TESTAMENT

Yes !
I save money most of the times, strange enough, but I use the internet just for amp/studio gear.

Hm, the stores I know are always more expensive than Amazon etc.

Just listened to an illegal dowload (320kbps encoding) of the album and immediately bought "Formation ..." (+DVD) along with "The Gathering" (which I don't own yet) via Amazon.

Seriously, the myspace player totally turned me off the album. My first impression after listening there was "ah, I don't like it too much". At proper quality it sounds much better ...

Guitars and drums slay!!

that 320 kbps is a fake, I mean it's the 128 that was around before that version, it was just converted to 320.
just to give that shit to people who like to steal albums and having a 320 version.
At 320 you can't have the oh's sound like shit like that.
Regarding buying online: www.play.com is highly recommended, you don't pay for shipping, it's free!

that 320 kbps is a fake, I mean it's the 128 that was around before that version, it was just converted to 320.
just to give that shit to people who like to steal albums and having a 320 version.
At 320 you can't have the oh's sound like shit like that.
Regarding buying online: www.play.com is highly recommended, you don't pay for shipping, it's free!

I dont mind if it's 128kbps or 320 ... it just sounds a lot better than the myspace player to me :)

Received it today, and damn I don't have time to listen to it yet... The packaging is nice but it's not ideal to put it in shelves...

I got my version yesterday. I agree on the packaging, and the fact that you have to pull the CD out. It's too easy to scratch.

The album is fantastic though. Songs and production sound great. Whatever I thought when I heard it on myspace, it doesn't matter. This is awsome.

I got my version yesterday. I agree on the packaging, and the fact that you have to pull the CD out. It's too easy to scratch.

The album is fantastic though. Songs and production sound great. Whatever I thought when I heard it on myspace, it doesn't matter. This is awsome.

Neb, where'd you get it from? I checked JB last weekend and HMV (haha I know) yesterday and couldn't find it. The new In Flames is one of the double digipak cardboard thingies with CD in one side and DVD in the other with that nice (not) slide out required. Is this the same thing? DVD version?

Cheers.

Cheers dude, I haven't been there in many many years. It might have been in 1993 for the Carcass signing session prior to their concert :lol: That's quite a while ago. :zombie:

funny thing is, I've had more compliments on the drum sound on this record sounding natural from labels, bands etc than any other album I've done recently and it's something we intentionally did in the first place. Listen to the fast kick parts for instance, thats totally natural kick as the main sound with a sample just helping the low end to be constant. Knowing what went into this is why I find some of the comments here amusing to say the least.

It is a bit rich you have some dudes saying the drums are TOO good. Gotta love them internets right?

But I am fed up of top modern production. I want my smelly metal back! :cry:

I know some have, but what can I do about that? I'm not going to intentionally make things worse or trashy for the sake of it. I mix the way I do because its how I'd like to hear something.

I just think drums are so pristine that they don't sound like they are in a room. Almost like it was recorded in space. (did you record them in space?)

My point is I feel like I am being fooled by a lot of bands with modern production. In the 80/90's a band rose to the top because there was nowhere to hide in the studio. Nowadays you can put lipstick on a pig and make things sound stellar.

Your techniques are amazing, sound awesome and are great for bands that are limited: But bands like Testament should be allowed to breathe a little more as they have the competency to sound amazing unaided.

Listen to the intro rolls (hard to make out) but on the cd you can tell he is hitting certain parts of the toms to get the roll to the toms to ring a certain way.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwCeUsy59ks&feature=related[/ame]

Plus there are build up rolls on the snare that build up parts etc etc.

It is that aspect of the drums that left me disappointed: The subtleties were all squashed out into mega mix 2000 to sound regimented.

So while you are the best (the best....nothing even gonna bring you down..) I think the best bands like Testament and Nevermore should be a little more ghetto because the skills should shine (not the production).

OK, so now that I've bought my real CD of the new Testament I can comment because that shitty rip (or should I say re-ripped at 320!) I downloaded from the torrent sites really didn't do it justice. I think the CD is awesome and totally Testament with lots of catchy riffage and vocal lines. The production is perfect and I can see some of the arguement of it being too perfect. I've gone back a forth with those thoughts and it comes down to that it's really a matter of preference. Everything is very neatly place in the mix. If I had to give it one criticism I would say it sounds like the mix is over compressed meaning some of that "live" feeling isn't there. Either way I think it's one of the best sounding albums Testament has release and I'll be rockin' this one for a long time! Awesome job Sneap!!!

I just think drums are so pristine that they don't sound like they are in a room. Almost like it was recorded in space. (did you record them in space?)

My point is I feel like I am being fooled by a lot of bands with modern production. In the 80/90's a band rose to the top because there was nowhere to hide in the studio. Nowadays you can put lipstick on a pig and make things sound stellar.

Your techniques are amazing, sound awesome and are great for bands that are limited: But bands like Testament should be allowed to breathe a little more as they have the competency to sound amazing unaided.

Listen to the intro rolls (hard to make out) but on the cd you can tell he is hitting certain parts of the toms to get the roll to the toms to ring a certain way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwCeUsy59ks&feature=related

Plus there are build up rolls on the snare that build up parts etc etc.

It is that aspect of the drums that left me disappointed: The subtleties were all squashed out into mega mix 2000 to sound regimented.

So while you are the best (the best....nothing even gonna bring you down..) I think the best bands like Testament and Nevermore should be a little more ghetto because the skills should shine (not the production).

send me your number, I'll pass it onto eric so you can do the next album

seriously, if I gave them an 80s sound I'd get my ass fired. Cunnerberti and Rosen are still alive if they want to go that route.

Some of the posts in this thread baffle me beyond belief. Think how many thrash bands come to Andy to have his production style on their stuff (Exodus, Testament, Onslaught, Megadeth come immediately to mind). Also think that Andy did pretty well himself in terms of his own thrash band. These are people who know what they are talking about and know what thrash should sound like. What would it accomplish for them to go back to an 80's sound that they aren't even keen on?

FWIW I'm listening to this album a bit more, and for me its a cross between the Ritual and the Gathering.

Same here, as I've always thought that Andy's production is the perfect match for Testament. Same for Exodus. It just fits the style so well IMO, crushing production for crushing music.
To put it in perspective, I think differently about Opeth's Deliverance in that regard (prefer the sound of other Opeth albums), but especially for these thrash bands, Andy's production is top notch in my book.

And I couldn't imagine anyone wanting back that sound of Practice What You Preach... ughhh! :zombie:
If I listen to old Testament songs, it's always First Strike Still Deadly and Live in London. :headbang: