Dio Tribute "Children of the Sea" Song Discussion

Okidoki guys, just so everyone is on the same page ... Working out some details with Jussi .. it may still be a couple of weeks before Antto can do the drums. That being the case, I've been working out some arrangement ideas and I'll be doing a really rough set of programmed drum parts. I've got some guitar part ideas and drum ideas that may directly interact with each other so once I have them I'll send the whole set over to Jussi and Antto and let them do their thing. Once the drums are done I'll edit them and at that point its up to all you guys if you want the edited drum tracks to practice along to while I'm tracking my actual guitars or if you just want to wait until my parts are done.

Kevin - I put your acoustic parts into the session ... REALLY nice sounding man, great job on that. I also liked what you did for the chorus parts but I may need to get with you on that and have you do them again. I also was gonna ask you for a couple more parts but let me figure them out 1st .. just in case, always good to have more parts than you need ;)

In the meantime, between getting drum parts worked out I'm still experimenting with the guitar sound I'll actually be going with and most likely once I settle on something I'll be asking for opinions. Main idea of the guitar tone I'll be going for is that its not meant to be the focal point, its a sound thats gonna blend in well with lots of layers

Well...one thing we can do is kinda hold off until you have a tempo map and a solid, for-sure guide that is going to be followed and I can do them again with a contrast of parts I dredged up and stuff you wanted in there. I'm not against doing them again, by any means. I even heard a fuck-up after uploading them that I must not have payed attention to at the time...first time doing an online collab, and I wanted to hold up my word of getting it done when I said I would. I don't know how best to let me know what you had wanted: I use power tab quite a bit for notating ideas, so maybe kicking me a quick ptb file or whatever...?

For guitar tone, think like Tony Iommi. He doesn't use a shit ton of distortion, but focuses more on pushing the amp into distorting on it's own. He also doesn't generally use a clean channel...he will pretty much just roll his guitar volume down to where it cleans up with a little fuzz over it. Iommi was one of those guys who had to use practically nothing to get a sound he liked, so he's a good person to follow for how to dial an amp. He is especially a good example because he isn't drowning out the bass, which is one big reason I was so attatched to Sabbath as a kid - the fact there were really 2 separate instruments there, not just two doing the same thing.

To update on this, Carlos and I have been trading some tracks privately as small tests for the arrangements we would do on the song and get into the ballpark of the tone would use for the guitars and bass, I'm gonna post here Carlos's version of the chorus of the song on which I recorded my bassline, this track has the bass really loud so it can be heard in detail and obviously it's not supposed to be this loud in the final version. The tone and playing technique is my attempt to emulate geezer's unique sound but the basslines are pretty much enhanced from his version (which is also excellent, just wanted to print my own style into it)

Let me know what you think
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/954292/Music%20samples-stems/COTS%20with%20bass.mp3

Just bumping this

about 90% done with arrangement ideas ... been going over a couple other changes with Dan, trying to figure what will work best

in the meantime, I had my boy George lay down some spontaneous, ad libbed background vocals for the chorus parts ... have to see how they'll be used after the Wrench is done with his vocals

I already heard from Jussi a few days ago ;)

he said I should have the drum tracks in a couple days at the latest ... that would have been YESTERDAY JUSSI!!!!!!!!! hahahahaha

Waah! :cry: As soon as Antto gets done editing them, you'll get 'em.
Bills come first, we have to prioritize... :bah: (Should be tomorrow, but .. you know.. )

Have you checked out the other songs' drums? How do you like the sounds?
I think they should be workable, whatever the direction.

Just fuckin with ya a bit Jussi, no worries man ;)

Seriously though, you guys should have just sent me the raw tracks when you were done, I would have had all the editing done by now. Thats not a poke at Antto or anything, just saying I had a lot of free time for the last few days

I did check out one of the other tunes, I really like the drum sound. Might just reinforce it with some samples to make them a little bigger, maybe not. By the way, did you guys get clean hits of all the drums? Would prefer to sample with his own kit if at all possible. If not, no big deal

If you want to just send me the drums as they are now, its not a problem for me to finish the editing, just so you know

Well, the tracks are all over the place (playlists, different takes and all) and I know Antto doesn't want to release anything that he hasn't approved.

Yes we did samples, I'll upload them at some point as well.

If you listened to Stand up and Shout, that already has some samples tucked under on the snare and toms, to beef it up.

Okidoki guys, just so you know .. I now have the drum files! (fuck yeah!)

I already started doing some additional edits to the drums but it will not take long due to Antto putting in some time and also just doing a stellar performance. Thank you and Kippis to both Jussi & Antto for this. I will be "reconstructing" a couple of the drum parts, a couple of very small sections that I should have stressed were actually kinda important as the guitar line will be based off it. There was also another part that was very different but I split the difference between what Dan and I had worked out and what Antto had played and so its a nice compromise that I think sounds very interesting but still quite natural.

Had to make a few adjustments to a couple tracks, room mics were about 30 ms behind the rest of the kit but overall everything is sounding very nice. I'll continue rebuilding some sections while waiting for Jussi to get me the clean samples of the drum kit but for the most part there is no real need (minus a few odd hits) to slam this thing to the grid. Antto played like a fucking champ to the click. His timing and rhythm is so good in fact ... I think he might actually be Spanish :headbang:

Looking to be done with all restructuring and editing by friday so if you can get me the samples by then Jussi, I can start drum replacing over the weekend and maybe even start with some guitars

Cool. The room mics were about 4-5m from the kit, thus the small delay. Slam it with a compressor and tuck that in there, works a treat!
FWIW, I never line up the room mics and/or OH's with the close mics. I want to room there.

I remembered those few points only after we rec'd, sorry! We did try to follow the scratch drums, except the one fill before the "fast" part,
IIRC, which Antto dismissed out of hand (muttering something that no drummer would ever play like that or something..).

Anyways, hope it's working! :)

Cool. The room mics were about 4-5m from the kit, thus the small delay. Slam it with a compressor and tuck that in there, works a treat!
FWIW, I never line up the room mics and/or OH's with the close mics. I want to room there.

I remembered those few points only after we rec'd, sorry! We did try to follow the scratch drums, except the one fill before the "fast" part,
IIRC, which Antto dismissed out of hand (muttering something that no drummer would ever play like that or something..).

Anyways, hope it's working! :)

all good man .. I didn't move the OH, just the room mics were off from the OHs and I was hearing some weird flams here and there until I realized it was from the room mic.

that's funny about the fill you're speaking of before the "fast" part ... my drummer wrote it cause its a fill he likes to do in breaks :D

Maybe Antto meant to mutter "no Finnish drummer would ever play like that" ;) hahahaha

I'm gonna see if I can rework the guitar part to line up with the fill he DID play, if not, well then by the time I'm done with it Antto WILL have played that fill ... he just won't remember playing it