The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Wieland is good shit. I wrote a paper on how it's an overextended metaphor looking at the differences between the city and the rural. Very interesting stuff.

I'd also vote for Outer Dark over Child of God...not sure how well too many college undergrads respond to necrophilia :lol:

Ha, that was my initial reservation! I actually love Outer Dark more anyway, so that's probably the one I'll lean toward. I've never read Wieland, but I figure a class on the American Gothic has to include it. Some more summer reading for me! And your comment on the binary (ambiguity, maybe?) of city - rural is very intriguing. The Gothic loves binaries like that, so maybe that will end up in some of our discussions...

No idea how to manage that shit

replacing brakes is significantly easier with a friend...especially when you bleed the brake line

I've never done a brake line flush. I'm talking about the pads and rotors only. You need a socket set, most likely a phillips screw driver (because Honda puts unnecessary screws in their rotors that tend to rust shut and require a impact gun to get them out or worse a drill/tap job), a large C-Clamp, potentially a mallet, a tire iron, and another car or a ride.

Take the wheels off, use the socket set to get the brake assembly off the rotors/get the pads off, and then use the screwdriver/mallet to get the rotors off. Verify your local OReillys/Pep Boys/Autozone/etc does turn rotors, and take the 2nd vehicle/ride go get your rotors turned and buy the necessary brake pads.Come back, put on rotors, put on the pads (don't forget the brake-quiet-goo) use the C-Clamp to depress the brake cylinders, reattach the brake assembly, put your wheels back on, done.

It probably looks more involved typing that all out than it is. Very easy maintenance, especially no more often than you have to do it. Unfortunately I think your year Civic has drums in the back instead of discs. Bit more work for that and Im not familiar with it. Of course rear brakes only get like 20% of the wear of front brakes. Front Pads and turned rotors should only run you around 75$ max (for premium pads even), and a dealership might charge you $250.

Hopefully your rotors don't have screws/screws that have rusted so they won't come out. Had that happen with one of the rotors on my wife's Element the first time I tried to do the brake work on it. Fortunately I knew someone who was able to get it off cheap.

Ha, that was my initial reservation! I actually love Outer Dark more anyway, so that's probably the one I'll lean toward. I've never read Wieland, but I figure a class on the American Gothic has to include it. Some more summer reading for me! And your comment on the binary (ambiguity, maybe?) of city - rural is very intriguing. The Gothic loves binaries like that, so maybe that will end up in some of our discussions...

yeah it's been a few years, but there's a very subtle comparison between the city and civilized life and the rural/heath "heathen" where the supernatural takes place

I've never done a brake line flush. I'm talking about the pads and rotors only. You need a socket set, most likely a phillips screw driver (because Honda puts unnecessary screws in their rotors that tend to rust shut and require a impact gun to get them out or worse a drill/tap job), a large C-Clamp, potentially a mallet, a tire iron, and another car or a ride.

Take the wheels off, use the socket set to get the brake assembly off the rotors/get the pads off, and then use the screwdriver/mallet to get the rotors off. Verify your local OReillys/Pep Boys/Autozone/etc does turn rotors, and take the 2nd vehicle/ride go get your rotors turned and buy the necessary brake pads.Come back, put on rotors, put on the pads (don't forget the brake-quiet-goo) use the C-Clamp to depress the brake cylinders, reattach the brake assembly, put your wheels back on, done.

It probably looks more involved typing that all out than it is. Very easy maintenance, especially no more often than you have to do it. Unfortunately I think your year Civic has drums in the back instead of discs. Bit more work for that and Im not familiar with it. Of course rear brakes only get like 20% of the wear of front brakes. Front Pads and turned rotors should only run you around 75$ max (for premium pads even), and a dealership might charge you $250.

Hopefully your rotors don't have screws/screws that have rusted so they won't come out. Had that happen with one of the rotors on my wife's Element the first time I tried to do the brake work on it. Fortunately I knew someone who was able to get it off cheap.

People shouldn't be doing brake work on their own without having someone there to show them and explain exactly what's going on.

You don't even know the condition of his rotors so telling him to just get them turned is wrong, first off. It depends on the state of the used rotors and whether or not they're even capable of being turned. If there are deep grooves from the pads or they've been turned before and they don't meet safety specifications then it's definitely not worth the time and money, besides most places won't turn them for you anyway. Secondly, depending on the cost of turning vs buying new ones, it's not worth the time and money to get them turned.

Also, when you install brakes you need to buy brake cleaner and clean all of your parts before reinstalling and, particularly the rotors themselves so you don't fuck them up with because they're dirty or greasy.

Regarding the caliper screws, the only problem I've ever had with them is people not putting anti-seize on them, which Honda does from the factory. Anytime a break job is done they should be replaced anyway, but people don't do this. Basically what I'm saying is, this isn't a Honda issue, it's an issue with improper maintenance otherwise known as operator error.

You don't even know the condition of his rotors so telling him to just get them turned is wrong, first off. It depends on the state of the used rotors and whether or not they're even capable of being turned. If there are deep grooves from the pads or they've been turned before and they don't meet safety specifications then it's definitely not worth the time and money, besides most places won't turn them for you anyway. Secondly, depending on the cost of turning vs buying new ones, it's not worth the time and money to get them turned.

Also, when you install brakes you need to buy brake cleaner and clean all of your parts before reinstalling and, particularly the rotors themselves so you don't fuck them up with because they're dirty or greasy.

Right, if they can't be turned the place you take them (if they are worth a shit) should notify you of this. Then you just buy some new rotors while you are there. Civics are common enough they should be in stock. Rotors should always be turned if you are putting new pads on (unless they need replacing obviously).

Rotor turning usually costs $15 per rotor. New rotors are usually 40+. I'd say that's a significant savings if you can turn them, and it's not any more work except needing that extra ride to take the old rotors.

Regarding the caliper screws, the only problem I've ever had with them is people not putting anti-seize on them, which Honda does from the factory. Anytime a break job is done they should be replaced anyway, but people don't do this. Basically what I'm saying is, this isn't a Honda issue, it's an issue with improper maintenance otherwise known as operator error.

I'm not talking about caliper screws. Honda screws the rotors on some (if not all) of it's vehicles.

As far as needing someone there, that's what youtube is for. Disc brake change is not complicated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoZone?v=nP5PaDA16-o