believe it or not. Mega polished producition in metal has left it less metal.

I already mentioned it is on the horizon in this thread. New Thrash is taking over.

Bands will still be after the Sneap sound (like power metal etc). But thrash is turning its back on it.

We are not talking about bad garage production. We are talking HONEST production.

Posts like this are a reason people still use the term "Gay" in its offensive, archaic form. I hope not to offend any homosexuals out there, and I honestly try not to use this word as a negative descriptor, and I am genuinely happy that men can marry each other in California now, but really, the only suitable reply to this post is "Gay."

I prefer it.

Which is why Testament and Exodus have gone back to Sneap, and Megadeth did their newest with them...

If you can say that FEAR is less metal than anything because of its production, I'm going to have to suspend your metal license.

Jeff

I prefer it.

I'm sorry but this is a lot of rubbish.

If you prefer that style than that is entirely your prerogative; the world would be a boring place if we all liked exactly the same things. But I don't see how crushingly heavy, crystal clear production makes metal seem 'less metal' or is dishonest.

Listen to Rust In Peace or Practise What You Preach. Both albums are fantastic musicianship wise, and both sound decent for being nearly 20 years old. But the recent Megadeth and Testament albums SOUND better/clearer/heavier. There's nothing 'dishonest' about the production - It's not like Mustaine/Skolnick can't play anymore, so their riffs/solos have to be fully quantized to sound good. Modern technology and recording techniques allow the likes of Andy to make albums sound as good as possible and I think 99% of thrash bands would choose this production if they could. Triggering/drum samples etc is no more 'cheating' than quad-tracking guitar tracks or layering vocal harmonies or doing anything else that you hear on a CD but not live. If you want to hear a band play and sound exactly like that band, go and watch them live.

Difference in opinion is great and all that, but this is the Sneap forum - I can only fully speak for myself, but I'm guessing that everyone here wants to hear Andy's style of ultra slick production on modern metal releases. Knocking it isn't going to win many votes!