AS I LAY DYING

I think SAS sounds much better in the drum dept. than their first album. I think it was all 100% samples as well, but not nearly the polish you hear on the latest.

An another note, though...I've seen Tim Lambesis in liner notes as a producer on other stuff, most notably Sworn Enemy's latest CD...Did he "produce" Shadows as well and give Andy the recordings to mix and master?

I SAS sounds much better in the drum dept. than their first album. I think it was all 100% samples as well, but not nearly the polish you hear on the latest.

Could not agree more. The sound of the drums on FWC turned me away from the band as a whole.

Never heard this before, but I bought the album two days ago. The mix is... well, you guess it... very good (what else could we expect anyway) ! Got to watch the DVD though, but if there's no studio footage or whatever I'm not as much interested in it then, no hurry.

The mix on the album is good, but for some reason the rhythm guitars sound funky...Not in tone, but attack. It almost sounds like the players were hitting the strings with the side of the pick rather than the flat end edge, if that makes sense. There's no edgy attack, more of a "shwap" instead of a "thunk"...Wonder if this is the result of reamping or just they way they play? Maybe it's OK, just sounds wierd to me.

The mix on the album is good, but for some reason the rhythm guitars sound funky...Not in tone, but attack. It almost sounds like the players were hitting the strings with the side of the pick rather than the flat end edge, if that makes sense. There's no edgy attack, more of a "shwap" instead of a "thunk"...Wonder if this is the result of reamping or just they way they play? Maybe it's OK, just sounds wierd to me.

Weird, I've always loved that about this album, haha. Makes for a very cool sound IMO. Just sounds like the OD820 doing it's thing to me..

I love that sound too! Best thing about the guitars on the album I think. I never knew how to describe it! I'm trying to get a similer sound and the best of got so far did involve a OD820... :)

yea i noticed the same thing,
but it must be a good thing though as theyre playing so tight haha:loco:

Very very very crunchy guitars. Good shit.

BTW the kick on their previous album is the worst kick sample I've ever heard in my life

BTW the kick on their previous album is the worst kick sample I've ever heard in my life

It definitely took me some listening to finally get used to that "Frail Words Collapse" kick sound, and by no measure do I think it's great, but at least I can listen to that album without it irritating me. I don't know who mixed that CD or what metal recording experience they have, but I've always imagined the band being like "Make sure the kick is powerful and obvious in the mix", and the engineer fulfilling those wishes without really understanding how to make such a request sound good. I wonder if he was immediately happy with the sample he chose, or if it took some time to convince himself... :lol:

I think that this was one of the better mixed metal albums out there. Very impressive, and everything is very clear. One thing I would like to know is how the vocals were done. I noticed that the singer sounds different live, than the CD. By different, I mean his voice sounds deeper and the CD, it sounds like there is more of a edge to it. Its almost as if the live he growls from the back of his throat, and in the studio, there is more of a scream.