The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

As for me, big day today. Film school interview. Real nervous. Drinking coffee and it's not even 5 am yet. Think Slayer is a good way to start off the day...

Slayer is a good way to start a day, marriage, funeral, just about anything.

What's it like working at a bookstore, Crimson? I've considered getting a job at a place like that (as an English major, that's what your degree gets you, right?) but I'm not completely sure yet. At this point I'm probably gonna be working at this toy store and freelance with my film/photography.

As for me, big day today. Film school interview. Real nervous. Drinking coffee and it's not even 5 am yet. Think Slayer is a good way to start off the day...

I've worked at two bookstores. The first was more of a traditional independent bookstore and it was awesome. Great coworkers, greater customers and just a really fun atmosphere to work in. It was a great post-college job because I didn't really know what I wanted to do for a career and since it's not the kind of job that comes home with you it allowed me to do a lot of intellectual exploration on my own. So I'd say it's a great "just for now" job for someone who doesn't need a lot of money to be happy and who has something intellectual or artistic they're working on on the side.

The second one was after I got my masters degree and was unable to get a job in education. It's a historical building and is more like a tourist shop. Business is slow and the overall structure is a little more corporate. It's not a bad job by any means, but it's very low action, which just isn't for me. I prefer jobs where I'm constantly going.

Toy store should be fun. Nothing's quite like seeing how pumped up kids get about toys. Cleaning the place is gonna be a bitch though.

The second one was after I got my masters degree and was unable to get a job in education. It's a historical building and is more like a tourist shop. Business is slow and the overall structure is a little more corporate. It's not a bad job by any means, but it's very low action, which just isn't for me. I prefer jobs where I'm constantly going.

Toy store should be fun. Nothing's quite like seeing how pumped up kids get about toys. Cleaning the place is gonna be a bitch though.

That was why I didn't go any further with getting my English degree (masters'). Was so afraid I wouldn't end up with an actual job (well, that and the fact that I could never get into/afford grad school, but...) That job actually sounds like it would be pretty fun to me, but hopefully you have something better lined up. Best of luck.

And yeah, I haven't gotten it yet, but these people hire ANYONE, and my friend has worked there for six years and is practically the manager. Everyone talks about how it's such a terrible place to work, but I figure it will be relatively temporary. Anything to pay the bills, right?

And I have to be at that interview in less than 40 minutes. Gahhh. My mom's still in the shower. Why can't I be on her car insurance...

Wish I could say the same about working in the pharmacy. My shitty 10 hour shift turned out to be an even shittier 11 hour shift. Got to love C-II Tuesday.

Our C-IIs now come via UPS because apparently there was a major drug problem going on at our warehouse hah

Unknown: Assuming you don't have anything beyond a bachelor's degree from a really good school (or happen to know someone) it seems impossible to get any kind of job these days it seems. I'm just a few credits shy of my bachelor's and can't go back, so I'm completely screwed right now.

So I went to that film school interview today. They liked me. The place was awesome. THEN they showed me how much the damn place would cost. Less than if I'd gone back to school, BUT JESUS! Freakin' expensive for a place that won't even give me college credit. But I would have a certificate in digital filmmaking (which is what I want to do) in addition to a double major in Psychology and English and a minor in Film and Television Studies. Guess you could say I've spent a little too much time in school...

Unknown: Assuming you don't have anything beyond a bachelor's degree from a really good school (or happen to know someone) it seems impossible to get any kind of job these days it seems. I'm just a few credits shy of my bachelor's and can't go back, so I'm completely screwed right now.

So I went to that film school interview today. They liked me. The place was awesome. THEN they showed me how much the damn place would cost. Less than if I'd gone back to school, BUT JESUS! Freakin' expensive for a place that won't even give me college credit. But I would have a certificate in digital filmmaking (which is what I want to do) in addition to a double major in Psychology and English and a minor in Film and Television Studies. Guess you could say I've spent a little too much time in school...

i was going to say
"just do the kind of job that doesn't require any kind of college degree at all"

but
with out a college degree the only hourly-wage-jobs you'll get won't pay enough to put food on the table

without a master's degree, you'll need to do something like being a musician/actor write a bestseller book, painting modeling etc etc in order to just freaking pay bills

a minor in Film and Television Studies

you might want to just get the camera/editing equitment and see if you can make money "filming" without having to pay to go to film school, like maybe trying to make viral youtube vid, or filming a movie and getting it into one of those "local theaters" that play "local movies" where only people in your hometown will ever see the movie

Jake: from my alma mater's career center:

English majors find work everywhere, 90% of it outside teaching. A small sampling of careers includes advertising, entertainment, journalism, law, management, marketing, mass media (film, radio, television), politics, professional writing and editing (creative or technical), public relations, and publishing. Some of these careers require additional education or experience, but many entry-level trainee positions in business and industry are available for graduates skilled in analysis and written expression.

English graduates are in demand by colleges and universities, consulting firms, historical societies, libraries, manufacturers, market research firms, medical institutions, public/private schools, research institutes, social service agencies, as well as in finance, insurance, manufacturing, market research, medicine, transportation, and travel.

Virtually every business today depends on people who create, edit, and analyze written texts. Organizing reports for written and oral presentation takes up 25-75% of a management position. Growing social illiteracy and the international movement of people and goods will make writers, editors, and analysts ever more valuable in the 21st century.

I have a friend who has a degree in Literature and has worked for two aerospace companies doing purchasing and orders. I used to be an academic advisor at CSULB. If you feel you're limited by a degree, it's because you're limiting yourself

I have a friend who has a degree in Literature and has worked for two aerospace companies doing purchasing and orders. I used to be an academic advisor at CSULB. If you feel you're limited by a degree, it's because you're limiting yourself

you're not really "limiting yourself by getting a degree"

but
when it comes to the mega-rich people that you can name off the top of your head, most of them didn't even finish highschool

i know some people will bitch at me for saying it
but at the end of the day
whether or not you make money, and whether or not you have a degree
are actually 2 completely totally seperate things

Warren Buffet, Charles Koch, David Koch, Michael Bloomberg, Jeff Bezos, Sergey Brin, Larry Page, George Soros, and Eli Broad, some of the wealthiest men in America, all went to and graduated from college. People like Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs went to college and dropped out, but they are not the norm; they are the exception. And while there is no guarantee you'll make billions of dollars after getting a college degree, there is a correlation between level of education and income:

http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

Ultimately, and for better or for worse, what determines who is successful is what you do with your time. I always tell my students the most important thing in college is networking with peers and faculty and getting experience.

Well either way, I never actually GOT my degree, my GPA was horrible, I have no job history and pretty much no social skills (I suck at interviews, but think I did alright today.) I think it runs in my family... my sister graduated from one of the top schools in the country in May (comm major) and still hasn't been able to find a job. Though if you went somewhere decent, did well enough and knew the right people, then you definitely have a chance to succeed (like Bill Gates... that's really not the best example, he only dropped out of college because he was already so successful.)

Okay, enough of the bitching. THE PLACE WAS AWESOME. I just need to see if the credits will transfer back to my old school and then I'll probably be registering. And this time I'll have to take it seriously because I'll be paying for it 100%. It's in a great area too, not far from my house and just a short train ride to my girlfriend's. It's a big decision to make though, especially considering the cost, so I'm gonna think about it for a while...