The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Eh whatever. I'm trying to engage in less shitfests and non-music threads anyway, but if it gets worse I'll probably leave. We'll see.

Show me all the posts where you openly acknowledge any possibility other than that the words were banned because of people reporting them.

Why would I acknowledge that possibility when Deron himself has explicitly stated that he acted as a response to reports? Utterly idiotic suggestion.

You said that Deron was changing the rules because a bunch of people reported things rather than because he agreed that the words should be banned and that if he said otherwise now, it would be opportunistic of him rather than honest. This is an assumption.

I said that because that's what he's said multiple times in the past. That's not an assumption, that's based on his statements to us.

Add me to the sycophant club.

Done.

These are honestly some of the most lax boards I've ever been on. There have been others I've been on and am still on where people get banned for the pettiest of reasons.

Same. This is why I'm animated about it, as I'd like to keep it that way personally.

Last edited:
A few years ago, I took a girl to Long Beach for a date at the Queen Mary's. We were on The Passport - a bus that takes you to all the attractions in Long Beach late at night, and sat in the very back. In the corner seat sat a lady in her 40's, completely fucked up on crack or meth (not sure) and just talking to herself. She began getting angry and started shouting threats at certain people in the bus, stuff like "Hey you N****, what the fuck you looking at?". She even looked at my date and went "You Selena-looking bitch". The whole bus was collectively groaning at this crack-whore and wanted nothing more than for her to get her ass out, but we kept her because at the end of the day she wasn't hurting anyone and it was a long walk in the dark without the bus.

My point is, shut the fuck up CIG.

My point is, shut the fuck up CIG.

Make me, you incoherent cunt.

It is indeed an interesting conversation, and I am always perplexed at the social aspect of people who treat the Internet different than they would in real life. Not different necessarily, than if you were with a bunch of friends in a private setting, but in general as in out in public, a workplace, at a concert with tons of people you do not know, shopping, sitting at a table in a restaurant - I just don't see you all using these words as part of your normal vocabulary in general conversation (in a public setting).

So in your mind, in real life if someone says the n-word or the f-word, people who hear it should run to the nearest police officer and have them silenced? That's the analogy here. If you say something fucked up among friends or whatever, you aren't censored, you're argued with, socially condemned, peer pressured etc.

On this forum such a thing isn't what's happening, what happens IRL is what I'd prefer to happen here, rather than being silenced by a mod. Just a thought, as I didn't think your comparison to real life really made much sense.

Last edited:
Why would I acknowledge that possibility when Deron himself has explicitly stated that he acted as a response to reports? Utterly idiotic suggestion.

I wanted to avoid playing the seniority card, but I'm really over you acting like you know hpw this site has been all this time.

What's really utterly idiotic is the fact that you're arguing about this when Deron has personally asked people not to use such insults before because he doesn't want them on the site. That's going back way before you got here. I've personally been warned for a variety of behavior during the decade that I've posted here on and off, but I've never been banned because this site has such lax policies.

Some other good reasons are the fact that he loses ad revenue used to pay for the site when advertisers don't want their ads featured here anymore and when bands get fed up with posters like yourself and stop paying to have their official forums hosted here, both of which have actually happened.

As I said before, you lack the historical context to even have this argument and your whole argument is based on hypotheses and assumptions.

(@MetalAges, I'd love for you to confirm that you've made these requests for the reasons that I've stated.)

Side note: We never had a hard time getting good new members on this site in the first few years that I was here. Things went downhill when people who wanted to fight mods and everyone else joined.

Reactions: MetalAges
I wanted to avoid playing the seniority card, but I'm really over you acting like you know hpw this site has been all this time.

What's really utterly idiotic is the fact that you're arguing about this when Deron has personally asked people not to use such insults before because he doesn't want them on the site. That's going back way before you got here.

Some other good reasons are the fact that he loses ad revenue used to pay for the site when advertisers don't want their ads featured here anymore and when bands get fed up with posters like yourself and stop paying to have their official forums hosted here, both of which have actually happened.

As I said before, you lack the historical context to even have this argument and your whole argument is based on hypotheses and assumptions.

(@MetalAges, I'd love for you to confirm that you've made these requests for the reasons that I've stated.)

Side note: We never had a hard time getting good new members on this site in the first few years that I was here. Things went downhill when people who wanted to fight mods and everyone else joined.

:thumbsup:

Make me, you incoherent cunt.

Look, I'm with you. Censorship is bad in my book too. That said, this isn't a government mandate. Technically we are in Deron's house. Would you go to your buddies house on a Friday evening and throw around the N word when he has a black wife? I think he'd ask you to stop saying it. This isn't much different. You may be talking to a select few people (the regulars) when you type here, but there are thousands of other lurkers who just read our talks, both now and for the very long future.

Now, why is faggot a bannable word? Can't I get around that by saying cockpipe cosmonaut, or Muscle Mary? Well sure, but instead of finding alternatives, shouldn't you be asking why you're insulting someone in the first place? Maybe we should develop some sense of community here?

God I sound like a faggot...

I don't even use the n-word and since Deron came down hard on the f-word I haven't used it either. I know it isn't about the government, but censorship doesn't only deal with the government anyway so that's a dumb thing to bring up imo.

Maybe we should develop some sense of community here?

I'd rather we develop a sense of humour and a spine, communities are lame. I don't want harmony, I want disagreement, heat, mockery etc. The vast majority of the time I see the f-word used around here it is used in jest, which Deron himself has admitted. Anyway I think I've said about as much as I can say to you assholes without beginning to repeat myself (like Omni, the queen of saying the same shit over and over) so I'll just leave it here.

Let's all meet up again when the next word gets banned and you can all mock me again then. :old:

God I sound like a faggot...
More like a screaming bendover tbh

I'd rather we develop a sense of humour and a spine
fwiw I agree that reporting people for OH NO BAD WORD is fucking lame and I'd be interested to know who the soft cunts are that keep doing it. The only people I've ever reported are worthless trolls and spammers and TB at the height of his mania. I also don't think I've ever seen the F word directed at a gay person in a hateful way on this site, but who knows, maybe it was swiftly deleted or something. It's an ugly and unimaginative word anyway, mainly used for tough guy posturing even in jest, so I have no problem with it being removed from the UM lexicon.

Let's all meet up again when the next word gets banned and you can all mock me again then. :old:
If CUNT gets banned I'll happily join the resistance.

Reactions: Onder
Ok folks, I agree, we've all said about all we can - let's get back on topic.

How about this for a manly "what are you doing" post:
  • Getting a Tommy John candle ready to send for a benefit auction.
  • Getting our #1 seller Mermaid Cove ready for our cross-promotion of "The Little Mermaid" show in town.
  • Preparing labels for some new candle launch, and an ad for a business event where we (Shining Sol Candle Company) are nominated for Emerging Business of the Year. Pretty cool, right?! :)

Personally, I'd like to see Deron ban "Opeth" and "Trivium" next. Those are more offensive than the words that he's banned so far.

Add a word filter to replace those words with more acceptable words like "Demilich" and "Slayer".