The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Pride used to be incredible, but when I started getting into the sport UFC had already started picking off the best guys so I think I missed its really great era

I'll kill you in darts, Ozz. :p

@ Pagan: Found the one with fat boy getting beat up by the french guy ..

here's another funny one, japanese guy get his balls wrecked ...

Pride used to be incredible, but when I started getting into the sport UFC had already started picking off the best guys so I think I missed its really great era

They have just about every PFC event on dvd. You should check em out. The true spirit of mixed martial arts lived, prospered and died with/in Pride imo. That shit was like the kumite from bloodsport, lol.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=pride+fc+dvd

The strikers in Pride at the time the UFC started to blow up were on a completely different level. It was almost uncompilable honestly. They even challenged the UFC to bring their best fighter to japan ... that's how Dana and Chuck ended up in Japan for his little Pride stint.

favorite KO was 2:08 mark. ICE COLD VOVCHANCHYN! One of the hardest punchers in the history of the sport.

badass highlight ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcgMl4ODEik

Last edited by a moderator:
I do remember that fat guy losing his teeth, that was from an early one. Maybe even UFC 1? So many of those early fights were either over in seconds or dragged on ridiculously as two out of shape people slugged it out. Also, any time a sumo guy was involved, you know he was going to get massacred.

I will have to check out more Pride stuff. Did you ever watch any of the K1 tournaments? I used to think they were fantastic back in the day.

--edit-- Just ordered the 2003 Pride GP dvd :)

Yea that was form the first UFC. Check out the other stuff i just edited into that post. You might enjoy em.

Yeah, i i love k-1. Glory is pretty cool too. But i kind of fell out of the loop last year. I think the last k-1 fight i watched was Petrosyan getting upset by Ristie.

edit: Niice! That's the one with Liddell testing out the Japanese waters. You should order some of the Legacy editions too, best bang for your buck. I think it's like 5 or 6 events in each package. You should also check out all the Final Conflicts and Shockwaves, that's where most of their Grand Prix finals took place.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Fc-Shockwave-Collection/dp/B003TKS7FS/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430784735&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=pride+shockwace+collection[/ame]
... another badass collection that you should keep an eye out for.

Cool, looks good TB thanks for the rec

I'll watch this dvd set and no doubt I will end up collecting a whole lot more...

Also kafka - great vid!

A friend of mine said that fight bored her to tears. Now idk what's up with that because I don't give a shit about that kind of thing, but it dropped me into one of my obsessive moods where I focus on one thing for like three days. And I can't get the image of her staring at the TV then bursting into years out of my head.

Or like standing in line at the grocery store then sobbing uncontrollably.

And I've been most obsessing over her throwing a bunch of documents in the air at work and screaming 'I'm BORED!' while banging her head against the desk repeatedly and crying like a little bitch.

Psh.... and they say I have problems.

This is a random question and you may not be amused by it, but what do you think of the Polgár family?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/László_Polgár

they're completely fascinating. i suspect there's some truth to his hypothesis that nurture vastly outweighs nature in its impact on things like 'talent' and 'genius', although the way he obsessively set out to prove it is pretty nuts. the most interesting thing about it is how happy they seem to be though - i guess having a clear path drawn for you and being equipped with the tools to navigate it must erase a lot of the anxiety that regular folks struggle with (on the flipside it may also prevent them from experiencing anything like the same diverse range of life's flavours - excuse the cheesy turn of phrase). while i'm sure a lot of humanists would decry their upbringing as depriving them of agency, i've never really bought into the idea of 'agency' and i'm not convinced said upbringing is that different to anybody else's in that regard - we're all 'brainwashed' by the conditions into which we're born and raised, it's just that the objective of their brainwashing is narrow and consciously shaped.

funnily enough, i never got chess coaching or really played it at all as a kid except occasionally with my grandad. i found it fun but never really cared about it or studied it. i joined the school chess club and we generally just fucked around playing games, didn't learn a great deal although it was practice i suppose. then i randomly entered a tournament as an 8 year old, won it, ended up on the county team a couple of years later. still didn't care, still never really studied it, my upbringing never prepared me to be a chess player in any specific way. in a more general sense i was extremely gifted with the fundamentals of literacy and numeracy etc so i probably had some 'transferrable skills' that i unknowingly applied? and i suppose it's possible that those transferrable skills were acquired more through nurture than nature? i couldn't possibly say, but it's interesting to think about.

I'LL SMASH YOU IN CHESS! :p

Yeah i love chess ... one of my favorite games of all time. As good as i am, i dont think i'd be able to last with any you tourney guys. I used to beat some of the guys in my HS chess club on a regular basis though. And i was baked as fuck about half the time. I used to trip those mofos out.

haha, i'm not amazing or anything, i'm never in the top section of any of the tournaments i enter although i do win money in the lower sections from time to time. i tend to hover around 1600-1700 ELO, if that means anything to you. i'd be up for a game with anyone on here anytime though, i've actually been using this really shitty iphone app to play random people just recently, if anyone wants a game then i'll give my details.

p.s. i love golf and darts but i suck balls at both of them. i'm still trying to get my first legit 180 or birdie.

I do not even watch boxing and knew this Pacquiao fight was coming up. That's how promoted it was. I watch UFC if I find it on, but am not going to watch two guy punch each other for an hour with gloves on.

they're completely fascinating. i suspect there's some truth to his hypothesis that nurture vastly outweighs nature in its impact on things like 'talent' and 'genius', although the way he obsessively set out to prove it is pretty nuts. the most interesting thing about it is how happy they seem to be though - i guess having a clear path drawn for you and being equipped with the tools to navigate it must erase a lot of the anxiety that regular folks struggle with (on the flipside it may also prevent them from experiencing anything like the same diverse range of life's flavours - excuse the cheesy turn of phrase). while i'm sure a lot of humanists would decry their upbringing as depriving them of agency, i've never really bought into the idea of 'agency' and i'm not convinced said upbringing is that different to anybody else's in that regard - we're all 'brainwashed' by the conditions into which we're born and raised, it's just that the objective of their brainwashing is narrow and consciously shaped.

funnily enough, i never got chess coaching or really played it at all as a kid except occasionally with my grandad. i found it fun but never really cared about it or studied it. i joined the school chess club and we generally just fucked around playing games, didn't learn a great deal although it was practice i suppose. then i randomly entered a tournament as an 8 year old, won it, ended up on the county team a couple of years later. still didn't care, still never really studied it, my upbringing never prepared me to be a chess player in any specific way. in a more general sense i was extremely gifted with the fundamentals of literacy and numeracy etc so i probably had some 'transferrable skills' that i unknowingly applied? and i suppose it's possible that those transferrable skills were acquired more through nurture than nature? i couldn't possibly say, but it's interesting to think about.

I think the problem with it is that the daughters are obviously genetically related to him. Also, I believe the whole family, bar the mother, is Ashkenazi Jewish, a group that is rather small, as a percentage of the world population, but have made up a lot of the upper rankings of world chess players for a long time. They also have the highest average IQ of races. So it hardly settles the nature nurture dispute.

I do not even watch boxing and knew this Pacquiao fight was coming up. That's how promoted it was. I watch UFC if I find it on, but am not going to watch two guy punch each other for an hour with gloves on.

You make out like the gloves have 'pussified' boxing or something, when they've actually made it more dangerous.

Obviously a sport where competitors spend half the time hugging on the floor is more manly.

As my piano teacher used to say, talent is 1% of success, the rest is hard work. :)

I find sport to be so fucking boring to watch that it's unbarable. In theory I could watch chess matches though. Motorsport is the most boring, I find. I like cars and everything, but the races are too long and there are too many cars, too far apart, on the tracks.

I find sport to be so fucking boring to watch that it's unbarable. In theory I could watch chess matches though. Motorsport is the most boring, I find. I like cars and everything, but the races are too long and there are too many cars, too far apart, on the tracks.

I strongly disagree with the cars. I mean, yes, F1 is boring as hell, but lower series like ETCC, MOTO GP, Superbikes, GTs are still fun to watch, or even Renault Clio Cup.

Anyone here a snooker fan?