Dio Tribute "Children of the Sea" Song Discussion

Dan and I hadn't come to a decision on that yet ... neither is gonna make much of a difference to me except that if I bring my axe down to D for this I'll need to get it adjusted 1st cause it'll probably start to buzz on the A & D strings a little on the lower notes. The other thing with that is even a 1/2 step difference can have an impact on how Travis is gonna sing it so if he feels most comfortable in D# / Eb whatever (thats the same shit right?) then I say we do it that way. If he's fine with it being in just D than we do that. Let Travis weigh in on it 1st ... that should be the real determining factor

Jesse, calm down buddy. I know you're just being super enthusiastic and thats awesome and I can't wait to hear you blaze out those solos but you're getting just a touch overbearing. Lets keep this chill and fun so no one takes anything the wrong way, cool?

Oh and lets save everyone time when typing my name ... Carlos, or just Los is fine .. quicker than typing SkinnyViking ;)

Whats your name again Executioner?

It just dawned on me that we have a guy from Montana, a guy from North Dakota, and a guy from Minnesota working on the same tune. I wonder what the odds were on that one?

I have sung it in the original tuning for a number of years, but given the nature of my voice, I think it would sound better a half step lower.

I'll give it a shot on the drive home and see how it feels a half step lower.

Well I started learning the song just 5 minutes ago and in order to go with Jesse´s and Kevin´s wish to keep it at D# I started learning the song that way, with my bass tuned at D but playing it all 1/2 step up so it´s no big deal.

now the end will depend on Travis, if you think you can do it in the original tuning we´re all ready for it, but if you need to make it half step down I guess we can do it

as far as anything I do, I'm gonna try to stick to around 75% original, just beefing it up a little and adding a few little things here and there that I think will sound nice

in terms of the actual arrangement and tempo, etc .. pretty much like the original. I have no plans on adding a new section or repeating something that doesn't need it ... you get the idea

Hey Jussi

I'm gonna try to have some scratch guitar shit done over the next couple days to get off to your boy. Does he only want it to a click or is it ok if I use some really basic midi beats to better get the feel. Some drummers don't have a problem with playing along to a pre-recorded set of beats but I just thought I'd ask 1st

Hoping to be done with some REALLY rough scratch tracks by like tomorrow or so. I'll probably be learning the song as I track it :D

Click track and a scratch guitar track is enough, Antto knows the songs by heart.
With this song the most "difficult" parts are the lenghts of the clean guitar parts (intro and after the solo) and the transitions to and from these.
There are different versions played by Black Sabbath where they go into these parts by feel, so here's where the guitar tracks help. Just so we're all playing the same song! :)

Take your time, we probably won't be able to get to these until maybe some time next week, maybe even after? Can't be helped, so much else to do.

I'm doing the recording and I'll be using eq's and comps on the way in to get the sounds rockin', that ok with everyone?
I'm not talking about making it sound finished (or who knows!), but doing stuff that would be done anyways, like cutting out mud etc.

Sounds great man, maybe that buys me a little more time ;)

I have some homework to do ... still trying to work out what my arrangement will be for it cause obviously its gonna have bearing on everyone. All I will say is this, tell Antto that we want to keep this close to the original but just beef it up. Try to take the powerhouse drumming thing on this song to the next level so he should feel free to experiment with things. I also have some idea on a production level that I have kicking in the back of my mind that I've started taking notes of. How does everyone feel about adding some more depth to this tune with maybe some orchestral elements?

Okay guys---did some experimenting with it last night, and while I hate to be the wrench in the tuning issue, I really think the singing will sound better a half step flatter than the original recording. It's just enough lower to bring more power into the highest notes.