TESTAMENT

Wow sounds reallly tight! Loving this album/sound so much, major props. Tempesta must have been a joy to work with, he seems stupidly tight!!

Also do you usually set all 4 guitars at a similar level or pull 2 down (80%) to just add a bit of girth to the original 100% panned tracks?

Wow sounds reallly tight! Loving this album/sound so much, major props. Tempesta must have been a joy to work with, he seems stupidly tight!!

Also do you usually set all 4 guitars at a similar level or pull 2 down (80%) to just add a bit of girth to the original 100% panned tracks?

I thought it was Bostaph?

It is Bostaph. The last thing John Tempesta did was "First Strike, Still Deadly", as far as studio albums. Paul is full time with the band now. They called him in when Nick Barker got deported for not having his Visa in order.

Listening to "For the glory of..." (the intro to the new record), I kinda hear (or seem to hear) a very subtle panning effect to the crashes. it seems like the crash hits start at something like 75% panning, to end to 100% pan. Is it me witnessing some "psycoacoustic" effect (maybe given by the highs in the tail of the crash), or are they made as to widen the image once hit? (I know people on the board have brilliant minds, so I'm confident they can understand what i miserably failed to describe :D )

@ the fyn:

I just came back from the Testament gig here in Hamburg and fuck, I don't think Bostaph needs to be quantized or sample-replaced that much. He was so tight and powerful, it was unbelievable. I remember seeing him back in 1998 when Slayer was in Germany and he was killer back then, but man, this was one display of pure awesomeness tonight. :headbang: :worship: :headbang:

testament_ticket.jpg

@ the fyn:

I just came back from the Testament gig here in Hamburg and fuck, I don't think Bostaph needs to be quantized or sample-replaced that much. He was so tight and powerful, it was unbelievable. I remember seeing him back in 1998 when Slayer was in Germany and he was killer back then, but man, this was one display of pure awesomeness tonight. :headbang: :worship: :headbang:

testament_ticket.jpg

Yeah dude he is a god.

@ the fyn:

Seeing them in a week or so at Hellfest on the friday, and seeing forbidden on the sunday with some touring drummer. Shame the reunion happened the same time as the new Testament album.

I am pissed off that hack drummers can drumagog themselves into sounding like they can play as good as the Bostaphs of this world.

I hate to perpetuate this, but...

Dude, what the fuck are you smoking?

Using drumagog to replace drum hits does just that - it replaces the drum hit. The drummer had to play it that way in the first place. So a sample of some other drum (most likely one on the same guy's kit, hit earlier in tracking and isolated as a custom sample) is heard instead of what was played.

Big fucking deal. It's not like they chopped up the drum track and pieced it together to a grid (see "...and Justice for All.")

I don't know what bands you're listening to who can't pull off live what they do in the studio - but I've got a question for you. If the band sucks live then why the fuck do you listen to them? If the drummer is out of time what value is there to their music?

I can think of one drummer off the top of my head who has ever just totally failed in my eyes when it comes to pulling off songs live. That would be whoever was playing drums for Hammerfall when they toured with Edguy. I saw them twice on that tour and Hammerfall sucked it both times. Nobody was together and the drummer was all over the place - not just tempo-wise, but dropping beats everywhere, all night long. Both nights.

I've seen a lot of shows and a lot of drummers and I'll be damned if nearly all of them didn't pull off the stuff on the record to perfection:

Did Richard Christy pull off the kick drums in "Wolf"? Yes. I saw them on that tour three times. And he fucking rules.

Did Gene Hoglan nail everything on the Symbolic tour? And when he played with SYL when they opened for Testament? Hell yes.

How about Tempesta on tour with Testament after the release of Live at the Fillmore? Or Bostaph the same night playing with Forbidden? Every fucking note. Spot-on.

Felix in Edguy - who I've seen three times now. Every note right in the pocket. Jeff Plate in Savatage - tears it up.

Mike Portnoy? I actually saw him chuff one tom fill one time. The look on his face was priceless. That was in the first song of the night. The rest was flawless.

How about Tom Hunting and Louie Clemente - guys who hadn't played in years when I saw them last. Hunting floored my drummer, who is not easily impressed. Louie was clearly sweating through Trial by Fire but he still pulled it off. And the night I saw him he played the whole show - Tempesta didn't play the first half.

Van Williams also rips it up and I've seen Nevermore about a dozen times since 2000.

Vesa Ranta, who is probably one of my favorite drummers? In the pocket every time.

Jan Rechberger & Pekka Kasari? Both played just like on the record.

HOW ARE THESE GUYS FAKING ANYTHING IN THE STUDIO WHEN THEY CAN CLEARLY PERFORM THE SONGS IN A LIVE SETTING?

Maybe your real problem is your taste in music. Who the fuck ever said music has to be performed poorly to be honest? I listen to bands like Testament and Nevermore and Exodus because I enjoy listening to top-notch musicians playing heavy music. It's all the better for me when the production is also top-notch. In fact, shitty production turns me off even when the band is great and the performance is tight - that's precisely why I've always hated Slayer records. I think they have great songs but until recently they have always sounded like under-produced garbage. But live? Holy shit. If you doubt Lombardo's ability for even a second you should just go lay down and die right now because there's no hope for you.

If you get a hard-on from shitty bands who will always have shitty recordings because they suck too bad for any kind of label support then there's no help for you. They're "underground" for a reason.

ryan

^^ well said dude ive gotten into many arguments with some black metal freinds of mine who say for it to be true black metal it has to sound under-produced, who in their right mind would want to listen to something that sounds like absolute garbage.

Does everyone have to love everything Andy does 100%?

If you don't then why are you here? Obviously there is something about his productions you like. Take any of the guitar tones or bass tones he uses and put them in an under produced utterly shit mix and they will turn into utterly shit tones as well....

If your here then you obviously like Andy's work. The quality of the Guitars, Drums, Bass, Vox ... whatever it may be is only as good as the production behind it.

Andy's tones work cause of the way the ENTIRE production sounds. Even the drums.

As for the GRID thing, So what... it makes things TIGHT. Listen to the old testament albums then listen to First Strike ... which sounds better to you?

Personally i LOVE First Strike, granted the guitars are tuned down and shit but its SO FUCKING HEAVY. It sounds like LIVE Testament as it should.

Oh .... also, you do realize a lot of drummers actually trigger their kits live. Are they cheating ???

I only record straight to water.

Real original. Any chimp can quote a TV show. Just like any chimp can throw a shit mic in front of a kit and say:

"go for it, man! Capturing the vibe is what's important"

You fucking hippies make me sick. This forum in particular, (maybe you missed it-SNEAP PRODUCED ALBUMS) is for us mere mortals to learn a few things about Andy's production techniques, not for you to troll around with your de-evolution indy rock bullshit.

I'm sure there's a reason why so many other bands demand that Andy is at the board. I'm sure there's a reason they keep coming back. And I'm also very sure that you're probably just some wannabe know it all fuck stick that lives in your mom's basement.

Kill yourself or shut the fuck up.

Veteran San Francisco Bay Area metallers TESTAMENT were honored with the "Album of the Year" Metal Hammer Golden Gods Award for their latest album, "The Formation of Damnation". TESTAMENT beat out the other worthy contenders in this category: ATREYU, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE, CHILDREN OF BODOM and DOWN.

The Metal Hammer Golden Gods 2008 awards ceremony was held earlier tonight (Monday, June 16) at the IndigO2 (O2 Arena) in London, UK.

"The Formation of Damnation" debuted at #59 on the Billboard Top 200 chart and has sold nearly 33,000 copies since its April 29 release. "The Formation of Damnation" is TESTAMENT's highest-charting release in the band's 24-year history. The album also dominated at radio, holding the #1 spot on both CMJ and FMQB for several consecutive weeks.

Currently playing the festival circuit in Europe, TESTAMENT will play eight shows with JUDAS PRIEST in late July before kicking off the Metal Masters Tour on August 6 in Camden, New Jersey with JUDAS PRIEST, HEAVEN AND HELL and MOTÖRHEAD.

I only record straight to water.

how dare yous reference dethkloks you donts know dicks froms dildos so shuts your faceface mr.douchebag.......not sorry about the douchebag my blood sugar is just fine thanks.