The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

I have the 6505+ which is the same amp. Obviously you play on the gain channel. I crank the "pre" volume most of the way up and turn the "post" volume way down so the house doesn't explode. Set the tone knobs how you like it, I do something like B:6 M:5 T:7 but that's playing with a band, playing alone you can scoop the tone a bit more for more metal-ness if you wish.

yeah I'm playing with a drummer who's using triggers. so I have a lot to cut through.

Then definitely use the higher mids, but...you shouldn't have any problem getting some pretty significant distortion out of it.

If any amp has more than enough gain for metal, it would be the 5150/6505. It's a 2 channel amp that shares the same EQ for both channels. Make sure the Lead channel is activated for metal, because the only tones you'll get for rhythm are probably crunchy hard rock sounds. Set the pre gain at around 7ish, Low: 6, Mids: 8, High: 6, Resonance: 6 Presence: 7. Crank the post gain to roughly about 3 or 4 or higher (this is your volume channel). You want to get your power tubes to start naturally distorting. Of course, change the settings as you see fit according to the tone you want. Seriously though, this amp has more than enough gain for death metal.

Sold prints and displayed my art at the festival thing at UNLV, it was pretty fun! Talked/networked with a lot of people, made some money, traded prints for artwork (got this really cool handpainted panoramic set thing, among others) and so on. Also got a new laptop I(old one's video card keeps failing), a Dell Studio 15, for $215 off of Craigslist. 4 gb of ram, a 320 gb hd, 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo etc, not bad for the price at all imo.

Relaxing on Sunday evening, really dehydrated but too lazy to get up and get a glass of water. Pulled a muscle doing pushups improperly. Spent the weekend with MP watching Star Trek and having a picnic by the castle and eating ice cream and candy.

Got very very drunk last night and I could tell because I basically yelled at somebody for claiming the Carthaginians were better than the Romans. I drank a lot of wine.

I just woke up, and to my surprise, no hangover whatsoever.

fuck-yeah.jpg

I just got back from Global Village Expo at Mogoșoaia palace. Have some photos to go through. Had a full fun weekend with a road trip with a lot of sponataneous destinations; I need to start studying desperatly in the next few hours.

Got very very drunk last night and I could tell because I basically yelled at somebody for claiming the Carthaginians were better than the Romans.

This reminds me of my conception of the parties you described in an account of your decadent past. I always imagined the idea of things "getting out of hand" being someone questioning the legitimacy of Thucydides or something like that.

I'm also surprisingly good at beer pong, despite playing it so rarely. May come in handy in future opportunistic social gatherings...

I hate beer pong. Takes longer to get drunk that way. If I want to get fucked up quick, I double-fist a handle of vodka and a bottle of orange soda. But I guess some people dislike drinking so much that it has to be a penalty.

If any amp has more than enough gain for metal, it would be the 5150/6505. It's a 2 channel amp that shares the same EQ for both channels. Make sure the Lead channel is activated for metal, because the only tones you'll get for rhythm are probably crunchy hard rock sounds. Set the pre gain at around 7ish, Low: 6, Mids: 8, High: 6, Resonance: 6 Presence: 7. Crank the post gain to roughly about 3 or 4 or higher (this is your volume channel). You want to get your power tubes to start naturally distorting. Of course, change the settings as you see fit according to the tone you want. Seriously though, this amp has more than enough gain for death metal.

Ok thanks guys! Next time I'm in the studio I'll try these settings out.
Does it matter that my cab is Randall? Shouldn't though right?

sure a cab will make a difference in sound. but you should be able to get the "metal as fuck" sound with any cab.
5150 through a Vader has got to be amazing.
I know my Ampeg through a Vader 2x12 is downright deadly

My other guitarist is using a XL Randall cab loaded with Celestion G12-75Ts and he gets a great heavy tone out of it. Cab really shouldn't matter, but I found my old Marshall 1960A cab had a really crap tone when I used my Framus Cobra.

Vader cabs are fucking boss and I want to own one.

Does Eligos live in Colorado? I think I saw him on TV at the Cubs-Rockies game. Or at least someone that looked like him.

A cab is just speakers. I have a homemade one with chintzy speakers salvaged from an AC30 and it still sounds fine.