The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

I haven't watched the video, but I can't imagine that being worse than Lars Ulrich's drum sound on recent Metallica albums.

Wish we could get a good critical theory inspired breakdown of the implicit and explicit arguments of power, sex, patriarchy, and colonial exploitation in that video.

Just wrote a bitchy letter to the IRS. I pay all my tuition out of pocket but my dumbass community college always puts the totals in box 2 - amounts billed - instead of box 1 - amounts received. And my dumbass didn't include receipts last year. I sure am glad the IRS caught it though, because upon further review of my records I paid for mandatory digital homework applications and didn't include them. Totally deductible.

Basically my letter reads like hey thanks for trying to fuck with me because I don't owe you, you owe me.

anyone smart on investments? is it financially 'smarter' to split retirement $'s or 100%?

for instance,

better to split between C and S or stick 100% in C or S?

Thinking that too, or at least until I get a sizeable retirement amount in there. If I stay above 10% for the next 35 years I might be a millionaire :lol:

anyone smart on investments? is it financially 'smarter' to split retirement $'s or 100%?

for instance,

Depends on when you plan to retire. If it's greater than ten years, I would suggest putting 100% in the most aggressive fund and gradually diversify in less risky funds as you get closer. It's hard to really to give a more dedicated response without knowing what the portfolio's are in each fund. I'm only a CPA though so I may not be the best source, but it would also would be nice to know the tax status on the funds you're contributing as well.

edit: Is this an IRA/401(K) or something else?

for instance,

I just know that conventional advice is to split your money more towards riskier investments earlier on in life, and slowly slide it more to safer investments as you age.

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/06/10/age-and-risk-tolerance-key-to-mastering-asset-allocation.html

Depends on when you plan to retire. If it's greater than ten years, I would suggest putting 100% in the most aggressive fund and gradually diversify in less risky funds as you get closer. It's hard to really to give a more dedicated response without knowing what the portfolio's are in each fund. I'm only a CPA though so I may not be the best source, but it would also would be nice to know the tax status on the funds you're contributing as well.

edit: Is this an IRA/401(K) or something else?

There are entire books written about investment strategy. I agree with Dazed's opinion to an extent but it's all dependent upon how 'risk averse' you are. If you are young and don't mind taking risk, try something like emerging markets or an aggressive growth fund. If you care more about dividend income and don't want to high growth, get income driven stocks (like blue chip stocks or whatever) or bonds since they pay money every 6 months for 'x' amount of years. I would speak to an adviser if you have one available. I have a securities license but I'm so far removed from the finance realm at this point in my life that my advice won't be that great tbh. I got a degree in Finance and don't even use it anymore but it still really interests me.

It would be helpful to know what each of those funds comprises so that we could probably give you a little more info.

Something you do when your life's work is unfulfilling like being a corporate drone a la me.

He won't retire. He will be injecting a gorillion Hamm's into his veins and snorting lines of coke off scratched up Thin Lizzy LPs until he dies of heart disease at 47.

He won't retire. He will be injecting a gorillion Hamm's into his veins and snorting lines of coke off scratched up Thin Lizzy LPs until he dies of heart disease at 47.

This sounds fucking awesome. Way better than paying off a mortgage until I'm 65, living in Ohio, and dying of diabetes at 73.

Last edited:
Reactions: viewerfromnihil