The Metal in terms of fashion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since when was metal about fashion? Thats the gayest thing ever. I'd rather BE a metalhead than look like one.

I'm wearing Abercrombie and Fitch clothes to the next show I go to, and hopefully I can piss off some people who actually think clothing has anything to do with musical taste.

Some people can pull off the look normally ASSociated with metal music, but I certainly cant. I wear almost all Aeropostale/Abercrombie and Fitch/Hollister/American Eagle stuff nowadays.

Haha why did you have to under case "ASS."

Really in the end all that matters is that you have a sense of style.

I prefer women who dress "tastefully," ie. styles that don't scare old people, or give people's moms a bad impression.

As for myself, I don't follow fashion trends in pop-culture, nor do I make any effort to look like a metal fan either. I just wear what's comfortable. In fact, most of my friends tell me that I don't seem like the death metal type, and they're usually quite surprised by the contents of my playlist.

Here are some examples:

Picture3.jpg

20070606-002.jpg

Picture14.jpg

I guess I do look sort of metal in these pictures though:

ThinkingTabor.jpg

Tabor-BigHat.jpg

20070529-008.jpg

20070529-009.jpg

Metal shirts are essential. You can wear jeans or khakis; boots or sneakers; bullet belts or no belt; long hair or no hair. Without a band shirt (or a least a blank black shirt) at a show, you're nothing. That's the only real required part. The rest can be changed around as seen fit. I would rather wear $15 black slacks from Target than blue jeans. They're more comfortable anyway.

As for those who wear Abercrombie and expect to be taken seriously by the metal community: read the LotFP essay titled Scum. In essence, metal is about individuality above all else. If you fucking love Bathory, wear a Bathory shirt, and who gives a damn who else is wearing one. Wear shirts for bands you like because you like them. If you want to wear Abercrombie, you're setting yourself up to be perceived as "one of them". There's nothing about that outfit that will lead people to believe that you have taste or opinions that matter.

If "metalhead" is primarily the way you see yourself and wish to present yourself to others, then wear band shirts as much as possible. Otherwise, you look like a poser and you probably are one. Metal shouldn't be something you hide from the rest of the world so you still look cool at frat parties. Trendy clothing says you still give a fuck about what people think about you, which as a metalhead is something you should not care the slightest about.

@BlackMetalWhiteGuy

You could have some seriously powerful power metal hair if you grew it out long enough (it's a compliment).

My only real complaint about female 'metalheads' or girls into metal is that really, they aren't very passionate or knowledgeable in regards to the music they listen to, it is extremely rare that I find one who is. This of course applies to many people, but I can't help but notice how evident this is in regards to females. Many are just casual fans of metal in general, and maybe like a few select songs by popular bands, and really don't care to go any further. And I don't know why, but it seems like almost all females I know sum up their musical taste as "I like everything"...:erk:
I agree, "I like everything" is VERY common reply when you ask what they listen to.
This also applies to everything in their lives too. It is very rare for girls to really have a passionate interest which they know alot about and really geek into. That is a real turn off and is the main reason why most girls are really boring.

Metal shirts are essential. You can wear jeans or khakis; boots or sneakers; bullet belts or no belt; long hair or no hair. Without a band shirt (or a least a blank black shirt) at a show, you're nothing. That's the only real required part. The rest can be changed around as seen fit. I would rather wear $15 black slacks from Target than blue jeans. They're more comfortable anyway.

As for those who wear Abercrombie and expect to be taken seriously by the metal community: read the LotFP essay titled Scum. In essence, metal is about individuality above all else. If you fucking love Bathory, wear a Bathory shirt, and who gives a damn who else is wearing one. Wear shirts for bands you like because you like them. If you want to wear Abercrombie, you're setting yourself up to be perceived as "one of them". There's nothing about that outfit that will lead people to believe that you have taste or opinions that matter.

If "metalhead" is primarily the way you see yourself and wish to present yourself to others, then wear band shirts as much as possible. Otherwise, you look like a poser and you probably are one. Metal shouldn't be something you hide from the rest of the world so you still look cool at frat parties. Trendy clothing says you still give a fuck about what people think about you, which as a metalhead is something you should not care the slightest about.

You're completely wrong here.

Trendy clothing says you still give a fuck about what people think about you, which as a metalhead is something you should not care the slightest about.

Then why should you give a fuck about "looking like a metalhead" when other people's opinions don't matter? You and the ones like you got that attitude I can't stand about TR00 METAL wannabes, first "shouting out" that you like metal (through clothing etc) and that people don't understand what "metal" is all about, and then pretend to not care what they think about you because they aren't "metal" enough anyway. What matters to you is not that people like your style but that it is noticed as different. Poser.

Cute :)

You look like Chris Broderick.
newspic_namm_show07_23_z0.jpg

(left)

I don't see the resemblance though.
@BlackMetalWhiteGuy

You could have some seriously powerful power metal hair if you grew it out long enough (it's a compliment).
Haha, thanks. I loved my hair when it was longer and I really regret cutting it. It was just so damn hot this summer that I couldn't stop sweating and I'd have had to shower like three times a day to keep it clean :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.