MEGADETH

i have been listening to this album a lot the last week. and i must say it grows for each day, and production to. i love "sleepwalker". exellent first song!

but unfortunately the only good song on the album!
prodution is excellent i think (solo's r a bit loud tho) but other than sleepwalker i think the songs r really weak.
and dont get me started on a tout le monde!:puke:

can you guys hear that little plinky-plinky thing on 1:13, where dave says "there as a king"? sounds like a piano to me...
anyway, IMHO, good production (not great), and the songwriting could be way better, i liked the system has failed better... the solos are ok, too... i think i was expecting more after the last album. his voice sounds good though :)
and i hated the remake of a tout le monde, sounds cheezy too me... anyway, what's the european release date???? i gotta go buy it, read the lyrics and stuff..
and thank GOD (andy :p ) for not making this sound like arch enemy, geez... (if i got that right lol)

I must say i was real happy with the mix listening back the otherday. If I'd made it sound like Arch Enemy....which is kinda impossible cause it aint Arch Enemy, wouldn't everyone be complaining all my mixes sound the same....

It also makes me chuckle, cause no one else sees the big picture. Walking in on a Megadeth album, half done, having never met the guys before and getting the whole thing turned round and completed in 2 months, the pressure of deadlines, flying back and forth across the planet.

No, I gotta say, I think it's a good record, def the best he's put together since countdown.

You forgot the part about dealing with some *ahem* less-than-stellar tracking...

Anyway, I think it's got some great songs on it (as well as a few unremarkable ones), and their best mix ever. And add me to the camp that doesn't even remotely understand these "Doomsday Machine" comments.

I must say i was real happy with the mix listening back the otherday. If I'd made it sound like Arch Enemy....which is kinda impossible cause it aint Arch Enemy, wouldn't everyone be complaining all my mixes sound the same....

It also makes me chuckle, cause no one else sees the big picture. Walking in on a Megadeth album, half done, having never met the guys before and getting the whole thing turned round and completed in 2 months, the pressure of deadlines, flying back and forth across the planet.

No, I gotta say, I think it's a good record, def the best he's put together since countdown.

i totally forgot that you weren't there since the beggining... of course jumping on a project being half way half-done, and still getting good results at the end is worth mentioning on it's own... eternal hailz! :worship: :worship:

but unfortunately the only good song on the album!
prodution is excellent i think (solo's r a bit loud tho) but other than sleepwalker i think the songs r really weak.
and dont get me started on a tout le monde!:puke:

I thought the same thing on the first listen, but after a couple of spins and letting it sink in, it keeps getting better and better. I can't get enough of Washington is Next.

I'm also really digging the mix, sounds the way that Megadeth should sound so I also don't get the Arch Enemy comments.

UA kicks ass, the best since Megadeth album since Cryptic Writings I think. The only songs I could do without are Amerikhastan and A Tout Le Monde, but I know that second one is Roadrunner's doing. Sleepwalker, Washington is Next, the title track, and Burnt Ice all kick ass. Now that the new Megadeth is out of the way bring on the new Exodus!

I downloaded the album and didn't like it at first, but it is quickly growing on me, so it is on my "to buy" list for next week now.

I really like the sound on the album and it's interesting how gainy but "clean/round" the guitars sound. I A/B-ed it with the new Machine Head and the guitars on The Blackening sound much "fizzier" (still great).

"A Tout Le Monde" is kind of a double edged sword. I really like the beginning cause Dave's vocals sound better and have more "feeling" than in the original, but then Cristina ruins it for me. Her voice sound really effect laden in a weird Avril Lavigne-kind of way. Also I preferred the original tempo.

Andy, if you have time: did you double or quadtrack the guitars? And what effects did you use on Cristina's vocals? Sounds like heavy Autotune or Melodyne or some pitch correcting thingie ...

no i didnt go over board on the autotune, honest.
She is doubled if I remember right, and gtrs are just doubled.

You can't get overly gainy with this kinda stuff, the original tone they had going on was really undergained and dark and the Line 6 really lended itself to the DI's that were there for reamping.

no i didnt go over board on the autotune, honest.
She is doubled if I remember right, and gtrs are just doubled.

You can't get overly gainy with this kinda stuff, the original tone they had going on was really undergained and dark and the Line 6 really lended itself to the DI's that were there for reamping.

Thanks for the answer!

I still think the guitars sound very gainy, but not gainy at the same time. Definitely a cool and fitting sound.

Can't fault the production (very nice work Andy), but for me, there's just something lacking in the writing dept which has been the case since Countdown (even then I can't listen to Sweating Bullets).

That being said, it's most certainly not a bad album, it's just not (to my ears) of the same standard of which Rust and Peace Sells were. The dude's been lucky....he wrote 2 of the best metal albums ever, which is 2 more than most.

I guess once you've climbed the highest mountain, the only thing you can do is jump :D

Why can't people just forget older albums and always say..this isn't a 2nd rust in peace or a 2nd peace sells but.... I can't stand that anymore...
Offcourse this isn't a 2nd of an album like that, that would get boring!
I think this album is golden, it's superb..
Andy you did a great job!
I really love love love Rust in peace and love Peace Sells and the rest of their catalogue .... and this one is a MEGADETH album!!! And I love it...