The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

So, I broke professional code number 1 earlier this week and it was the best decision I've done.

I had one kid who was literally off the fucking walls. ADHD to the fucking max. He's also older (14) and like 6'2 so of course some of the other boys look up to him. It was becoming ridiculous because he'd set the entire class off and then when the kids followed him up they'd start bickering and shit.

Anyways I took him aside because it was affecting my teaching and straight up asked him if he had ADHD and if he's taking his meds. He told me he was taking them during the evening and I told him he needs to take them in the morning because he's literally getting zeros everyday.

Well, two days and excellent behavior. He told me he's been taking them. Obviously I've spoke to his parents too but I explained to him if he doesn't take them consistently it makes his behavior and personality really hard to control.

Look if kids are fucking bunkers like that they need their medication. His parents are Jamaican and they don't believe in medicine (in that way) but come on he couldn't sit still long enough to write his name.

Reactions: Phylactery
The rule here is that it is completely up to the parents whether they take medication for their ADHD or not until they're 16/17.

The thing is, this medication is proven to help a high percentage of sufferers and it makes their day more manageable and less stressful. The only issue is that its effectiveness seems to be reduced in the long term. But still, I'm not sure why some parents would deny their children this help. If they're strongly against medication, then they should be doing other things with them that are proven to help and make them child's day more manageable.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
I think I would have difficulty being nice to kids like that, I'd just be thinking that they're dragging down the smart kids.

Only had to work 2 hours today and spent most of that drinking beer with bossman. Bout to gym then get suitably drunk before Akercocke and whatever.

Anyone on here got or played a Kemper amp? Need to get something new and they seem like a decent choice from what I've seen/heard.

So, I broke professional code number 1 earlier this week and it was the best decision I've done.

I had one kid who was literally off the fucking walls. ADHD to the fucking max. He's also older (14) and like 6'2 so of course some of the other boys look up to him. It was becoming ridiculous because he'd set the entire class off and then when the kids followed him up they'd start bickering and shit.

Anyways I took him aside because it was affecting my teaching and straight up asked him if he had ADHD and if he's taking his meds. He told me he was taking them during the evening and I told him he needs to take them in the morning because he's literally getting zeros everyday.

Well, two days and excellent behavior. He told me he's been taking them. Obviously I've spoke to his parents too but I explained to him if he doesn't take them consistently it makes his behavior and personality really hard to control.

Look if kids are fucking bunkers like that they need their medication. His parents are Jamaican and they don't believe in medicine (in that way) but come on he couldn't sit still long enough to write his name.

It isnt like you forced the kid to take meds. From what it looks like, all you did was talk to the parents and explain to them why you think their kid should be on it. My brother had a bad case of ADHD as a child, and my mom was always being pressured by teachers to put him on meds. Is this really frowned upon now?

I think I would have difficulty being nice to kids like that, I'd just be thinking that they're dragging down the smart kids.

Yea probably, but they are still kids. Back when I was that age, I was a damn goofball. I was interested in the material, but on the other hand I resented the mundane and serious environment. I would frequently derail overly verbose ramblings by making sarcastic remarks and such. I was also clever enough to usually stay below the tolerance threshold of the teacher, but then again I did have teachers that didnt want to deal with my shit. In retrospect, I was just being a kid. Sure, I was often immature, but dealing with the process of developing children is the burden of the teachers who teach them. Drawing the line between average children and those with disabilities is often tougher than it seems.

Btw, I was tested at having an above average IQ and generally aced all of my undergrad classes at Uni. If I had intolerant teachers growing up, I may not have realized any of my potential. What im saying is that you cant judge the 'smart kids' by their level of maturity in the classroom at the age Funerary_Doom is talking about.

It isnt like you forced the kid to take meds. From what it looks like, all you did was talk to the parents and explain to them why you think their kid should be on it. My brother had a bad case of ADHD as a child, and my mom was always being pressured by teachers to put him on meds. Is this really frowned upon now?

Yea probably, but they are still kids. Back when I was that age, I was a damn goofball. I was interested in the material, but on the other hand I resented the mundane and serious environment. I would frequently derail overly verbose ramblings by making sarcastic remarks and such. I was also clever enough to usually stay below the tolerance threshold of the teacher, but then again I did have teachers that didnt want to deal with my shit. In retrospect, I was just being a kid. Sure, I was often immature, but dealing with the process of developing children is the burden of the teachers who teach them. Drawing the line between average children and those with disabilities is often tougher than it seems.

Btw, I was tested at having an above average IQ and generally aced all of my undergrad classes at Uni. If I had intolerant teachers growing up, I may not have realized any of my potential. What im saying is that you cant judge the 'smart kids' by their level of maturity in the classroom at the age Funerary_Doom is talking about.

Is it ever a good idea to claim to have a high IQ?

Talking about IQ within a circle of high IQ people who are interested in the topic would generally be fine, although I suppose petty jealousy could cause political problems if it was a workplace or circle of friend like objects you're trying to angle in a certain direction, for some material or female reward.

EternalMetal, um yeah. I know what you mean. I tend to think I spent much too long before I delved into decent books or even started using a certain level of meta-cognition. Whether or not that was due to innate weakness, late blooming, environment, or whatever, I get the general idea, give people space to develop, they may have a lot of potential.

My experience is that most times that people being up their IQ are situations where that information isn't relevant.

Yea, I wouldnt say that it is exclusively bad to do so, but im beginning to think I shouldnt have mentioned it. I forgot people get triggered over the stupidest shit.

My point was that I was glad that I had understanding teachers who didnt just demonize me as an obnoxious kid and helped me grow, because underneath my stupid antics I was someone genuinely interested in academic topics. I just didnt realize until my junior year of high school that I really was capable of learning things that some of my friends struggled with. If my teachers were less tolerant, I may not have become inclined to be the first person in my family to go to college. I just mentioned IQ as a fleeting point, why should teachers encourage students to be academic when they dont have the capacity? Im not even trying to brag (otherwise id probably add 10 points and post a number); forget I even mentioned it. Validity of IQ tests be damned, I dont care.

EternalMetal, um yeah. I know what you mean. I tend to think I spent much too long before I delved into decent books or even started using a certain level of meta-cognition. Whether or not that was due to innate weakness, late blooming, environment, or whatever, I get the general idea, give people space to develop, they may have a lot of potential.

Pretty much. I also acknowledge the original issue that you brought up though, which is that obnoxious kids can distract from the learning experience of others. if someone is being too much of a distraction, I do believe that they should be removed from the classroom. However it isnt really as simple as removing the distraction so that the 'normals' can prosper. Ill admit that some kids are just deviant fucks and that their rehabilitation just isnt worth it for a teacher who is trying to teach 20+ students in a classroom. Im sure everyone has their stories about some piece of shit that they had to deal with in their class.

In England, we label what EternalMetal was talking about as gifted and talented. If they're disruptive in lesson it's generally because they find the material easy and it's our job as a teacher to provide extension work that promotes higher order thinking.

It actually annoys me when a teacher labels a learner as disruptive, when the actual reason for that behaviour is that they've already mastered the material of that particular lesson and are now bored. It is their job to provide extension work, not complain that they're being disruptive.

@EternalMetal

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that you were doing that. I just mean that is usually when I encounter it.

I was actually half agreeing with you. Ive seen internet debates that resulted in people bringing up degrees, grades, and shit like IQs in order to add weight to their claims, and it just makes them look like morons.

In England, we label what EternalMetal was talking about as gifted and talented. If they're disruptive in lesson it's generally because they find the material easy and it's our job as a teacher to provide extension work that promotes higher order thinking.

We have a 'gifted and talented' program over here too. It was just that when I was in school, it was more of a thing for the kids from the rich parents with their noses deep into the PTA, and I came from a blue collar family. All of the smart kids from average homes didnt seem to be in it for one reason or another.

It actually annoys me when a teacher labels a learner as disruptive, when the actual reason for that behaviour is that they've already mastered the material of that particular lesson and are now bored. It is their job to provide extension work, not complain that they're being disruptive.

It must be really hard to maintain this attitude when you have that one brat who is the opposite and acts out because he doesnt understand the material. Or doesnt want to. Im not trying to say you're wrong, but there are exceptions to that rule imo.

Punish with extra work eh? My teachers growing up used to do that to me all the time, but it kind of just felt like it was out of spite. I think I only had one teacher who gave me extra work to legitimately see how I would respond.

Wondering why my left arm is much smaller than my right arm, and listening to Foreverdark Woods by Bathory.

I'm right handed, so that could account for the difference. Maybe I'm being lazy and throwing moreover my back into my left arm when lifting. My right arm is fucking huge if you look at it from the right angle. From the same angle, my left arm looks like I came out of a Russian gulag. It's defined and toned, but there's definitely an inch or so less bicep there. When relaxed, my arms look equally proportionate to each other.

@EternalMetal you can't really tell kids to take their meds nowadays. Speaking to the parents about it is usually a no too because different cultures and religions sometimes don't believe in ADHD which is so dumb. But you're right I didn't technically do anything wrong, but it's really a thin rope to walk. I just explained to the parents that I understood where they were coming from because I grew up with the same values (sorta but you gotta fib a little) but he's not doing well n it's worth it to try.

Also sometimes those behavior problem kids tend to be really smart. They also tend to be controversial in the class because some kids love them while others do not. They have a charm about them too which is annoying because you want to be a complete bitch to them for fucking up your lesson but they are the ones who'd help you around the classroom or say something really endearing.

Also, I teach special education so it's ADHD kids learning disability kids, other health impairment kids etc but it's the same curriculum as the general education kids just a little slowed down and more explanation and graphic organizers. So my kids are usually more intense than a general ed class. I subbed a general Ed class earlier this week and it was a fucking walk in the park. They can focus and write and think on grade level. I tested my kids reading comprehension, spelling and word recognitions level and most are in between 2nd-4th grade level in the 7th grade. So the issue isn't really that the material is too easy it's actually the opposite. They are really struggling. Unfournately I have to stick to the school's curriculum if I want to keep my job lol I try to make it a lot easier though.

Also on IQs, I don't think @EternalMetal meant anything braggy by it. I usually can tell. Typically people who do brag about their IQs never had them tested in the first place and aren't really that smart :lol: but that isn't the case always. I think usually though you can tell when someone is smart especially online when you're reading their thoughts and stuff.

Reactions: EternalMetal
I just like that mentioning that you have a high IQ sounds kinda autistic which emphasizes the fact that IQ tests, whilst okay for testing some things, aren't quite the general intelligence tests that most seem to think of them as.

Wondering why my left arm is much smaller than my right arm, and listening to Foreverdark Woods by Bathory.

I'm right handed, so that could account for the difference. Maybe I'm being lazy and throwing moreover my back into my left arm when lifting. My right arm is fucking huge if you look at it from the right angle. From the same angle, my left arm looks like I came out of a Russian gulag. It's defined and toned, but there's definitely an inch or so less bicep there. When relaxed, my arms look equally proportionate to each other.

I'm fairly ambidextrous though tend to favour my right for a few activities (not fapping). My right feels stronger and the muscles seem a little more defined but tape measure says that my left is bigger by about 1/4-1/2 an inch.

My experience of school was that the most disruptive kids weren't that smart and that those of us that were smarter, and bored, just did things like listen to music.

Reactions: Dak