AS I LAY DYING

I Don't think they intentionally ripped them off, but the intro riff in "Nothing Left" does have a slight resemblance to the one riff in Metallica's "Blackened".

the "Nothing Left" riff isn't really crazy, in fact its actually kind of generic and basic....enough so that there are tons of bands you could say it sounds like. Have you ever played the riff from Nothing Left or the riff from Blackened? They are completely different.

Sorry I'm being a dick, I'll stop ranting now.

Now that you guys are talking about it the first thing I noticed was the resemblance between the intro and the Paradise Lost song Say Just Words :saint:

Disclaimer: I do love AILD, one of my favorite bands. No bashing, just curiosities :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Shadows are Security and An Ocean Between Us are probably two of the best CD mixes for my taste... the guitars sound HUGE on both

Weird, I've always loved that about this album, haha. Makes for a very cool sound IMO. Just sounds like the OD820 doing it's thing to me..

I won free tickets to The Sounds of the Underground tour they did and was allowed to meet them backstage for a moment, I wasnt going to (im no fanboy) but the beer started flowin and I was like "fuck it" so anyways, I got to talking with the dudes about Zao and Old living Sac and all that cool Solid State stuff and it turns out they LOVE the the Embodyment record "embrace the enternal" which is probably up there in the weirdest metal mix that somehow works category, the one guitar player dude and I had a pretty in depth convo about how awesomely weird the guitar tone was, so its possible that they were actually shooting for that, BTW if your into as AILD check out that Embodyment album, Its the only good one they ever made but its really fucking cool old school metalcore.

I just put this CD in for the first time. Ever. Got it from a friend and never gave it a listen. Damn, some very solid songwriting, and the guitars are definitely pretty damn nice sounding. I love the ring on the cymbals. Can't say I really dig the vocalist, and he's a bit loud, but that's just taste. I don't like hearing vocals I don't like. Strange, but I think Angela is usually loud, but I love listening to her...

I know Adam D Produced "An Ocean.." and Colin Richardson mixed it, but I heard a rumor that Andy did the re-amping? Can we confirm this?

I think if you read back this thread or do a search on the complete sneap forum it states that Andy re-amped the guitars through a Randall amp.
So yes, it's correct..

I did read the entire thread first, and there was nothing about it at all. So, since this is the As I Lay Dying thread on Andy's forum, I thought it best to ask that particular question here.

Just got this CD today after reading this topic.
Goddamnnn, what a mix!
Yeah I'm hearing the weirdness with the guitars. Kind of reminds me of Darkest Hour's last 2 albums. Not enough thickness there for my liking with the mix in general, but still, a damn tasty mix.

Shadows Are Security has probably my favourite mix of all time. Incredible job from Andy as always. But it's that kick sample. I NEED to get one like it. It's just the perfect kick sound, and when combined with chugs...I literally could sit around for hours listening to a really boring looped repetitive riff with that mix.

Shadows Are Security has probably my favourite mix of all time. Incredible job from Andy as always. But it's that kick sample. I NEED to get one like it. It's just the perfect kick sound, and when combined with chugs...I literally could sit around for hours listening to a really boring looped repetitive riff with that mix.

Try the Slate kick 5 50/50'd with the black kick as a starting point :)