The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Doing a job shadow this week for a potential new employment opportunity but I'm really starting to have my doubts about whether it is a good fit for me. The job is basically a combination of a dorm RA/tutor for a select group of Chinese students here in Chicago. The pay is minimal, but I'd have my housing, utilities, and food covered (food cooked my an in-house Chinese family. Badass.) However, a lot of the work is babysitting these students and checking in on them. I get to eat breakfast with them and from 8-3 I am basically free to do whatever I want. After that I have office hours with them until dinner time. After dinner there is usually some sort of planned activity on most nights of the week until about 8-9. Here is the kicker for me though, at 11:00 I have to do a walkthrough of each student and make sure that they are in their dorms and ready for bed. I do get 1 day a week where I am free to do whatever, but not being able to go out on the evenings is extremely concerning for me. I'm such an extroverted person that the idea of not being able to go to a concert during the week or band practice or something almost makes me question whether or not this position is really worth it for me. The whole reason I wanted to move to the city was so I could start to pursue my musical projects more and be with like-minded people and I fear that this job might prevent me from doing that. On the other hand, this could definitely be a great opportunity for me and would get me back living on my own with virtually no expenses. If I was younger and more of a home-body then I definitely could see myself thriving in this situation.

Fucking tough decisions

Doing a job shadow this week for a potential new employment opportunity but I'm really starting to have my doubts about whether it is a good fit for me. The job is basically a combination of a dorm RA/tutor for a select group of Chinese students here in Chicago. The pay is minimal, but I'd have my housing, utilities, and food covered (food cooked my an in-house Chinese family. Badass.) However, a lot of the work is babysitting these students and checking in on them. I get to eat breakfast with them and from 8-3 I am basically free to do whatever I want. After that I have office hours with them until dinner time. After dinner there is usually some sort of planned activity on most nights of the week until about 8-9. Here is the kicker for me though, at 11:00 I have to do a walkthrough of each student and make sure that they are in their dorms and ready for bed. I do get 1 day a week where I am free to do whatever, but not being able to go out on the evenings is extremely concerning for me. I'm such an extroverted person that the idea of not being able to go to a concert during the week or band practice or something almost makes me question whether or not this position is really worth it for me. The whole reason I wanted to move to the city was so I could start to pursue my musical projects more and be with like-minded people and I fear that this job might prevent me from doing that. On the other hand, this could definitely be a great opportunity for me and would get me back living on my own with virtually no expenses. If I was younger and more of a home-body then I definitely could see myself thriving in this situation.

Fucking tough decisions

Ultimately, it sound like you were moving to the city for some sort of opportunity, and this is one. It sucks to be in a position in which you have two things you could pursue: one thing you originally planned for and want to do and another one which is more immediately fruitful and also one in which you can fulfill your original hope at a later date. Either way, I don't think you're in a bad position regarding your original hope. I think the question you need to ask yourself is whether you can you fulfill the obligation of being a baby sitter for some bougie-ass Chinese kids, be happy with yourself, and still work toward your original goal. Don't let the fear of a life-style change stop you. Only let it stop you if you think it will set you on a trajectory of unhappiness.

I'm going to go in tomorrow with a series of questions regarding things, like skipping breakfast and sleeping in to requesting days off. Even on weekends I need to walk by their rooms at 11 and make sure their doors are locked. The kids themselves seem great (They are attending a pretty yuppie prep school after all), but something inside me sort of knows that I won't enjoy my lifestyle.

I also failed to mention that I also got a gig in the Chicagoland area teaching Composition at a community college as my main source of income, but if I don't have time to attend concerts/practice/have a drink with a friend then what is the point?

God, I fucking hate the way I sound here. I feel like some entitled asshole who is going to blow a great opportunity to live in a city rent-free, food free, utilities free, but not being able to bring a 30 rack into my residence and spinning my Vitus records at full volume is a super fucking deal breaker.

Reactions: viewerfromnihil
You post photos of them on UM.
@Master_Yoda77

7ac.jpg

I would be more concerned with figuring out how to live on my own and budget all my expenses at that point in my life. It would be nice to not have any expenses right now, but it's not realistic for long term obvs. I couldn't imagine being as old as I am now (33) and not knowing how to do any of this shit. Better to start younger and make mistakes that you can correct and aren't as detrimental to your lifestyle than wait until later and do it.

Last edited:
God, I fucking hate the way I sound here. I feel like some entitled asshole who is going to blow a great opportunity to live in a city rent-free, food free, utilities free, but not being able to bring a 30 rack into my residence and spinning my Vitus records at full volume is a super fucking deal breaker.

Point of life is to drink beer and listen to AC/DC,Pentagram,Black Sabbath, and Saint Vitus and do nothing, and watch Night of The Living Dead, until you die, why would you teach students and ruin your life.

Reactions: Anom@nder Rake
Kickin' it in my Chinese apartment, drinkin' Chinese liquor. I'm making a comfortable living out here. Food is cheap and my rent is cheap and there's almost every modern amenity you'd want out here, though some things you have to search for a little harder out here (2nd world country and all). There's not a lot in the way of live music out here. The Chinese are not as music obsessed as we Westerners are, but there is one venue in my city that regularly brings in pretty good touring metal acts.

What city are you living in? I think Annick of Cauchemar did a writeup about Chinese metal bands. If you are in Beijing I'm sure you can find some decent metal concerts there.

Also, I didn't take the job. I couldn't justify being a glorified babysitter to these kids if I wasn't able to drink a beer in my room and watch Vincent Price movies.

Reactions: CiG
What city are you living in? I think Annick of Cauchemar did a writeup about Chinese metal bands. If you are in Beijing I'm sure you can find some decent metal concerts there.

Also, I didn't take the job. I couldn't justify being a glorified babysitter to these kids if I wasn't able to drink a beer in my room and watch Vincent Price movies.

I'm in Shenzhen. Big city right next to Hong Kong. Teaching little kids is definitely not your only option here if you have provable teaching experience. I'm teaching adults. Pretty good salary. Let me know if you're still interested. I might be able to get you hooked up with a gig out here.

Edit: by 'pretty good salary' I mean I have a substantial amount of money left over at the end of the month to save. That's partly due to the fact that I pay very little for rent. My apt is cheap for the simple fact that I don't have an outside view, I live in the middle of my building. But it works just fine for me, and it's a nice place. Rent can vary hugely here just in one building depending on what unit you choose. And food and drink is insanely cheap, including indigenous Chinese alcohol.

Last edited: