The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Nobody goes to a bar to be healthy. Build yuppie bars by all means that don't allow smoking, but forcing bars and pubs that already did allow smoking to ban it is pathetic.

Drink at home if you're such a pussy.

It makes more sense for the people with habits that harm other people to drink and smoke at home, rather than subjecting everyone else to it.

You know what an appropriate time and place to smoke while drinking is? Whenever you want in your own home where other people who don't want second-hand smoke won't have it forced on them because you can't function without a cig.

Not everyone who goes to bars drinks themselves into an alcoholic coma and becomes oblivious to how nasty cigarette smoke is. A lot smokers are pretty rude about their already inherently rude to do in indoor spaces habit anyway.

I don't care if it sucks, it's stemming directly from a position of hedonism, it's not rational.

I already acknowledged that the majority of establishments have it banned anyway and so all I'm advocating for is that at least some portion of the old school pubs allow it to happen.

If you're so self-entitled that you just need to go to the small percentage of pubs that do allow smoking and force them to change rather than just going to a smoke free place, of which there are fucking heaps, in my opinion you're a cunt.

You're of course free to be a cunt.

If you're so self-entitled that you just need to go to the small percentage of pubs that do allow smoking and force them to change rather than just going to a smoke free place, of which there are fucking heaps, in my opinion you're a cunt.

Outside of this being a ridiculous premise to legislate, which is what most states do (no smoking in public establishments)

How is either side more self entitled in this issue?! People with shitty habits can't control themselves and people not trying to be exposed to shitty habits.

I think that the hedonism point of view becomes invalid when one person's behavior intrudes on other people in an undesirable fashion, such as second-hand smoke.

So why don't you both be honest and just say you want to prohibit smoking? Because the next step from "but the health of customers and staff" is "but the health of people you live with" and the next step from that is "but your neighbours if you smoke outside your home" and it just rolls on.

I wish people were smart enough not to smoke so it wouldn't have to be prohibited, but people will gladly waste money on cigarettes until the end of time.

Even if it had no effect on your health, it smells like shit and stains fingers/walls/clothes/etc. Just a stupid substance

Stupid legal substance that you should be free to partake in, or just ban it outright.

I think it's illiberal to leave it legal but then ban it almost everywhere, especially in places not allocated for upholding good health. Stupid contradiction.