The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Fuck I know, we'll see what happens. For now, I have the 55-250mm which does a pretty good job. Looking towards a 50mm prime next, mainly so I can start on concert photography.

Nifty Fifty is where it is at. Your body probably doesn't have the best low light performance, but that fast lens will make up for any drawback. Just remember the basics about concert photography:

1. Shoot RAW
2. Set your camera to auto ISO and pick a pretty high max level (3200-6400) - sometimes light is just that bad.
3. Flash is only alright if the band authorizes it
4. Tv/Av is your friend.
4a. Av to set your aperture as wide as possible' this mode will auto adapt everything.
4b. Tv because if you want to stop action in it's tracks, it is best to let the camera deal with calibrating everything else while you set the shutter speed. (hell, 1/125 or above should be fine for that - but double check with your camera, do a few test shots while a shitty band is on stage :lol:)
5. My own advice: bring one SD card for every one/two bands. I shoot A LOT though, so you may not need it. Still though, bring at least two cards, RAW is huge but worth it.

I always listen to mindless dance music when I run. Sometimes I'll step it up a notch and put on Kraftwerk, there's something very zen about listening to myself breathe during "Computerliebe."

Audiobooks would be an interesting idea Zephyrus but given my recent track record of falling, I think it might be overwhelming as far as multi-tasking is concerned.

Nifty Fifty is where it is at. Your body probably doesn't have the best low light performance, but that fast lens will make up for any drawback. Just remember the basics about concert photography:

1. Shoot RAW
2. Set your camera to auto ISO and pick a pretty high max level (3200-6400) - sometimes light is just that bad.
3. Flash is only alright if the band authorizes it
4. Tv/Av is your friend.
4a. Av to set your aperture as wide as possible' this mode will auto adapt everything.
4b. Tv because if you want to stop action in it's tracks, it is best to let the camera deal with calibrating everything else while you set the shutter speed. (hell, 1/125 or above should be fine for that - but double check with your camera, do a few test shots while a shitty band is on stage :lol:)
5. My own advice: bring one SD card for every one/two bands. I shoot A LOT though, so you may not need it. Still though, bring at least two cards, RAW is huge but worth it.

My SD card is 8 gigs so it shouldn't be much of a problem. And what program do you use to edit/process RAW? I took some RAW (With jpeg) pictures to see the differences, but couldn't do anything with the RAW. And my max ISO is only 1600 I think.

Also, what are your thoughts on a 28-70mm f/2.8? Someone is selling the lens (sigma) with a Canon 20d for $250. I was thinking of buying it all, keeping the lens, and selling the camera on eBay since it goes for about $200-$250 anyways. I just wonder how adequate the 28-70mm would be.

just got back from a record 12.5 hour work day / rite of passage. it was my first time upgrading a production server, which should have taken less than an hour but turned into a 5 hour comedy of errors. god damn, I rule at this job.

renhappyhelmet.jpg

My SD card is 8 gigs so it shouldn't be much of a problem. And what program do you use to edit/process RAW? I took some RAW (With jpeg) pictures to see the differences, but couldn't do anything with the RAW. And my max ISO is only 1600 I think.

Also, what are your thoughts on a 28-70mm f/2.8? Someone is selling the lens (sigma) with a Canon 20d for $250. I was thinking of buying it all, keeping the lens, and selling the camera on eBay since it goes for about $200-$250 anyways. I just wonder how adequate the 28-70mm would be.

I use an 8gig card too; trust me it will fill up fast.
You might as well just set it up to auto-switch up to 1600 if that's your highest ISO, usually that is the minimum as it is anyway. If you were able to get into Scion fest with that camera though you wouldn't have to worry about it till later though.
As for RAW, I use Lightroom 3.3/CS5 Photoshop Extended 64bit. You can download a free month trial for all the programs off of adobe's website, and I suggest doing so because it makes everything dramatically easier. Give me an email and I'll send you some info.

As for the lens, I know the canon version was the precursor to the 24-70 2.8L, and it was a pretty damn good lens. I have no idea about the sigma though. Where the hell are you getting these deals?

Well, I'm currently posting the skeleton of a new Ichorous track called "You Are The Salt In My Wound.":

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/64250-01.YouAreTheSaltInMyWound.mp3

an untreated wound
heals so slowly
it can hardly be said
to heal at all

you are the salt in my wound
you are the pain in my nerves
the everlasting cancer
which no-one will ever cure

a blister which burns, peels
bleeds, a crimson stain
a welt, a stinging red
reminder of your face

where i once was, you are
where you once fell, i tried
no more speech, the thoughts melt
no more pain, the bleeding stops

but still...

I use an 8gig card too; trust me it will fill up fast.
You might as well just set it up to auto-switch up to 1600 if that's your highest ISO, usually that is the minimum as it is anyway. If you were able to get into Scion fest with that camera though you wouldn't have to worry about it till later though.
As for RAW, I use Lightroom 3.3/CS5 Photoshop Extended 64bit. You can download a free month trial for all the programs off of adobe's website, and I suggest doing so because it makes everything dramatically easier. Give me an email and I'll send you some info.

As for the lens, I know the canon version was the precursor to the 24-70 2.8L, and it was a pretty damn good lens. I have no idea about the sigma though. Where the hell are you getting these deals?

I actually have a copy of Lightroom (I think it's 3.3 as well, if not then it's 3.2). I tried using it once and got a bit overwhelmed/confused. I also have Photoshop CS3 but I don't think it can open up RAW files (at least not the Canon ones....).

And on Craigslist, haha. So far I've found my car, my computer (well not any more), my camera, the 55-250mm lens, both of my jobs and so on. I emailed them about getting the camera/lens and am awaiting a response... Still waiting to hear from my friend on the 50-500mm lens too. It would be so cool having a lens with that much telephoto power.

Lightroom's interface is... a terrible thing to behold. Just try screwing with it a bit, eventually you will get the hang of it. Definitely different in layout when compared to photoshop (my native grounds).

I don't think CS3 has the .dng plugin naturally; get CS5 and block it from reaching the host server and verifying itself.

I'll tell you what I do for th whole thing. Maybe it matches what you do.

What I normally do is this:
1. Shoot RAW + Jpeg
2. Browse uploaded jpegs and delete whatever ones are shit.
3. After deleting useless jpegs, I highlight every RAW file that is missing its respective jpeg and throw it in the garbage can. It takes a little longer to do it this way, but I am less prone to mistakes this way too.
4. If I am using only PS, just double click on the RAW file and CS% opens up the little raw import screen - on here you can change the white balance, saturation, vibrance, mess with camera noise reduction/CA/vignetting, etc. After you are done changing that stuff PS automatically saves a separate file detailing what you changed and applies in to the RAW file - that way if you open it via double-clicking on the RAW it will auto load your changed settings. If at all you don't like those setting, just delete the extra file and everything reverts to normal!

I am still getting the hang of LR3.3, but essentially it makes everything I do by hand (the above) much easier and faster. I have my files formatted like this: xx-xx-xxxx (date) - event name; so when I open LR, I simply import the new folder and all the RAW files load up automatically. There isn't really a hassle with anything - it just opens everything. The flagging system is really nice in LR too, and is much faster than my method of staring at jpegs that I noted above - I just use my method out of habit (trying to fix that though).

From what every single photography person has told me, use LR first (because it not only has the best options, but is essentially fool-proof and has better noise/everything removal functions), then use PS for the down and dirty stuff.

I used CS3 before CS5... trust me, you will like CS5 more.