Dio Tribute "Children of the Sea" Song Discussion

by the way Jussi ... not trying to pressure you or anything but do you think you'll be able to get me the samples by this weekend? Just cause I have 2 other projects I'm working on and I'm trying to get a plan together for organizing my time

also just want to say one more time, you two did a great job with the drums!:headbang:

Thanks Jussi!

I'll see what I can do with these, they sound nice ... for future reference you might want to get more than just one clean hit per drum when sampling a kit ;) At least 5 of various velocities would be a lot better.

almost done with the drum tracks ... all editing is done, finalized the kick and have a very tasty snare sound going (added a sample along with the original). Only have to reinforce the tom tracks and I'll be ready to lay down the guitars (this weekend hopefully).

I kept Antto's performance about 90% as it was. Just added some extra kick drum work here and there to some of the spots that were written that way. I'll also be keeping his tom sound and just reinforcing it with his own kit samples. I like it cause its very natural sounding. Pretty much exactly what I did with the kick drums too

I'll have to experiment to decide if I'm gonna go with 2 or 4 rhythm tracks. Dan already heard a rough version of the main guitar tone and we both liked it cause it has a bit of an Iommi character to it. Dan, the bass sound you were messing with may need to change a little cause its soo mid heavy and the guitars do have enough extra gain that some of your performance is getting lost. I'd say lets stick to the original plan where you get me a processed version with the sound you were going for, one completely unprocessed & also just a DI. If anything I can try reamping the DI through my sansamp

Ok thats the update for now.

I still don't understand one thing: One processed how "I want the tone to be", one completely unprocessed and one DI. What's the difference between the completely unprocessed and the DI?

Btw thanks for the update, and I can't wait to have this song finished cause I know it's gonna kick total ass.

You had worked out a tone that emulated Butler's bass tone ... the really mid heavy one

You also had told me that you got this tone by running it through a couple bass plugins (Ampeg?)

So what I would like, just to have the most options available, is when you track your bass, set it up with your plugins to get the sound you were trying for and then print that to a new track when you're done. This way you'll have a version that has the sound you were fucking with, but then you can also send me the original track without the plugins on it (unprocessed) and the DI you tracked along with that

I'm not sure how you're tracking everything so I thought you might have a standard bass tone you usually use and the one you sent me was an experiment. That would be the difference between the DI and your unprocessed bass track

You picking up what I'm putting down? :D

still not picking up hahahahaha

Yes I got a kind-of Geezer emulating sound from my DI track, but that was by changing a bit my normal playing technique and pickups setting. And yeah I used ampeg Svx (and a touch of eq and compression i think, don´t remember) so that is my "processed" tone which you would use just for reference for mixing.

Ohhhhh I think I got it now. So you want me to give you my "standard" bass tone besides the raw DI and the geezer try? Well I don´t really have that, I do have an amp but no cab right now, so I just go DI and try to get my "tone" with playing technique, so that is what you get in the DIs

Did I get it right now?

Bump just to have it on top, and have updates on this. So Carlos should be having those rhythm guitars finished soon, what about the accoustic guitars? are those gonna have to be recorded again or are those tracks ok with the tempo we're using for the song? don't remember how that ended up. And well, soon enough we'll record the bass, lead guitar and vocals (haven't seen Wrench-boy around for a while) and this will be the most kick-ass song in all the tribute

The acoustic tracks should be fine ... I had to slice and dice them a bit but elastic audio is fucking awesome ;)

I was working out a couple minor changes to some of my guitar parts, just to conform better to what the drums are doing so I'm setting my goal of having the rough tracks posted here for everyone to start tracking their parts by this saturday, sunday at THE LATEST

Then while everyone is doing their thing that'll give me time to work out some of the orchestration and additional keyboard parts. I'll also PM everyone involved when the tracks are posted so they know to look in the thread

Dan, whatever happened with your lady friend doing some additional backing vocals? Did that fall through? Not a big deal if it did cause I can get plenty of extra backing vocals from my buddy who is doing vocals for Jesse's project as well

-Los

I'll get my lady friend to do those vox, how should I approach them? isn't it better to have at the very least a scratch track of Travis's main vocals and your boy's backings? or should I just give her the backing you gave me of your boy?

In other words, gimme some kind of backing track for her to record upon

yeah I guess it'll be better to wait until the wrench cuts some vox 1st. I had my buddy do those vocal clips I sent you just off the the super rough version you and I bounced back and forth a couple times. He basically just ad libbed a bunch of shit that I can probably just fit in under Trav's vocals easily enough

I've got on my lucky Helloween "Keepers I" original tour shirt ... thats right, original. This shirt is 24 fucking years old. Its my good juju shirt. Paper thin, sleeveless, lots of holes .... and the only shirt I will wear while tracking guitars

I know leave this thread and this forum to start my guitars for the song

Spirit Dragon! Lend me your strength for this is my darkest hour!

I've got on my lucky Helloween "Keepers I" original tour shirt ... thats right, original. This shirt is 24 fucking years old. Its my good juju shirt. Paper thin, sleeveless, lots of holes .... and the only shirt I will wear while tracking guitars

I know leave this thread and this forum to start my guitars for the song

Spirit Dragon! Lend me your strength for this is my darkest hour!

May the Keeper of the Seven keys and the Spirit Dragon be with you my friend! I trust those won't be anything less than fenomenal :worship:

I finished the rhythms a few hours ago.... was just taking a break cause my eyes started getting twitchy

anyway, I also already edited anything that needed it in for the rhythms and have just been spending some time fucking with those acoustic tracks. I had done all the time stretching and chopping for one main acoustic track ... totally forgot there were 2 more :p So it took me a while to get all the extra parts lined up and all that shit. Anyway, just have to run through the acoustic tracks to make sure they're clean and all and I'll have rough tracks up for everyone to grab by tomorrow afternoon.

Ok I'm done ... heading into center city for the night to go hit some bars. I NEED it

Cheers!
-C