Most Overrated Band

hey shaddap Dream Theater is cool :) naw whatev, you don't have to like them but i for one can say they are NOT overrated... it just helps if you play some kind of similar music (fast, technical) so that that part doesn't seem so weird to you (cause the technicality is nothing new to you) and you can see what ELSE is going on in the music without being overwhelmed with the technical aspect. They don't go into really slow passages like Opeth does, but the music is still very brilliant (and NO i am not talking about how cool and fast it is!) It is so funny... over at DT boards you get people saying almost the EXACT same things about Opeth, except instead of the "where's the emotion? it is a total wank-fest" you get "the music is good but the vocals are so silly, i mean there is no talent in puking into a mic, it is monotone, you can't make out the words, and it is a stupid attemp to sound evil" And hey i defend both bands! I know there's others here who love these two bands i can't be the only one!

so ANYWAY back on topic. i think the most overrated bands are:

Limp Bizkit (HOW did they get so popular? And i don't say this because i hate Nu Metal, i actually LIKE nu metal but this is fucking rediculous)
Dimmu Borgir (kinda good but not mind blowing or anything)
Joe Satriani (ok, but not the god of guitar OR melodic guitar like people say)
Cannibal Corpse (I dunno... i never liked them much.. I'll take Dying Fetus, Cryptopsy, or Gorguts anyday over them)
Dark Tranquility (ok this one not so much, they're good, but i can think of at least 10 better melodic death bands)

Originally posted by Sadistik

Bal-Sagoth-NEver met anyone who likes'em, but if I ever did, I'd punch him in the face.

uh oh, i better stay away from you then :D

i think pantera is the most overrated band ever.
every time someone says they are the kings of metal, i can't help but laugh. there are sooo many bands out there that are better.

Originally posted by transfixed

uh oh, i better stay away from you then :D

i think pantera is the most overrated band ever.
every time someone says they are the kings of metal, i can't help but laugh. there are sooo many bands out there that are better.

You've been at the Yahoo metal chat rooms too, huh :lol: :lol:

Metallica - Black album...

Megadeth - Youthanasia and on

Katatonia - GOD i hate Katatonia, and that dude's droning voice.

Black Sabbath

In Flames - Colony, Clayman. Terrible albums. FORMULA metal.

Soilwork - A predators portrait. Like i said. Soilwork = In Flames II

Cradle of Filth - Admittedly, i MORE THAN love 'MIDIAN', it is such a great album, but i can't STAND anything else from them. Dani Puke is an arrogant asshole goth wannabe.

Carcass

Dark Tranquillity

Lacuna Coil

Slayer

Originally posted by Trapped

Soilwork - A predators portrait. Like i said. Soilwork = In Flames II

haha you fuckin jackass!! May as well say "every brutal death band ever=Cannibal Corpse! They sound WAY more the same than In Flames and Soilwork! Soilwork is about 10 times more aggressive and technical... Sure ok you can hate the band, or both bands, but that is just retarded saying Soilwork=In Flames II.... Fuckin Dark Tranquility (who i've noticed are a favorite here) are WAY closer to In Flames sond than Soilwork... I mean come on, hate them all you wanty but don't post like an idiot.

this is just for you lina :)...hehe, i hope this is the katatonia debate you were refering to-
ok......here goes my response...........

i love katatonia

:cool:

Attachments

• katchik.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 35
haha you fuckin jackass!! May as well say "every brutal death band ever=Cannibal Corpse! They sound WAY more the same than In Flames and Soilwork! Soilwork is about 10 times more aggressive and technical... Sure ok you can hate the band, or both bands, but that is just retarded saying Soilwork=In Flames II.... Fuckin Dark Tranquility (who i've noticed are a favorite here) are WAY closer to In Flames sond than Soilwork... I mean come on, hate them all you wanty but don't post like an idiot.

You've got no idea. You honestly have no idea, do you?

Listen to Clayman, and then listen to Predator's, and note: Every single song is built up in the same way:

Intro, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Solo, Chorus, Outtro.

EVERY single song, by BOTH bands.

And what is the dal with 'brutal' and 'aggressive' and 'technical'?? huh?? Soilwork are none of those things. Tell me, do you like 'Slipknot', simply because they are 'aggressive'?? Huh? Jackass yourself, you sorry excuse for a virgin corpse-penis.

You throw around words like 'Brutal', when you don't even know the true meaning of the word. 'Brutal' is bands like Damaged, or Nile. But don't simply call everything that you BLINDLY love 'brutal'.

'Technical' huh? I sure see -alot- of 4/4 time for it to be technical!! Repeated riffs, Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus structure.... SURE, that's technical :lol:

...And by the way, Dark Tranquillity are nothing like In Flames. Where did that come from?? I didn't mention them, and i don't even LIKE DT. (btw, you seem to be SUCH an informed guy, i though you might have actually like to spell their name correctly...!!)

for what I have heard I dare to say they're only pushing Morbid Angel's sound with Egyptian passages in about 5% of the music, but whatever. Nevermind.

Egiptian music is widely based on a reduced version of the Harmonic Minor Scale ( a Minor scale with a sharp 7th ) wich is widely used in music since a couple hundred of years. To the dumbass idiots like yourself it might sound like just another band using harmonic minor scales ( something that morbid angel has used if im not mistaken ) but to someone who actually puts atention it IS an egiptian scale. Saying Nile sounds like Morbid Angel cause of the egiptian scale SIMILARITY with the harmonic minor scale is like saying Katatonia sounds like blues cause katatonia uses natural minor scales and Blues is a simplified version of the natural minor scale, but the key if the lack of the sound wich is what makes the blues sound and is what makes the egiptian sound found in Nile through virtually every fucking goddamn riff they make. If you would give the band a chance and listen to what i just said for 5 minutes you would realize you dont need to use crazy egiptian instruments all the time to make strongly egiptian influenced music.

Originally posted by Jannet

Just a thought - wouldn't a better example be of a band that IS technical or complex and that IS overrated?

Edit: I've read this quote over and over...my poor overworked brain...is..trying...agh...the....torture...of..compre...hen..sion.....AGGGGGH!!!!! Okay...let's think of a band who is overconsidered, overestimated and overregarded and that is technical. There, currently, since I blew several brain cells, I don't have an answer. :p

You need to get some sleep; I'm concerned about your health.
---> I'll be around tomorrow too;)

Originally posted by Trapped

You've got no idea. You honestly have no idea, do you?

Listen to Clayman, and then listen to Predator's, and note: Every single song is built up in the same way:

Intro, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Solo, Chorus, Outtro.

EVERY single song, by BOTH bands.

And what is the dal with 'brutal' and 'aggressive' and 'technical'?? huh?? Soilwork are none of those things. Tell me, do you like 'Slipknot', simply because they are 'aggressive'?? Huh? Jackass yourself, you sorry excuse for a virgin corpse-penis.

You throw around words like 'Brutal', when you don't even know the true meaning of the word. 'Brutal' is bands like Damaged, or Nile. But don't simply call everything that you BLINDLY love 'brutal'.

'Technical' huh? I sure see -alot- of 4/4 time for it to be technical!! Repeated riffs, Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus structure.... SURE, that's technical :lol:

...And by the way, Dark Tranquillity are nothing like In Flames. Where did that come from?? I didn't mention them, and i don't even LIKE DT. (btw, you seem to be SUCH an informed guy, i though you might have actually like to spell their name correctly...!!)

1)Yes i have a clue...

2)Virtually every song is structured this way (besides opeth and many prog bands)

3)Never called Soilwork "Brutal" (and besides i DO know what brutal is... i own Nile's "Nephren-Ka" and some Cryptopsy and Suffocation... Ever heard Gorguts? Great Canadian Death band... Obscure is an insane album)

4)They are more aggressive than In Flames (THAT was the point of the word usage)

5)Technical does not equal odd time sigs. I was refering to the solo's and rhythms anyway. Again i state that i was using the word "technical" not as in "YES it is technical", "NO it's not technical", but as a descriptor. I said "SOILWORK IS MORE TECHNICAL THAT IN FLAMES" not, "SOILWORK IS THE MOST TECHNICAL BAND IN THE WORLD AND I KNOW EVERYTHING". Would you not agree with the first statement? I'm not an idiot. don't jump to conclusions and put words in my mouth.

6)No i do not like Slipknot simply because they are aggressive. Remember we're on an Opeth forum. I have an understanding of music. Don't try to make me look stupid.

7)The Technical thing again. I repeat: Song structure has little to do with technicality, and although time sigs do, they are not the be all to end all of determining if something is technical. I thought the general agreement for the definition of technical means that it is difficult to replicate?

8)Dark Tranquillity (sorry about the error there.. i read once in an amazon.com review that it was spelled with one "l" and they got it wrong, and i am glad that you thought that because i spelled it wrong it was a valid point to your argument) does sound like In Flames or it would not be called "Melodic Death Metal"... N'Sync sounds NOTHING (i like your use of absolute words... shows how open minded you are) like In Flames, Dark Tranquillity (again i apologize for the spelling error) does.

9)Actually you did mention them, as one of your overrated bands. (even though it has nothing to do with my comment)

10)The comment about DT was not directed really at you... i am sorry about that one. I just know there are people who feel the way you do about In Flames & Soilwork who *don't* think it is similar to In Flames (i mean come on people... I know lyrics are the huge difference... but the sound of the music is VERY similar, maybe a bit more melancholy)

Don't assume i'm some "newbie" to these styles of music just because i like the more popular bands of the style (like In Flames and Soilwork) I guess i'm just not "tr00" like you when it comes to the music huh? I'm one of those trendy bitches right? Yeah, i must be. What an idiot i am, thinking i know anything about this kind of music. I can't believe myself. I should get out of here (where i am OBVIOUSLY out of my league) and go listen to that brutal death band Slipknot... man they arew so crazy brutal and aggressive.

I think some of you overrate Opeth.
Don't get me wrong, I think Opeth is great, but you don't have to be a genius to do something like that...

Mick Jackoff and the Rolling Rocks.

They sucked when I was a youngster and they still do, but the majority loves them....I could never understand that.

"Shee-doobiii, shattered, shattered" - puke!

ok I'm not being a smart-ass here or anything.. I just get annoyed every time I see this.. just like Dark TranquiLity.. ARGH! It's a band's name and u've got to spell it correctly, even if the band themselves spell it wrong.. and it's not about Satori.. a lot of ppl did it here..

Dark TranquiLLity

Dream TheatER

TheatRE of Tragedy

ok? :)