Themed Mixtape Game Mk. 2

Funny I thought giving something a 9.3/10 was synonymous with really digging something. :rofl:

maybe I want to see what happens when the game host wins this, never been done lol

I don’t Not really dig it, just wasn’t in the mood for it today. I respect what it does but just not feeling it as much atm. Other days I have liked that album more

Exmortus - Foe Hammer
best exmortus submission we've had by a good margin, i can forgive an overly clean production when the song has this much energy and momentum, they pack a lot in here without losing the thread. epic chorus is straight out of a mid-'90s gothenburg tune but it works. 7.5/10

Arghoslent - The Grenadier
this one's a little groovy for my tastes for the first 90 seconds (more of a '90s 'slent guy partly for this reason), starts to kick ass after that point peaking around the 4 minute mark. it gets understated how original these guys were (are?) because they like to flog the cargo a little too much, but really nobody else sounded like them and few do to this day. extra half-star for an unusual weapon. 8.5/10

Necrot - The Blade
relentless pummelling stuff with no particular flaws, just lacks any really distinctive qualities. gave the album 3 stars but in isolation i enjoyed this more than that. 7/10

Smoulder - Bastard Steel
this is great even before the vocals kick in, the sparse verse riff is the best so far and the way it resolves into the epic descending lead guitar works perfectly. biggest flaw is probably the predictable vocal lines particularly in the pre-chorus, she does have an unusual tone but i've grown to really like it, love the way her voice quivers when she holds a note i.e. at 5:15. lead guitars have such a great sound, like they're amped up so loud they're about to pop, that's how that shit should sound. good cover art and album name too. 8.5/10

The Crown - Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
i'm a pretty big crown of thorns fan but i've never really been able to embrace the post-name change stuff, for all the maniacal energy here it's just a bit too punky and anthemic for me. obviously would be crazy to see live though. guess i'll give it a bonus for the cool nuclear imagery. 6.5/10

Amulet - Siege Machine
pretty run-of-the-mill, but the "supplies are over" part into the solo rocks. also gets an extra half-star for cool weapon choice. 6.5/10

Wehrmacht - Napalm Shower
a band i've never bothered checking out 'cause they kinda gave the impression of being goofy crossover about beer and blowjobs and shit, or at least the second album does. someone could've told me it's pure fucking waindscore, one of my favourite discoveries of these games. didn't even know they shared a member with cryptic slaughter either! all music should sound like this, loved the shit out of it within about 5 seconds. 10/10

The Accused - Bullet-Ridden Bodies
"Children are dying. That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.” - Captain Lull, 7th Army (deceased) 7/10

Heathen - Goblin's Blade
"These evil creatures can transform themselves into fleas-and-blood people whenever and however they want. They can! They CAN! Goblins still exist! Your Grandpa Seth is telling you!" - Grandpa Seth (deceased) 7.5/10

Shackles - Cat o' Nine Tails
that verse is like 'australian and antichrist' meets morbid tales, obviously i'm gonna dig. they sound like a few different bands by the end, all of them good. half-star extra for the unusual weapon. 8/10

Warrior Path - Avenger

opening made me think of tenacious D especially with the little sound effect lol, don't think that's what it was going for. heiman's voice is obviously the highlight but it's kinda syrupy and stadium-ready, not least due to that horrible power ballad drum sound. 5/10

Ice Nine Kills - Stabbing in the Dark
lmao the intro is literally just savage garden. please, bring back trivium. 1/10

Razor - Brass Knuckles
i assume this is smashing the competition, don't tell me this means tech wins again (hopefully he chose heathen lol)?! perfect blend of tightness and brutality. half star for the badass weapon. 8.5/10

Eternal Champion - I Am the Hammer
there are a couple of songs on this album i'd give at least a 9 but this is my least favourite on there, plus the titular hammer seems like more of a metaphorical nickname than an actual weapon? 6/10

Bolt Thrower - The Killchain
my favourite song on their most overrated album. perfect use of fade in and fade out, chilling structure, absolutely the right choice not to really change pace or go anywhere. i just wish it was even colder and more inhuman, just a tank rolling in and out without the groovier riffs which never do much for me. 7.5/10

that's basically the exact logic i used to determine that it was an acceptable choice for the playlist. "would i want to fuck with someone coming at me with a cat o' nine tails? not really, therefore it's a weapon."

Reactions: zerostatic and CiG
I rated a couple playlists when I hosted in the past but I also didn't count my own ratings while tallying since I knew who submitted each track. Though I don't think it would be a big deal if the host wanted to also count their own ratings.

Reactions: CiG
Exmortus - Foe Hammer
Overall very enjoyable. While the vocals are not too extreme for my taste yet, I wish they were less monotonous in a song like this one. Because of the guitar work still: 8/10

Arghoslent - The Grenadier
Music-wise not that bad, but I can't stand the vocals. 3/10

Necrot - The Blade
See Arghoslent. 3/10

Smoulder - Bastard Steel
Bearing in mind that I usually don't care that much about "ordinary" Heavy Metal, this is surprisingly enjoyable. 7.5/10

The Crown - Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
Decent song, but nothing I'd return to. Not too fond of the vocals, though I find them still bearable. 6.5/10

Amulet - Siege Machine
Even in my early metal days in the middle of the eighties, I would have found a song like this rather average. Because of the guitar-solo: 6/10

Wehrmacht - Napalm Shower
Music doesn't have to be perfect, but this sounds a bit too messy/chaotic for my taste. 5.5/10

The Accused - Bullet-Ridden Bodies
Overall, slightly better than Wehrmacht. The fast part in the middle reminded me a bit of Nuclear Assault and was the one I liked best about this song. 6/10

Heathen - Goblin's Blade
(Old School) Thrash Metal the way I like it! 9/10

Shackles - Cat o' Nine Tails
I liked the intro, the rest was at best average. Even if the vocals didn't drag it down for me (which they did), I wouldn't listen to this again. 3/10

Avenger - Warrior Path
Liked the last two minutes of the song better than the first four. The song is OK, but nothing I'd listen to outside of this game. 6.5/10

Ice Nine Kills - Stabbing in the Dark
Seems to be the only band in this round not to be found on Metal Archives. I could actually enjoy some parts of the music, but not the entire song, and the screaming vocals used in this song simply go on my nerves. 3/10

Razor - Brass Knuckles
Good song, but not good enoug to make me want to hear more. I also think I would have liked this song slightly better with their previous vocalist. 7/10

Eternal Champion - I Am the Hammer
Surprisingly enjoyable. The intro was - in regard to the length of this song - a bit too long and the ending felt a little abrupt. 7.5/10

Bolt Thrower - The Killchain
The music isn't bad, but quite repetitive and as in the case of nearly any Death Metal band, I don't like the vocals. 3/10

Exmortus - Foe Hammer I really liked this album; it's definitely their best. Good song but they have better ones on that album (see: Rising). this track nicely sets the tone for the rest of the playlist. 7.5/10

Arghoslent - The Grenadier Very interesting, it even has black metal riffs 8.5/10

Necrot - The Blade Stock but heavy riffs, I guess. Quite run-of-the-mill but enjoyable on the other hand. Might check it out later tho. 7/10 very cool solo!!!

Smoulder - Bastard Steel female vocals in metal are definitely not for me... this sucks, man. 3/10

The Crown - Blitzkrieg Witchcraft this is really cool; I have to finally check out this band. 8/10

Amulet - Siege Machine this singer's voice is grotesque; i cant take him seriously. he really needs to grow up or smoke some cigarettes lol. The music was alright tho. 5/10

Wehrmacht - Napalm Shower love the aggressive guitar delivery on this 8.5/10

The Accused - Bullet-Ridden Bodies nice thrash, kinda brutal 7/10

Heathen - Goblin's Blade catchy main riff, very technical 7.5/10

Shackles - Cat o' Nine Tails d666 wannabes. cool breakdown 5/10

Avenger - Warrior Path okay 6/10

Ice Nine Kills - Stabbing in the Dark 1/10 arg/10

Razor - Brass Knuckles gets so fucking good in the latter part of the song 8/10

Eternal Champion - I Am the Hammer This is the best track on this godly album - dunno what you guys are talking about. when im in the right mood, this song makes me unstoppable and unbreakable :heh:. 9.5/10

Bolt Thrower - The Killchain classic Bolt Thrower - arguably their most known song (according to various sources, including Spotify and last.fm. It's a 10/10 track, but one point deducted for such a popular, lazy and seemingly easy choice. 9/10

I don't like the fact that Arghoslent seem to be fucking Nazis. Wish I had seen that before.

they're probably the most notoriously racist metal band ever. although i'm not sure nazi is accurate, they're more like pro-slavery victorian colonialists or some shit.

on the other hand, they bring the riffs so it's ok. if hitler had brought some phat riffs to the table would he really be so unpopular?

Reactions: EspaDa
they're probably the most notoriously racist metal band ever. although i'm not sure nazi is accurate, they're more like pro-slavery victorian colonialists or some shit.

on the other hand, they bring the riffs so it's ok. if hitler had brought some phat riffs to the table would he really be so unpopular?

Their nicknames go as follows:

Holocausto
Aktion T4
Pogrom

They also used to have someone going by the nickname of "The Genocider".

Their most recent album is called Hornets of the Pogrom - it would be really asinine not to believe they glorify the Nazi regime.

I agree with them bringing the riffs - that's great, but I can't see myself listening to them in the future even though the track submitted for this mixtape is fucking awesome.

Exmortus - Foe Hammer - Kinda cringe rage but excellent musicianship, l suppose a dirty production would do it no favours, it's just a little too clean for my ear. But shit yeah love to see these games on again! 7/10

Arghoslent - The Grenadier - Ah starts off ok but the riff gets a tad stale quite quick, also the guitar tone is extra shitty. It's far from bad 5/10

Necrot - The Blade - Killer cut from a killer OS style DM band. One must drink mead from a wooded cup and roast ferret neck on a rotating spit whilst imbibing Necrot 8.5/10

Smoulder - Bastard Steel - Seen this a bunch and never taken the plunge but l have been missing out - excellent 9/10

The Crown - Blitzkrieg Witchcraft - What a shame about the voice in front of this. Although shite pre-chorus. Decent geetar work, reminds me of Eternal era Malevolent Creation at the end 7/10

Amulet - Siege Machine - meh love trad when its special but this falls short a tad. Awesome logo and album cover 6/10

Wehrmacht - Napalm Shower - l rejected this back in the late 80's cause it was unlistenable next to Obituary etc haha no joke. I appreciate it obviously much more now but it's still gutter shite. 5.5/10

The Accused - Bullet-Ridden Bodies - Never heard this or them, wish the production was friendlier to a metal pigeon hole rather than a crusty punk vibe but it's cool 7/10

Heathen - Goblin's Blade - Always loved the riffs but was indifferent to Mr White at the time. Put me off buying a physical copy back then and for that l do regret. Cost you some pennies now folks 7.5/10

Shackles - Cat o' Nine Tails - Wicked! Love to pretend I'd heard of these guys coming from Bendigo but nope. Gets messier as it goes on. Not so wicked 6/10

Avenger - Warrior Path - Unless I'm prepared, I'm too impatient to listen to a fucking acoustic intro with spoken words nowadays, but for this - wow what a voice. Open me up Avenger 8.5/10

Ice Nine Kills - Stabbing in the Dark - Love the spooky melody intro for 5 seconds but then Hollywood 4/10

Razor - Brass Knuckles - This is getting far too much kudos than it deserves. Love Razor and this album but.. this either says stella playlist or crappy playlist 7/10

Eternal Champion - I Am the Hammer - If there was an obvious pick, it might just have well have been this instant classic and not one like below. They just nailed it 10/10

Bolt Thrower - The Killchain - Pretty sure l have linked the video to this about 16 times so far to UM threads. Someone who likes to keep track of me might answer something like that.. like wains, he likes to keep track of me. But you never know 10/10

Killer topic! Paid absolutely no attention to the topic! Killer playlist!