The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

i didn't want to sway your perceptions :p

i heard 'yarry' for a couple of seconds before it turned to laurel and has stuck at laurel since then. only way i can hear anything else is via this pitch-shifted one https://twitter.com/KeithTVGuy/status/996889108885786624 (i still don't know where the n in yanny comes from though, it's 'yeahwee' or something)

So people that hear Yanny are a bit slower? Thanks for the clarification. It certainly explains my Facebook feed.

That's really bizarre. Team Laurel here. Hear it at 90% too, but 80% and below are more like "Yeh oh ee", can't hear an 'n' sound at all.

EDIT: The NYT version is even more weird. I have to set the slider to the furthest right to hear Yanny, but I can change which of the two I hear on a whim. Additionally, if I keep it in the background while doing other things like typing this post, it still defaults to Laurel.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

Last edited:
I hear Yanny or whatever derivative of it at all speeds in that Twitter link. Local news today interviewed someone about it and it has something to do with hearing frequencies.

I dunk my carkey in coffee today. It's a rented car. Also had to pour the coffee away, first I tried to reach for the carkey with my fingers as to save the coffee with all the dirt from my hands but the coffee was too hot so I just poured it out on the street while shouting terrible things in mad anger. I then went to a farm and there was this pretty farmer girl, kind of my age, honestly, and she offered me a coffee and she had troubles bringing it to my table because her hands were shaking. She was like "I'm sorry my hands are shaking and I'm sorry I didn't bring the coffee sooner I'm terrible" and I was like "that's ok I already fucked one coffee on the highway".

Reactions: Satanstoenail
I want to learn drums. I don't understand why all my hobbies are expensive.

Start out with a practice pad and sticks and a rudiment book. Craigslist is your friend when trying to find quality used gear. Almost everything I own drumwise is second hand and in good condition.

The level of catharsis you get with drums is worth all the money in the world imo

Start out with a practice pad and sticks and a rudiment book. Craigslist is your friend when trying to find quality used gear. Almost everything I own drumwise is second hand and in good condition.

The level of catharsis you get with drums is worth all the money in the world imo

Thanks for the advice. I've been looking at beginner books on Amazon. I'll get a pad and sticks next month as well as the book. It's about time to learn something new. Craiglist seems to be good with band stuff (instruments, finding people to play with, etc). I've always wanted to play an instrument, and drums seem like something you can learn late in the game a bit easier than guitar

Thanks for the advice. I've been looking at beginner books on Amazon. I'll get a pad and sticks next month as well as the book. It's about time to learn something new. Craiglist seems to be good with band stuff (instruments, finding people to play with, etc). I've always wanted to play an instrument, and drums seem like something you can learn late in the game a bit easier than guitar

Here's a good instructional video that's been around the 'Net for years:

Look into the Drumeo website too. Lots of free clinic videos on their YouTube channel but a year subscription is worth it given the volume of material on the site. I think it's 100 bucks for a year. I let my subscription lapse but I will definitely sign up again when I have the funds.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
Got my state trooper test results back yesterday, ranked 95 with that good 'ol vet privilege. Finished the semester today and a chance at working on a REU project for large data transfer and leaving for Maui tomorrow morning. Things are lookin' up