TESTAMENT

Ok, first of all, i Mentioned (many times) i meant no disrespect so it wasn't like i was just handing out all sorts of shit to Andy's mixes.
I stated My opinion (seeing that this is a discussion board) with reason and examples.
In the opeth watershed Thread, a few people have said they're not fond of the Deliverance drums sound with not much reason behind it.

So why do you give me shit about my opinion when
1 It's a discussion board
2 I meant well in thinking it could be constructive criticism (might not have come out that way)

and not give them hard time.

I'm giving you sh*t for this because saying "they sound sampled" is not the same thing as saying that you don't like the way the drums sound. Why would you say something like that?

There is a big difference b/w these two:
"I don't mean to offend you but your work sounds fake."
"I prefer other work of yours to this one."

hellokittyetchasketchpurse_small.jpg

i find this thread interesting as to me the drums sound totally different to opeth, I guess its just the character of the drums I go for you don't like, which is fair enough cause the bands come to me because they like that so I'm not offended by your opinion.

I just did a mix of a rerecorded version of souls of black by the way, you may want to AB guitar tones against that and change your opinion, (or maybe not...but I wont agree with you) when you say that has a better gtr tone.

Oh andy please tell me you DID NOT change the tone on that song. Something about it i really liked. As for the rest of it it was ok, Ill trust you though on this. Your the man and I'm the peon.....lol

That album has this dark characteristic in the tone that I really liked. It may not have been the best tone they ever recorded, but its was different fromt he other stuff at the time. The tone on the gathering is still the best imho though. Something about the fatness and looseness of it make me go ... oooooooohhh myyyy gooooddddd

The tone you got on the new album is a close second though.

yeah its not a remix its a rerecording. Bonus track thats all. I actually prefer this to the gathering tone wise, I didn't feel the gtrs cut enough on that tho it had a good energy.

Well we all listen with different ears, thats what makes this such a great thing. Music is different for everyone :)

Dont get me wrong, the tone on the new record its awesome, just personal preference :)

Amazing job as always Andy, Cheers, have a pint on me !!

lol ok, Maybe I'll make myself more clear before this gets out of hand. I think The new Testament Sounds Awesome as i listen to it pretty often, It was just the toms, nothing else, that 'bothered' me.
And by that i don't mean i can't listen to the band because i enjoy everything else (music/production) except for the sound of one specific instrument, because that would be just stupid. I wouldn't be posting here if i didn't like Sneaps work...

@Genius Gone Insane: in the JFAC Thread.

James Murphey said:
just bought the cd earlier today and everything sounds great as usual... killer job by Andy once again. all the drum tones are kiiler. Snare/tom fills sound very precise and very sample heavy. sounds great but it makes me think perhaps it was some poor sounding original drums or perhaps a stylistic consideration or deliberate aesthetic choice maybe? either way... another sweet mix by Sneap Doggy Dogg. m/

So why didn't JM get shat on? Should i have perhaps said "Sample Heavy"?

lol ok, Maybe I'll make myself more clear before this gets out of hand. I think The new Testament Sounds Awesome as i listen to it pretty often, It was just the toms, nothing else, that 'bothered' me.
And by that i don't mean i can't listen to the band because i enjoy everything else (music/production) except for the sound of one specific instrument, because that would be just stupid. I wouldn't be posting here if i didn't like Sneaps work...

@Genius Gone Insane: in the JFAC Thread.

So why didn't JM get shat on? Should i have perhaps said "Sample Heavy"?

No you have a valid point. Though his words came in a more positive light.

Just bought the album today. Killer songs and production, it's all I could wish for and more.

I enjoyed the Making of footage too (could have been longer!)... nice extensive walk around the miced up drumset (at first I thought those Yamaha kick mics were snares mounted to the bassdrums... haha) and too funny watching Chuck Billy play air guitar in the vocal booth! :D

Imho the Formation of damnation is among the five best metal albums ever recorded, and that goes for both for the music and the production, nice job Andy! :worship:
Btw. i really like the tomsound, it´s your best production since The gathering and Dead heart in a dead world, along with the new Exodus record and that says alot.:OMG:

I love the sound of the new album. This is probably my favorite Testament guitar tone ever. The re-recorded Souls of Black must rule. My big gripe with Souls of Black (for, I suppose, the last 18 years) has been that the guitars sound, to me, like a Crate practice amp. I love the album, but the tones are iffy.

I didn't want to say this because i don't want to get flamed, and i mean no disrespect, But the Drums (specifically the toms) sound to 'processed' and over sampled imo of course..dunno, it just lacks a bit of 'fatness' or 'feel'. Like Behemoths Apostasy where you 'feel' the toms every time he smacks 'em.

It sounds the same as the drum sound from JFAC and similar to Opeth's "deliverance" which I'm not too fond of. If you listen to "the formation of damnation" (the song) and JFAC's "reduced to mere filth" you can hear the similarity. Not sure the reason behind choosing that particular sound for drums 'cuz i know andy has done better (once again Just my opinion).
Despised Icon's latest had a slightly better tom sound, still sampled i know but doesn't lack as much body.
For a Band like Testament where the riffs and beats are really groovy and "head-bang-full" (not a real word) i would assume the "feel" aspect to be more dominant. (one again, no disrespect intended)

dunno, might just be a preference thing, I'm sure a lot of folks here will disagree with me.

I 100% agree with you.

Drums sound TOO good. It does not sound like a drummer playing rolls at all. In fact it does not sound like Bostaph as his subtleties are lost in production. There is no emphasis on certain drum hits like he did on Forbidden's stuff (where he would put a LOT of accents on certain rolls/snares mid roll). It's all machine gun style in your face drums. Sounds huge but huge 100% of the time leaves to room for crescendos.

Now his rolls sound like Job for a Cowboy rolls.

I would push Chuck Norris down the stairs to get that tone on my crap but I feel a lot of the vibe is taken away by the drums.

And to the poster arguing about terminology/samples, that is being pedantic as you know EXACTLY what he is referring to.

Sneap is the king but now I am jaded from the uber drums aspect of metal where drummers are for the most part faceless.

I find myself looking towards the garage bands quality New Thrash movement to get my fix. At least that stuff is chaotic. Not 100% pristine perfection. Metal's chaotic imperfections it what drew me towards it in the first place.