The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

You're right in that Japan doesn't have the "paper mill" e-degree thing like the U.S. does, but that's because Japanese people are terrified of computers.

I'm an American with a REAL DEGREE from REAL UNIVERSITY too (should I say it again just to prove I'm better than people with online degrees?). Have fun in school, good times!

*facepalm*

Woman! I'm not discrediting anyone for pursing anything, whether it be nursing assistant online or a doctorates in theology! I'm appalled by not only these paper mills, but these for profit companies that over-price their tution exponentially compared to a local community college or university that is non-profit and actually cares for the education taught to their alumni.

edit ^ just making a point to a sensitive subject for me.

How is charging $50,000 a year for a diploma "non-profit?" Education is money in the US. If you can get suckers to pay for it, go wild.

As a reference point, my school's landscaping budget was $1 million per year.

Difference between a non-profit vs. a non-profit university of college.

While I'm already going on my 3rd year, I have not paid a cent in tuition or anything! Everything has been handed down to me from the government and other smaller establishments of the university and/or local organizations related to academia. These are NOT loans. But I digress! Here's some simplicity of the difference

- for profit schools run like a business aimed at only making money, whereas non-profit schools, although also a business and also aimed at making money, are also focused on other projects including research, community and/or city wide functions, and various other projects. They also do not soley get their money from student tuition.

- for profit schools, as stated, are exeptionally high. For instance, my cousin decided to go back to school and chose an online degree from Ashford University based in Iowa. He asked me to help him with his studies because he hasn't been in school in over 15 years and really is the "party" type of person that negelcts his and has neglected his studies. No matter how hard I tried he, sadly, failed. But, once again, I digress! My point here is that one day I was looking over his account informaton and was shocked at his expenses to the school. More specifcally, he had only taken 3 classes online which are only 5 weeks long each! Each class cost him around 1,100 dollars! In the end, even though he dropped-out, he owed, and probably still does, this company about 4,400 thousand dollars! Compared to my schooling which is around 350-600 a class and an entire semester full time (5-6 classes) cost me about 2.5-3k! And the classes are months, not weeks, long.

- the instructors at a for-profit school have no to very little tenure in the world of academia. More specifcally, whereas at a real college/university, for-profit professors are generally poor quality, not invovled in research, and these for-porfit schools have very loose qualifications for professor employment.

- Lastly, there is more but it is getting late, advertisement for a non-profit school vs. a for-profit school is obviously different. For instance, in the pat 3-4 months I've only seen one, MAYBE two, commercials for my University which is right down the street from where I live. Devy University called me for months, even during the summer, heckling me to join their alumni until I finally answered the phone telling them I'm already applied to somehwhere else. How did they get my number? I've NEVER applied for any other school or ANYTHING....once again...HOW THE HELL DID THEY GET MY NUMBER?

In conclusion, an article for your reading pleaure;

http://www.theawl.com/2010/10/how-the-for-profit-college-can-destroy-your-life

Yeah nurses usually make no where near $80k. If anything the entry nurse makes between $35-$40k for an LVN, and $45k for an RN. The only way people usually make more is when they specialize and have a masters degree in said specialization (even then $80k is high). It also depends on where they are employed (so wages may certainly be lower than what I listed right now for new entries).

In Omaha, RN starts at 50000/year. It's almost 70000/year in Minnesota. It does depend on the state you're in. I know because I'm going through Nursing school and I've researched all that crap and asked nurses during my clinicals. I'm going into med/surg nursing but that won't make a difference on the starting wage.

Difference between a non-profit vs. a non-profit university of college.

While I'm already going on my 3rd year, I have not paid a cent in tuition or anything! Everything has been handed down to me from the government and other smaller establishments of the university and/or local organizations related to academia. These are NOT loans. But I digress! Here's some simplicity of the difference

- for profit schools run like a business aimed at only making money, whereas non-profit schools, although also a business and also aimed at making money, are also focused on other projects including research, community and/or city wide functions, and various other projects. They also do not soley get their money from student tuition.

- for profit schools, as stated, are exeptionally high. For instance, my cousin decided to go back to school and chose an online degree from Ashford University based in Iowa. He asked me to help him with his studies because he hasn't been in school in over 15 years and really is the "party" type of person that negelcts his and has neglected his studies. No matter how hard I tried he, sadly, failed. But, once again, I digress! My point here is that one day I was looking over his account informaton and was shocked at his expenses to the school. More specifcally, he had only taken 3 classes online which are only 5 weeks long each! Each class cost him around 1,100 dollars! In the end, even though he dropped-out, he owed, and probably still does, this company about 4,400 thousand dollars! Compared to my schooling which is around 350-600 a class and an entire semester full time (5-6 classes) cost me about 2.5-3k! And the classes are months, not weeks, long.

- the instructors at a for-profit school have no to very little tenure in the world of academia. More specifcally, whereas at a real college/university, for-profit professors are generally poor quality, not invovled in research, and these for-porfit schools have very loose qualifications for professor employment.

- Lastly, there is more but it is getting late, advertisement for a non-profit school vs. a for-profit school is obviously different. For instance, in the pat 3-4 months I've only seen one, MAYBE two, commercials for my University which is right down the street from where I live. Devy University called me for months, even during the summer, heckling me to join their alumni until I finally answered the phone telling them I'm already applied to somehwhere else. How did they get my number? I've NEVER applied for any other school or ANYTHING....once again...HOW THE HELL DID THEY GET MY NUMBER?

In conclusion, an article for your reading pleaure;

http://www.theawl.com/2010/10/how-the-for-profit-college-can-destroy-your-life

Um, you do realize how much private universities cost right? Or public universities with out of state tuition? There's not a single private university that charges $350-600 a class (i.e. $100-200 a credit), so its illogical to expect a for profit university to charge that as well.

Where did I say that a private university cost that much? where? I said MY university which is a non private school charges me about that much per class. I also never said a for profit school charges that much.

In Omaha, RN starts at 50000/year. It's almost 70000/year in Minnesota. It does depend on the state you're in. I know because I'm going through Nursing school and I've researched all that crap and asked nurses during my clinicals. I'm going into med/surg nursing but that won't make a difference on the starting wage.

We both agree that states matter! I'm in California, where my sister (training to be a nurse) and mother (35+year veteran) are nurses (she's worked everywhere, but I especially loved when she ran the departments in City of Hope). And as I said, a area of specialty will certainly get you closer to that wage, but you will not get it just as an LVN/RN UNLESS the place you are working for is willing to hire on that high. And more likely than not you will only get that as an RN (less work & more pay).

Just got out of the shower and hungry as fuck because i didnt eat because i was too busy playing the games that arrived in the mail today