TESTAMENT

I'll usually do multiple takes, edit the bits in we like etc, maybe correct some parts but it depends on the drummer and I don't think its fair with any musician for me to comment here on what it took to get the performance tight.

People have been editing and dropping in for years, I spent years cutting tape up before we could edit on computers so I've always had the same approach, just easier tools.

As much as thefyn is getting on my tits, I understand what he is saying, although I feel mastadon (and his other examples) have almost a demo quality to their recordings. Thats cool tho, its just a different approach and its why some bands will use me and others will go elsewhere. I like to hear things more polished which I think is what he is hearing between the albums I'm doing as I'm not using the same drum sounds, it's just the approach.

And I'm not saying bands should use me all the time, Nevermore, Arch Enemy and Kreator for instance, we kind of get a couple of albums down the line and its time for band and producer to move on and try something else.
End Of Argument

And I'm not saying bands should use me all the time, Nevermore, Arch Enemy and Kreator for instance, we kind of get a couple of albums down the line and its time for band and producer to move on and try something else.

woah wait a second are you saying that you wont be working on the next nevermore album (whenever that may happen.) cuz im prety sure no one wants a replay of the whole enemies of reality situation.

From what I have read I always thought that one was not a "try something else" situation, but "shit, budget got cut to half, need to go somewhere else".

Either way, it was unfortunate because the production on "Enemies..." is so muddy compared with Dead Heart or This Godless Endeavour.

How does the re-mixed version sound? I couldn't quite justify buying that album twice...

well I offered to set them up and mix that album....but they knew better.......errrr, so that would have save some $$ if that really was the issue. There was some scheduling issues as well, I think I was working with Arch Enemy but they took so long over it I could have done it in the end.

there was definitely a try something different approach mixed with some odd ideas, but anyway....wrong thread for that

Speaking of being on-topic, were the rhythm tracks all 5150iii channel 3, or channel 2 with a bit of a boost? Those are great-sounding amps. If I had an extra $3k lying around, I'd get one.

Speaking of being on-topic, were the rhythm tracks all 5150iii channel 3, or channel 2 with a bit of a boost? Those are great-sounding amps. If I had an extra $3k lying around, I'd get one.

They are great amps. I just traded mine. The ryth channel (II) is good for recording with the gain maxed (it has moderate gain).

I had to record a demo for the band before rehearsal of a new song so I threw this together in a few hours to give to them:

http://www.web-design100.com/i dont care.mp3

Standard tuned. It's like a confused swamp thrash thing.

The issue I had with it:

Chan II didnt have enough gain
Chan III had too much

I could not find the sweet spot on it. I traded it for a Splawn Quick Rod.

I'll usually do multiple takes, edit the bits in we like etc, maybe correct some parts but it depends on the drummer and I don't think its fair with any musician for me to comment here on what it took to get the performance tight.

People have been editing and dropping in for years, I spent years cutting tape up before we could edit on computers so I've always had the same approach, just easier tools.

As much as thefyn is getting on my tits, I understand what he is saying, although I feel mastadon (and his other examples) have almost a demo quality to their recordings. Thats cool tho, its just a different approach and its why some bands will use me and others will go elsewhere. I like to hear things more polished which I think is what he is hearing between the albums I'm doing as I'm not using the same drum sounds, it's just the approach.

:headbang:

well I offered to set them up and mix that album....but they knew better.......errrr, so that would have save some $$ if that really was the issue. There was some scheduling issues as well, I think I was working with Arch Enemy but they took so long over it I could have done it in the end.

there was definitely a try something different approach mixed with some odd ideas, but anyway....wrong thread for that

well in the end i am kinda glad the original EOR turned out crap because it was the album that made me realize how much the production of an album played into the overall sound and made me wana be a sound engineer so :worship: to andy on showing us all how its done.

I'm annoyed that I couldn't get the DVD with the CD+shirt deal, but I'm looking to track it down all the same... girlfriend needs a copy of this one too, right?

Jeff

Either way, it was unfortunate because the production on "Enemies..." is so muddy compared with Dead Heart or This Godless Endeavour.

How does the re-mixed version sound? I couldn't quite justify buying that album twice...

HIGHLY recommended dude...no contest at all between the original and remix.

Hey Andy... since you seem to be helping everyone out in this thread and Nevermore's being brought up anyway...
I rather like your acoustic guitar sound ie This Godless Endeavor, and even the intro to D.N.R. (The acoustics on Deliverence sound great as well but I know you didn't track those so :loco:) Anyway, what sort of mic setup do you tend you use? The nevermore acoustic sounds slightly 414-ish but I have been wrong before...

From what I have read I always thought that one was not a "try something else" situation, but "shit, budget got cut to half, need to go somewhere else".

Troy Sanders on the Making of the Blood Mountain DVD:
"once again we wanted to work with Matt Baylis, at the same studio where we did leviathan and just keep all the pieces in place, because we were happy with the entire leviathan process, and we didn't really want to change anything around too much. We already changed labels, everything has gotten a little bigger and a little better and we like to keep it that way and the last thing we wanted to do is to jump into an enormous studio with an enormous budget and enormous engineer and just change everything up you know. Very well could have been productive and great but we just wanted to keep most of the team intact and most of the people and work ethics in place. *mumble mumble* it wasn't broke and we didn't want to fix it so we came out here (Matt Baylis) to repeat the recording Process"

I type that out as i played the DVD so it might not be word for word.

I just think it's the sound they like, very prog rock unpolished sound.
I'll admit it took me longer to get into Mastodon and it was probably due to the production being unpolished.
Which could explain why certain labels choose to send their bands to guys like Andy to get a polished sound so it's easier to listen to and easier for people to get into.

But i think it's the fact that it took me longer to get into a band, that i ended up liking and even loving it for longer. Compared to bands that are easy to listen which i get bored of quicker (that's probably just me though)

Sorry for going off topic. Hopefully i didn't offend anyone
peace

For all those speculating about the "making of" on the DVD: to me it's not worth getting if you gotta watch your money. There is really nothing on there that is interesting to me except for Paul's drumsetup. A bit of a waste, sadly. It is also poorly cut/edited.
I read this but still decided to get the DVD version anyway, and i agree, the DVD is completely pointless. Its about 13 minutes long, of no-dialogue random camera shootings of bostaphs kit and a tiny segment of each band member recording their respected instrument. Completely useless.

I read this but still decided to get the DVD version anyway, and i agree, the DVD is completely pointless. Its about 13 minutes long, of no-dialogue random camera shootings of bostaphs kit and a tiny segment of each band member recording their respected instrument. Completely useless.

Not entirely true dude; there's a nice bit of Eric getting his nails done.

'Because that's far more exciting than watching Alex laying down his solos... :rolleyes:

But on the plus side, the album is awesome. :headbang:

just got this album - awesome work Andy!

like that drum sound a lot... the snare sounds really fat
another great album. congrats