Albums you still can't get into

At the Gates - ANything pre Terminal Spirit Disease
Darkthrone - Blaze in the Northern Sky <--Worst buy ever
Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies, Vortex ruined this band...Garm is god compared to him, he sucked in borknagar too : P...But back to this album..its so bad I can't even explain how much it disgusts me...Honestly vortex is decent but the music itself is boring...I tried and tried..But is kind of hard going against my all time favorite metal album...The SHam Mirrors.

First you say Vortex ruined the band, then you say he was fine and that the music is the culprit. So which is it?

which chasms have you heard?

Deathcult. i've given it several listens over the past few years and it really irritates me that i can't get anything out of it. There are a lot of interesting things going on, but i just find that the songs end up going nowhere. The problem isn't the production, it's the composition for me.

Definitely check out Conjuration of the Spectral Empire. The production has improved CONSIDERABLY, and while it's less complex, so to speak, but I find that Deathcult is not much complex as it is overblown and a big chunk of it is a mess due to the atrocious production, which irritates me greatly. It seems like I need to work extra to get something good out of it, so it's a tiresome listen.

Deathcult. i've given it several listens over the past few years and it really irritates me that i can't get anything out of it. There are a lot of interesting things going on, but i just find that the songs end up going nowhere. The problem isn't the production, it's the composition for me.

Seriously, Deathcult is overrated as hell. I am absolutely mystified as to why there is a giant circle-jerk over this album, and you're right - the songs build up to nothing, tedious out of tune guitars aimlessly treading water. Listen to Conjuration and their latest where the songs actually have momentum and a purpose.

There's a difference between hating a band and simply preferring other bands to it.

owlorry6oe.jpg

Me neither. I tried to like it, but it just didn't "click" with me, if you know what I mean. I like Celtic Frost's classic work a lot, but this doesn't resemble it in any way.

Indeed, it was lacking. I did not expect a return to their earlier sound nor wished for it. But I wished more raw, brooding emotion.

I think I would of liked it better if they didn't hyper polish it. For example, that "Ground" song demo was good but again they had smooth it over on Monotheist. "Synagoga Santanae" was the strongest but again it felt overpolished and streched, drowned out. Feels too digital and some of the emotion in it is lost. But subtracting the factor of production, I still felt it was lacking.

I think fans of cleaner doom/goth/industrial metal will find this to be their taste. Later My Dying Bride, Lacuna Coil or Darkwell come to mind.

Either way, it sucked. I like Celtic Frost up to and including To Mega Therion (but I guess Into the Pandemonium was decent).

Morbid Tales was class. So, is To Mega Therion and yet be quite experimental and genuine. Into the Pandemonium was lame, don't know why it is valued so highly.

I can't get into...

Cephalic Carnage
Alcest - Souvenirs d'un autre monde (I do like the Le Secret EP)
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
Nile (Save for maybe the first one)
Newer Behemoth
Blind Guardian
Burzum's last 2 albums
Dark Tranquility
Wintersun (I don't hate them, they're just talked about too much)
Kamelot
Spastik Ink
Therion - Vovin

I don't really hate any of these albums/bands, they just get talked about too fucking much. With Kamelot I have a 3-4 song max listening threshold, but I haven't heard their new album.