KILLSWITCH ENGAGE

Hey Nevvy.
AND: you'll NEVER get an awesome tone by copying someone else's settings on your equipment....if you want an awesome tone you'll have to learn to dial in your own amp so that it sounds awesome in YOUR room with YOUR guitar, YOUR cab, YOUR playing etc

I disagree. And it shouldn't even be called tone for this matter. If you look at the gear aspect of the trying to achieve a sound, this is possible. This can just be duplicated by getting the exact same gear (obvious) and achieving that exact 'tone'. However: When you add a player into the picture, he dosen't bring his 'guitar tone' in. He brings his individual feel. Anyone can get the same tone from the same setup. If you had different guitarist play through the same halfstack consecutively one after the other and playing the same guitar, the guitar tone wouldn't change because the guitar tone is being achieved through the guitar, it's pickups, wood, amp, cab, etc. Each player though would bring their own feel into the sound, which I could understand that as being something that people would say changes tone. Even though the amp would stay the same, different players vibrato different, pick different, etc, etc. so It'd just be a matter of the way the riff is played be different.

In other words, It's possible to get the same guitar tone yes. But you'll never recreate Adam/Joel playing that riff because you're not them (Obvious).

I disagree. And it shouldn't even be called tone for this matter. If you look at the gear aspect of the trying to achieve a sound, this is possible. This can just be duplicated by getting the exact same gear (obvious) and achieving that exact 'tone'. However: When you add a player into the picture, he dosen't bring his 'guitar tone' in. He brings his individual feel. Anyone can get the same tone from the same setup. If you had different guitarist play through the same halfstack consecutively one after the other and playing the same guitar, the guitar tone wouldn't change because the guitar tone is being achieved through the guitar, it's pickups, wood, amp, cab, etc. Each player though would bring their own feel into the sound, which I could understand that as being something that people would say changes tone. Even though the amp would stay the same, different players vibrato different, pick different, etc, etc. so It'd just be a matter of the way the riff is played be different.

In other words, It's possible to get the same guitar tone yes. But you'll never recreate Adam/Joel playing that riff because you're not them (Obvious).

Sorry Disagree hugely.
Peoples playing technique has an ENORMOUS influence on how the tone sounds. sure buying all the gear will get you in the ball park; but its in the hands.

Sorry Disagree hugely.
Peoples playing technique has an ENORMOUS influence on how the tone sounds. sure buying all the gear will get you in the ball park; but its in the hands.

+ a Million!

experienced this soooo often....set up the amp for a player, then had the other player of the band play through the same Amp, using the same guitar and the tone TOTALLY sucked.
some amps react less to the player (5150 for example), some react A LOT...like the Recto for example.
there are players that sound like they're using rubber bands for strings when they're playing through a recto, and the same settings sound AWESOME on other players.

tone is HEAVILY influenced by the player. YOUR fingers, how hard YOU press on a fret. Yes gear plays a part, but the hands that are playing, do more so.

Best example I can think of is Santana. Whether you like him or not, his PRS, marshall and big muff get him in the ballpark, but when you hear a song with him on it, Theres this smoothness to the tone, which is mostly associated with his style, but his hands dictate the style, which dictate the tone.

All in all, everyone knows you just set all the knobs on a recto to 2 oclock and call it a day. /putonflamesuit.....

^mostly kidding..

Another +lots

90% of tone is in the players hands. A great guitar player through a shit amp sounds better than a shit guitar player through a great amp.
How you hold the pick/hit the strings/fret the notes has a MASSIVE influence on what comes out of the amp. MASSIVE!

+10000000000000000000000000

this is why every jackass with a jcm900 and a les paul doesnt sound like slash

Edit: i would also like to add that bass tone has a lot more to do with the perceived recorded guitar tone than most people realize. you are hardly ever listening to a solo'd guitar track, and if you did you would be surprised at how weak it is sometimes (black album is a great example of this - awesome bass and drum sound, mediocre guitar tone that works well in the mix).

+10000000000000000000000000 x 2

Thinking the player doesn't matter is like thinking you'll sound like Sinatra by singing through an U47...complete and utter nonsense.

So, does anyone know what amps Adam and Joel are currently sporting?

EDIT: I forgot that Adam switched to Laney amps now and he's using passive pickups now and PRS's?

Formus are so awkward! I don't know how to use them as well clearly!! They don't have a simple layout like websites do (im guessing as they are setup not for profit) - they are all over the place and so much is going on! It's all so confusing.

dude, now you're just taking the piss...don't tell me you're too stupid to find the "edit" button, it's right next to the "quote" button, which you're using all the time.
No need to constantly post 3-5 posts one after the other in the same thread and within 5 minutes, just edit the first one.
you've been warned three times...goodbye

main-thumb-t-8762-50-d36ZPC8Swu98s1bFP2J7q01mBVCBPFtr.jpeg

Does anyone else really dislike the way that this album is smashed to fuck and back in the mastering? Tried using it as a reference once and just laughed when I saw the waveform. Surely that's *not* what you're meant to do?

Pretty displeased with their new choice in amps. The Ironheart just sounds weak but maybe it's me. KsE to me has always had great guitar tone throughout their career (aojb - self titled) but the whole Ironheart thing just dosen't stand to their past tone

Does anyone else really dislike the way that this album is smashed to fuck and back in the mastering? Tried using it as a reference once and just laughed when I saw the waveform. Surely that's *not* what you're meant to do?

Which album are you talking about?
TEOHA is rather low in volume compared to most modern productions...
so you wanted to use it as a reference, cause you liked the sound, then you SAW it and didn't like it anymore?
were you painting a picture, or mixing music?

tone is HEAVILY influenced by the player. YOUR fingers, how hard YOU press on a fret. Yes gear plays a part, but the hands that are playing, do more so.

Best example I can think of is Santana. Whether you like him or not, his PRS, marshall and big muff get him in the ballpark, but when you hear a song with him on it, Theres this smoothness to the tone, which is mostly associated with his style, but his hands dictate the style, which dictate the tone.

+1

Your Santana example is similar to my thoughts on several artists - for example I just took my wife (for her birthday) to see Joe Bonamassa last week and despite changing his gear frequently over the years - going from custom Tele and Strat type guitars to now mostly Gibson (LP, Flying V, Firebird, ES) and everything from Budda amps, Marshall Silver Jubilees, the Van Weelden Twinkleland, Carol-Ann amps, ... He still has such a distinct sound that always gives away exactly who is playing guitar. Not just in technique (I always associate him with a very fluid violin like technique) but also in the tone he achieves from whatever setup he's using at that time.

Gear will get you in the ballpark perhaps, but the player brings so much more to the overall results.

I wanting to sell my Killswitch Engage record award. Award is in excellent condition and very rare. Send me a email to rogeande at yahoo if you are interested.

KillswitchEngageAsDaylightDies.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]