TESTAMENT

Some of the posts in this thread baffle me beyond belief. Think how many thrash bands come to Andy to have his production style on their stuff (Exodus, Testament, Onslaught, Megadeth come immediately to mind). Also think that Andy did pretty well himself in terms of his own thrash band. These are people who know what they are talking about and know what thrash should sound like. What would it accomplish for them to go back to an 80's sound that they aren't even keen on?

FWIW I'm listening to this album a bit more, and for me its a cross between the Ritual and the Gathering.

Couldn't agree with you more! Andy did a great job on this album! I Love it! I wouldn't change a thing! Andy is THE MAN! :worship:

i find this thread interesting as to me the drums sound totally different to opeth, I guess its just the character of the drums I go for you don't like, which is fair enough cause the bands come to me because they like that so I'm not offended by your opinion.

I just did a mix of a rerecorded version of souls of black by the way, you may want to AB guitar tones against that and change your opinion, (or maybe not...but I wont agree with you) when you say that has a better gtr tone.

Andy.....can you give us a run down of your drum miking scheme for "The Formation of Damnation" CD?

send me your number, I'll pass it onto eric so you can do the next album

seriously, if I gave them an 80s sound I'd get my ass fired. Cunnerberti and Rosen are still alive if they want to go that route.

I have a feeling that you may start getting more requests of retro production from bands. Most new metal bands getting signed are of the New Thrash variety.

Check out the styles (almost carbon copies!)

www.myspsace.com/bondedbyblood

These aint old timers, the average age is 18.

I also think listeners ears will be like mine soon. I am the BIGGEST Sneap fan. (scary fan alert) I have followed your progress since buying White Dwarf magazine and it came with a floppy single of your track. Was it blood for the blood god? Sooooooo long ago.

I also think you have recorded the IMO best metal tone of all time (Narcosynthesis)

I have a feeling that you may start getting more requests of retro production from bands. Most new metal bands getting signed are of the New Thrash variety.

Check out the styles (almost carbon copies!)

www.myspsace.com/bondedbyblood

These aint old timers, the average age is 18.

I also think listeners ears will be like mine soon. I am the BIGGEST Sneap fan. (scary fan alert) I have followed your progress since buying White Dwarf magazine and it came with a floppy single of your track. Was it blood for the blood god? Sooooooo long ago.

I also think you have recorded the IMO best metal tone of all time (Narcosynthesis)

well thats like saying write a song in a different style. I mix to how I want to hear something, thats what gives it the character that you dont like....unlucky that.

This album is killer. Everything about it.

And, seriously, who wouldn't want an album to sound as good as it can?

I think the best bands like Testament and Nevermore should be a little more ghetto because the skills should shine (not the production).

Sorry, but I think that is about the dumbest thing I've ever read on a forum dedicated to an engineer/engineering.

Dude 1 : "Hey man, have you heard the newest (insert talented band here)?"
Dude 2 : "Nope, what's it like?"
Dude 1: " This band is sooo good, they decided to record all ghetto so their talent could really shine!"
Dude 2: ":guh:"
Dude 1 : "Hells yeah...I mean, if I was as talented as these guys, the first thing I'd do when recording is make sure it doesn't sound too good."

This album is killer. Everything about it.

And, seriously, who wouldn't want an album to sound as good as it can?

Sorry, but I think that is about the dumbest thing I've ever read on a forum dedicated to an engineer/engineering.

Dude 1 : "Hey man, have you heard the newest (insert talented band here)?"
Dude 2 : "Nope, what's it like?"
Dude 1: " This band is sooo good, they decided to record all ghetto so their talent could really shine!"
Dude 2: ":guh:"
Dude 1 : "Hells yeah...I mean, if I was as talented as these guys, the first thing I'd do when recording is make sure it doesn't sound too good."

Replace "good" with "fake".

Do you know what an accent is?

underproduced

vs
overproduced

Vibe is being lost people!

Even Hetfield recognizes this. He even went as so far as to dig up his old gear to record the new album. His famous Jap copy, his old mesa stuff etc.

I can probably dig up some pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: dude, the production isn't the only things that's different between those songs. I can't even begin to name the inconsistencies of your example. It simply does not make sense to compare those songs to prove your point. Surely you realize this?

The whole thing is a matter of opinion, and you're entitled to yours, but what's making you seem like a jackass is how you insist that our opinions are wrong. If you're looking to win this argument, you're on the wrong forum.

The whole thing is a matter of opinion, and you're entitled to yours, but what's making you seem like a jackass is how you insist that our opinions are wrong. If you're looking to win this argument, you're on the wrong forum.

I claimed that vibe is missing. In modern production (in general) is there more or less vibe? Yes or no?