TESTAMENT

The Formation of Damnation is a monstrous album. It's so fucking massive. Definetely the kind of album i've been waiting to hear from the lads. Could've used a bit more thrashy parts here and there, but one always has to bitch about an end-product afterwards. Even if it turned out fantastic.

I remember listening to the first 'leaked' track which was put online on some radio site. I believe it was 'More than Meets the Eye'. The drumming sounds so insanely groovy, it became an instant favorite after that.

I was quite sceptical about having Paul Bostaph on the job at first. I mean, I dug his work on the new Exodus and all, but I'm not sure that uber-technical approach would work on the new Testament record. I'm glad he kept it more simplistic, yet fucking ace.

I wouldn't mind having Johnny Tempesta back in the band as a full-timer though. Best drummer they've had IMO. Just listen to his improvised versions of the classic Testament thrashers on FSID. Or the most solid ever performance on the Live in London DVD!

[Fan-boy mode OFF]

I have to say that this is one of the best sounding metal albums I have heard from a production stand point. The drums sound freaking amazing! I only wish I could get my my toms to cut through the mix and still sound as natural as they do. I read somewhere that Chuck Billy always layers 2 vocal tracks, and honestly if I didn't already know that I would not have been able to tell, it's so tight. The guitars sound amazing as well! Killer tone, and everything just sounds so balanced and cuts through. Then the bass just drives the low end like it should. Henchmen Ride is a song that usually use as a reference track when I'm mixing a metal band, in other words, it's one of my benchmarks.

I am so amazed at the production of this album I just want to listen to it over and over again, not to mention the whole CD freaking ROCKS as well, killer songs and :kickass::headbang:Fantastic job Andy!

I haven't seen Eric Peterson with any guitars recently that have passive pickups in them.

I know Skolnick uses passives but he rarely tracks rhythms on any of the albums. I've even seen Skolnick's name on the Dimarzio website next to pickups like the Evolution.

I wouldn't call that too recent really. I know it's their latest release, but I've personally seen Testament live twice since that DVD has been released, and I've never seen Peterson with a guitar that doesn't have EMGs.

I'm not trying to make it a big issue or anything, I'm just saying what I've seen in my experience, and it is likely he always uses EMGs to record with as well.