The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Just finished the first real week of my teaching credential/ MA ed. program.

The bad: This is absurdly time consuming. For example my Wednesday schedule: Be up at 5:30. Be out the door at 6:45. Be to Compton High by 7:45. TA in a class of 10th graders from 8 AM to 2:45 PM. Then I have a 3 hour class from 3:30 to 6:30, which sets me up to be leaving Compton exactly at rush hour! So I by the time I actually get out of my car it's about 7:45 or 8. The other days aren't quite as bad, but also not that much better. I'm taking 5 grad classes in addition to three days of in class observation/ participation. However you cut it, it's an insane amount of work.

The good: my cohort is awesome, my lead professor is an amazing and inspiring human being and my supervising teacher is willing to let me and my partner start teaching as soon as next week!

My middle school teacher really has her class on track, but the high school class is really not going well. Most of the class is failing. Most the students are English as Second language and while they are fluent, their skill level is way below grade level, so their academic self-esteem is low. Furthermore, I don't think a lot of the students see how the material connects to their lives, which is too bad because I think a lot of the stuff they're reading has relevant messages. Hopefully my partner and I can help them see the relevance and become more engaged. But it's gonna be a battle.

It's your chance to be one of those dedicated teachers, like in the movies. How do you reach these keeds?

Sounds like you have your hands full. However, I always thought if you really wanted to make a difference in people's lives there's no better way than working directly with them, which is pretty admirable with teachers. Moreover, you're not only young but seem patient and unbiased. I really think students take to that pretty nicely (especially if you're young it's easier for them to relate to you). No doubt it's going to be difficult, but i think you'll be alright.

I was always told Compton is like the king of the hoods, despite growing up in some really sketchy places.

Woke up at 4pm today. Felt so amazing to sleep for 12 hours. :kickass:

It's your chance to be one of those dedicated teachers, like in the movies. How do you reach these keeds?

So far I've found just giving them positive and genuine feedback on their ideas and work has gone really well. In my opinion, these students haven't been given enough positive reinforcement on their work and thoughts so they don't really believe in their intellectual worth. For a lot of these students, school is a place where they get criticized and yelled at for not doing well enough. And I get it. The teachers are evaluated based on the kids scores, so they get stressed when the kids don't do well and it's just a vicious cycle from which no one benefits. Part of the BS testing culture that education system has turned into.

But if the kids just see school as a place where they're told that they're not good enough then what motivation are they gonna have to turn it around. Especially when English isn't even the first language for a lot of them. It's something that was imposed on them in school.

Sounds like you have your hands full. However, I always thought if you really wanted to make a difference in people's lives there's no better way than working directly with them, which is pretty admirable with teachers. Moreover, you're not only young but seem patient and unbiased. I really think students take to that pretty nicely (especially if you're young it's easier for them to relate to you). No doubt it's going to be difficult, but i think you'll be alright.

I was always told Compton is like the king of the hoods, despite growing up in some really sketchy places.

Woke up at 4pm today. Felt so amazing to sleep for 12 hours. :kickass:

Yeah it's gonna be tough, especially once I actually have to lead the class. It's a totally different animal to deal with the students in small groups or individually and it's another to try and engage 30 kids at once.

But Compton really isn't that bad. It's poor, the economy is shit and there is a drug problem, but the vast majority of the population is working class families. Overall, I think it's gotten a really bad rep because it's so strongly associated with gangsta rap and all that, but there's really a lot more to it than that.

Yeah it's gonna be tough, especially once I actually have to lead the class. It's a totally different animal to deal with the students in small groups or individually and it's another to try and engage 30 kids at once.

But Compton really isn't that bad. It's poor, the economy is shit and there is a drug problem, but the vast majority of the population is working class families. Overall, I think it's gotten a really bad rep because it's so strongly associated with gangsta rap and all that, but there's really a lot more to it than that.

A challenge for sure, especially with high school kids. But being able to understand their differing circumstances that may lead them to not do well in school, definitely plays an important part in engaging them. I agree that positivity and high energy are great ways to help build their self-esteem. You're right, many people come to school and are just so overwhelmed by the demands they never feel they can catch up or meet them. I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do in every situation, but I've always liked when teachers were a bit more opened and told stories about themselves in class. It made them seem more like the students. Good luck, I think you'll do a great job.

Ha, yeah i definitely didn't think Compton was as dangerous as it was said to be.

as for what i'm doing, my sister and i just failed at our first attempt to make lasagna. but i ate it anyways because it doesn't have to be pretty or well-cooked... or tasty.

Started the new job today. The Cash Applications department that I was placed in uses 3 different ERP systems that range from highly antiquated to user friendly. Because of my technical background, I've been assigned to the group that manages the DOS-based ERP that our offices in the Pacific Northwest and Midwest use, so I get to feel retro all day.

Woke up at 6AM. Now I'm going to school, then I will go to a gallery with my lady friend (I don't fuck her ldo), and then I will bake a plum cake.

Good luck, I think you'll do a great job.

Thanks for the encouragement! Today the teacher texted me to say 7 of 33 kids did the outline for their paper and she was ready to give the class over to us :/

I know she's frustrated but I wish she would be less pessimistic with the kids.

as for what i'm doing, my sister and i just failed at our first attempt to make lasagna. but i ate it anyways because it doesn't have to be pretty or well-cooked... or tasty.

Nice. The funnest part of cooking is trying out new things and fucking up a few times until you perfect it.

Started the new job today. The Cash Applications department that I was placed in uses 3 different ERP systems that range from highly antiquated to user friendly. Because of my technical background, I've been assigned to the group that manages the DOS-based ERP that our offices in the Pacific Northwest and Midwest use, so I get to feel retro all day.

Dude, do you honestly expect us all to know what ERP and DOS are?

This thread is like a collective journal.

:tickled: