Katatonia: Overrated in the underground community?

Katatonia: Overrated in the underground community?

• Yes.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • No.

Votes: 34 59.6%

• Total voters
The last 2 I've liked A LOT on initial listens but found them to have very little long-term value... whereas I keep coming back to DO-Viva era again and again. I'm sure part of this is due to nostalgia & the role Katatonia played in cementing my taste for this kind of music

The last album was overrated garbage, seriously fell asleep every time I through it on. Anyhow, what the hell happened to their official forum on UM.com? Deron's really been phoning it in the past few years. tsk tsk

The last album was overrated garbage, seriously fell asleep every time I through it on. Anyhow, what the hell happened to their official forum on UM.com? Deron's really been phoning it in the past few years. tsk tsk

Last album is a grower. Takes a while to appreciate.

How many listens bruh? I gave it at least 15 spins before discarding it as a coaster.

It took me a long time of disliking it before it came to be one of my favorites by them.

1. Viva Emptiness
2. Tonight's Decision
3. Night Is The New Day

I probably go back to LFDGD and Tonight's Decision more than I do NitND, but I still think NitND is a fantastic album. Viva Emptiness, however, I find a bit over-rated - the songs are brilliant, don't get me wrong, but something about the production rubs me up the wrong way every time. I find the guitar tone a bit horrible.

Never liked Katatonia. They somehow managed to walk the line between soft and and heavy. They ended up in a completely bland no-mans-land, in my opinion.