TESTAMENT

I for one like the drumsound on this album, the toms sound sick and Bostaph plays really well.
Andy; youve recorded your fair share of monsterdrummers. Do you get to do much editing or do they just nail the songs the old fashioned way?

Maybe Bostaph played way too consistently. Really, though, with the density of modern metal mixes, the drums have to cut. I think that a more "natural" drum sound would likely tend to get lost in the layers of guitars. Without knowing what drums he used, how he tuned them, and what he (Bostaph) was going for, it's pretty hard to judge whether it's "natural" or not. We weren't there for tracking, so I'd say that our opinions are pretty much worthless. I'd also imagine that if he were going for a lot of dynamic rolls and the like, and Andy squashed them, that somebody in the band would mention it.

I received my copy yesterday...and of course the production on it is nothing short of AMAZING!

but to be honest...although I like really modern sounding metalalbums to my ears this one is rather on the more naturtal/warmer side...there are definitely Sneap-Productions that sound less "natural" (what a stupid word! so is "overproduced"...you cannot "overproduce" something...you can only do a good or a bad job in producing music).

this is definitely one of my favorite Sneap-Productions! (along with "Godless En.", "Resurrection", "Doomsday M." )

damn, you're argueing about the most sought after metalproducer of today recording the biggest metalbands of today (and the last 3 decades)....
seriously, it's nice and everything to have a different taste, but trying to convince (or rather persuade) people that all these big bands, labels and producers are wrong seems kinda stupid.

If you think you know better, try doing better. If you want to know why something was done the way it was, ask. That's the difference between a student and a critic - and music critics are wankers who need to be beaten with sticks nine times out of ten.

On topic, this production wins.

Jeff

This album sounds cracking - I'd much rather hear 'modern' production than attempting to recreate the 80s. Hence why I spin First Strike Still Deadly far more than the Legacy.

I also think the original Souls Of Black is (one of) the reason(s) Testament didn't make it to the same level as Metallica or Megadeth. Don't get me wrong, I love Testament - but compared with the Black Album and Countdown to Extinction, the production on Souls of black was way inferior, and the songs weren't really much of a step forward. Still, the last couple of Testament albums have been great.

damn, you're argueing about the most sought after metalproducer of today recording the biggest metalbands of today (and the last 3 decades)....
seriously, it's nice and everything to have a different taste, but trying to convince (or rather persuade) people that all these big bands, labels and producers are wrong seems kinda stupid.

I already said that myself.

Maybe Bostaph played way too consistently. Really, though, with the density of modern metal mixes, the drums have to cut. I think that a more "natural" drum sound would likely tend to get lost in the layers of guitars. Without knowing what drums he used, how he tuned them, and what he (Bostaph) was going for, it's pretty hard to judge whether it's "natural" or not. We weren't there for tracking, so I'd say that our opinions are pretty much worthless. I'd also imagine that if he were going for a lot of dynamic rolls and the like, and Andy squashed them, that somebody in the band would mention it.

Mastadon has one of the thickest guitar sounds on the planet and the natural drums shine through.

I think the true art of sound capture is being Mac'd out of the picture. Mac vs Mic.

It is why everyone loves Mastadon: Honest sweaty skillage in the village.

Now Bostaph IMO is a better drummer, but he is neutered by the cookie cutting production that makes him sound more like the drums were moused in rather than played by the best thrash drummer out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW john boecklin (Devildriver) sounds IDENTICAL to Bostaphs sound wise in their last releases.

You can't get a fag paper between the tones.

It is that that irks me when drummers can sound every bit as good as Bostaph when in most cases there is a gulf in class.

BTW john boecklin (Devildriver) sounds IDENTICAL to Bostaphs sound wise in their last releases.

It is that that irks me when drummers can sound every bit as good as Bostaph when in most cases there is a gulf in class.

Jeezus fucking christ. :bah: :bah:

Edit: JUST picked this album up a few minutes ago, awesome, great job, especially guitars, got a unique guitar tone that has a touch of The Gathering, unique to Testament, really impressive, and songs kick ass too. Oh, and drums sound great, duh.

If I had to guess, I'd say it probably depends on the drummer and the performance. I don't see why he'd take a great performance and align it to a grid just for the sake of editing it. But if there's a noticeable mistake in an otherwise good take, or the whole performance is... less than stellar, shall we say, I don't see why not and I wouldn't criticize him for doing so. It's his job to make the band sound good, and if all he's got are shoddy drum tracks...

And as much as Andy's willing to share, I think professional courtesy would prevent him from telling who gets the serious editing, not just normal comping takes together or punching or fixing an errant hit or fill. That's just everyday stuff I'd expect from anyone this side of Steve Albini and doesn't reflect on a drummer's skill. I don't think he'd divulge "[insert drummer here] really blows in the studio. He can't keep time, fucks up all his fills and has the dynamic range of an orchestra. I spent days making his tracks presentable". :p

I suppose if you really wanted to find out, you could drop some tracks into your DAW and see what lines up dead on all the time and what doesn't?

I keep having to update my reference pile. First United Abominations, then Watershed, now this. If anyone else makes a great sounding record this year I'm going to be digging under the couch cushions for food money.

I got the CD/DVD edition today and the sound is crushing! I personally would have preferred the bass guitar to be a bit louder, but the whole sound is just killer. The digipack is also really snazzy.

For all those speculating about the "making of" on the DVD: to me it's not worth getting if you gotta watch your money. There is really nothing on there that is interesting to me except for Paul's drumsetup. A bit of a waste, sadly. It is also poorly cut/edited.

Still, I am really happy with my purchase and this one will be my reference for metal tracks for a long time to come. Sounds better than the last Machine Head (which used to be my reference up till yesterday).

Why criticize it?

Its what andy does, plain and simple. If you dont like the way his albums sound dont listen.

Personally I would love to get any to mix everything my band does, but the price is too high for our meager "still having day job" asses.

Andy is a god at the desk, end of story.

so than don't buy it goddamnit! stop the whining! :rolleyes:

I'll usually do multiple takes, edit the bits in we like etc, maybe correct some parts but it depends on the drummer and I don't think its fair with any musician for me to comment here on what it took to get the performance tight.

People have been editing and dropping in for years, I spent years cutting tape up before we could edit on computers so I've always had the same approach, just easier tools.

As much as thefyn is getting on my tits, I understand what he is saying, although I feel mastadon (and his other examples) have almost a demo quality to their recordings. Thats cool tho, its just a different approach and its why some bands will use me and others will go elsewhere. I like to hear things more polished which I think is what he is hearing between the albums I'm doing as I'm not using the same drum sounds, it's just the approach.

And I'm not saying bands should use me all the time, Nevermore, Arch Enemy and Kreator for instance, we kind of get a couple of albums down the line and its time for band and producer to move on and try something else.