TV On The Radio - Wolf Like Me
Roky Erickson - Night Of The Vampire
Garmarna - Varulven/The Werewolf
Dvořák - The Water Goblin
Hola Ghost - Chupacabra
Wishbone Ash - Persephone
Bert Jansch - Reynardine

The Deadfly Ensemble - Polymelia And The Satyr
Shub-Niggurath - J'ai Vu Naguère En Peinture Les Harpies Ravissant Le Repas De Phynée
Amebix - Fear Of God

Pagan Altar - The Erl King

Last edited:
Even if they aren't mythical in the traditional sense, there is a mythical Pokemon lore thing. More on topic than a couple of the others in this playlist, which seem to be about non-animal-like gods.

Reactions: CiG
Varulven is not the name of the band, but rather, the name of the song by the band Garmarna. The video is just titled a bit strangely.

Reactions: CiG
TV On the Radio, wow.

Not to be confused with Radio on the Internet.
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: unknown
Sweet, the list came out on my last day off so I'm going in...

Pokémon
-Theme Song
I don't believe in giving out 0's. We're off to a great stop. 1/10.

I actually really like the song but I think it's a weak pick for this theme. 5/10.

Vampires are too easy a target for this theme. I discovered this song a while back when I found out Hades Pluton by Sopor Aeternus uses the same music. Another great song but I must detract a little. 7/10.

There's some stuff to like in here. The music is really cool, just not a huge fan of those vox. Kinda reminds me of Faun. And once again a soft target. 5/10.

21 fucking minutes. Really? Really?? And to think I was excited about the first cool mythical creature appearance on this list. The music is good. Yes. But it's certainly not winning me over on this one. I was reading some of the Youtube comments about what it's about and it is a cool story. AND I listened to all of it. But still... 6/10.

Hola Ghost - Chupacabra
The Chupacabra! Now I can get excited. Alas, the song didn't have much to offer in terms of musical complexity or originality. 5/10.

Wishbone Ash - Persephone
Not feeling the Greek God choice for this theme. Especially since the lyrics don't really delve into the mythology and whatnot. Not a bad song tho. 5/10.

Bert Jansch - Reynardine
Never heard of the Reynardine before. Cool folky ballad. No idea what the hell he's saying but I'm assuming it's on theme. 7/10.

Gothic goodness. Kinda reminds me of Sopor Aeternus. Super eerie atmosphere, but again have no idea what the fuck is being said. And a Satyr is legit y'all. 8/10.

Shub-Niggurath
- J'ai Vu Naguère En Peinture Les Harpies Ravissant Le Repas De Phynée
What am I listening to? I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's on theme cuz it's purty awesome. Got a little too sloppy at the end there. 7/10.

Amebix
- Fear Of God
Kinda reminds me of Carnivore haha. I'll look into them more. But terribly off-topic. 3/10.

We can't escape Pagan Altar in the non-metal thread. Pretty standard folk fare here that's kinda fading into background music for me. And overlong. Epicness picks up in the end. 5/10.

This theme had a shitload more potential than this but that's what happens when you open with the fucking Pokemon theme song. Jeepers.

Oh hey pagan altar is apparently familiar with Schubert. That makes me mildly more interested in the band. Good to see someone admit they're non metal also.

Debatable, from what I've heard they're a blues based hard rock band. Real metal is not blues based. It's a big part of what made black sabbath's early metal songs so different from the other rock bands of the 70's.

What have you heard? But anyway, Pentagram are as blues based and they're undoubtedly metal.

I don't know how anybody could listen to this song for example and say, "nope not metal, too much blues" especially because there is very little blues, if any at all to be detected.

i do think they straddle the line quite a bit, but there's loads of metal moments in there. i struggle to give a shit about this stuff though, good music is good music.

Reactions: Caecius
Pokémon Theme Song

In fairness I can’t give it a perfect 10 since world apocalypse has not yet made Pokemon a matter of legend, but still. I genuinely love this song. 9/10.

Eh, not into this kind of indie shit. 4/10.

Not sure how I never heard this before, awesome stuff. Minus one point because vampires are really close to humans. 9/10.

Kinda cheesy like most neo-folk stuff, but it’s so over-produced and BIG sounding that it starts to sound cool again. Catchy. Apparently I wishlisted this album on RYM years ago but never got around to that. Pretty sure I know who submitted this one. 7/10.

I got a CD with one of his symphonies on it at Goodwill once, and didn’t like it (but my problem with actually listening to classical is that it takes a lot of work to know which performances are good or shit so eh). Not sure if I like this one that much more. Sounds too much like the kind of classical Disney would use for their movies, too theme-oriented and the change in dynamics feels too deliberate. Like apparently it’s a “symphonic poem” so maybe I have an inherent dislike for this style. Dunno, duncare. 3/10.

Hola Ghost – Chupacabra

What is this, Volbeat goes kitsch-Mexican? Horrible. 2/10.

Wishbone Ash – Persephone

Is this about a creature at all? It’s pleasant but not amazing or anything. 4/10.

Bert Jansch – Reynardine

Wanted to enjoy it, but just too mellow for my tasteless ass. One of the most on-theme picks so far though. 4/10.

Should gross me out like that last song about piss in whatever the fuck this genre is called, but for some reason I like this one. 7/10.

Shub-Niggurath - J'ai Vu Naguère En Peinture Les Harpies Ravissant Le Repas De Phynée

Love how noisy and cavernous it is, the bass distortion destroys most metal sonically speaking. 7/10.

Amebix - Fear Of God

This seems unambiguously off-topic for the game. Like, if you really want to shoehorn God as a beast into the game, at least pick a song where it’s about the beast itself and not a preachy punk thing about religious hypocrisy. It’s a good song though. 3/10.

Pleasant ballad, first time hearing it. Ten Twenty years of practice and he still can’t play a lead to save his life though. 6/10.