Albums you still can't get into

Necrophagist is great. Sometimes it's better to listen to stuff that's well thought out & heavy in a technical sense instead of stuff that's just flat out hectic with no direction or chop full of power chords & blast beats. It's become cool to hate them & I have found out absolutely no reason why. They're not a sellout band, but he did work to get his band some popularity in the genre. More people know who Black Sabbath are than Necro, yet nobody hates Black Sabbath. Maybe people hate bands with shreddy guitar solos?

I can figure out why people shit talk on a lot of bands like Children of Bodom, but I can't for the life of me figure out why people hate Necrophagist so much.

I like how you automatically assume that the reason people hate certain bands is because they're popular.

Necrophagist is mindless wankery with little to no songwriting. I do, however, like their first album.

Necrophagist is great. Sometimes it's better to listen to stuff that's well thought out & heavy in a technical sense instead of stuff that's just flat out hectic with no direction or chop full of power chords & blast beats. It's become cool to hate them & I have found out absolutely no reason why. They're not a sellout band, but he did work to get his band some popularity in the genre. More people know who Black Sabbath are than Necro, yet nobody hates Black Sabbath. Maybe people hate bands with shreddy guitar solos?

but necro had a guy from slipknot guest on thier aalbum. and black sabbath doesnt suck. bands like necrophagus and psyopus, those bands seem to focus totally on musicianship and technicallity, and not enough on making good Death Metal.
and i never have, or ever will accuse Necrophagus of being sellouts, because they are (kinda) new, and have always done what they have done.

I can figure out why people shit talk on a lot of bands like Children of Bodom, but I can't for the life of me figure out why people hate Necrophagist so much.

I just find it to be technicality for the sake of technicality with no real point. a band like Pestilence is technical, but they also write good songs. Necrophagist are just about showing off. I don't know about you, but I might be metalhead now, but at my heart I'm a punker, and I tend to frown upon instrumental jerk-offs. that crap is for hippies and musos.

I like how you automatically assume that the reason people hate certain bands is because they're popular.

Necrophagist is mindless wankery with little to no songwriting. I do, however, like their first album.

Umm... I never really assumed people automatically just automatically hate them because they're somewhat well known in the scene BUT OF COURSE we both know there are quite a few people out there with the mentality I speak of - but this might not apply to you.

I adore their first album. The 2nd one is not that great. The first album builds up to the 4th song before it starts to shred & that's what's so cool about. I find the songs to be very memorable, & usually you can credit songwriting when something is memorable like they are for the genre. Probably one of the best produced DM albums I've ever heard.

Also, they only have two albums dude... You can think that the 2nd album is the most abysmal piece of shit ever written & like the first one & it doesn't mean you hate the band because they put out one album that wasn't up to par. Wait to see what they do on the next one.

I can't get into Dream Theater. They suck. I can't get into "prog" in general, unless it is progressive death metal.
I've actually been meaning to seriously explore prog rock from the 70s. It seems that there are quite a few interesting and inspired bands that emerged from that period.

Slayer's Diabolus in Musica... shudder.
Worst album ever, though: Catch 22 by Hypocrisy... I'm a fan of Hypocrisy and in general like most of their music, but I can't even stand to listen to a single song on this album without cringing. I chucked it.

more_you_know1.jpg

I've actually been meaning to seriously explore prog rock from the 70s. It seems that there are quite a few interesting and inspired bands that emerged from that period.

My friend has been doing this a lot with Genesis & Yes. I like a lot of that stuff, but I don't have as much knowledge on it as I would like to. Emerson, Lake, & Palmer is the bomb though. I would statr with them & King Crimson. King Crimson is cool as shit & weird, but it's a good taste to acquire.

My friend has been doing this a lot with Genesis & Yes. I like a lot of that stuff, but I don't have as much knowledge on it as I would like to. Emerson, Lake, & Palmer is the bomb though. I would statr with them & King Crimson. King Crimson is cool as shit & weird, but it's a good taste to acquire.
Just browse some lists of prog rock albums on rateyourmusic and you'll find what you're looking for. Last Fm can be helpful in finding artists that are similar to your favorites, although at times thry're quite off the mark.

I know King Crimson, they're great. Used to listen to Yes heaps but grew weary of them.

I've been enjoying a lot: Camel, Gordian Knot, Van der Graaf Generator(crazy psychedelic prog with saxophones as a lead instrument) and Gentle Giant(only heard Octopus from GG though. Very cool symphonic prog with violins).

Sorry for the off-topic post again:p