Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

I really love the 80s for some reason. I can even cope with the blatant gayness going on in that video, at least there are chicks.

Reactions: CiG
Bjork - Loving it. I was blown way byt his track. I have to delve into more of her material. 9.5/10

Frans Liszt - Nice one. Really pleasant sound. 7/10

Robin Trower - Great one. Climatic stuff. 8/10

Yes - Standard Yes track. Nothing spectacular but still interesting. 7.5/10

Sera Cahoone - Bland shit. Heard lots of similar songs. 3/10

Swans - Their best album, awesome track with beautiful lyrics. "How will they hold what they can never perceive. And how do they love what they fail to deceive" 10/10

Buena Vista Social Club - Great stuff. I'm actually enjoying this. 8/10

Townes van Zandt - Nice vocals and atmosphere but I'd really appreciate some variety here. 7.5/10

Punishment of Luxury - Chaotic and twisted. Partially interesting. 6.5/10

Lee Moses - I liked the voice of the singer. Very serene track. 7.5/10

Coil - Weird one. I can't find anything masterful here, alas. 4/10

R.L. Burnside - The intro resembles me ZZ Top's La Grange. The rest is not my cup of tea. 5/10

Savage Garden - Memories, but no. 3.5/10

Lisa Ekdahl - Forgettable, does nothing for me. 4.5/10

Leonard Cohen - Boring but I like the melody. 5/10

Seal - Some kind of nostalgia but I was pretty bored after all. Can't give it more than 4/10

Blue Cheer - Mehh, bumpy song 4.5/10

Despondent Visions - Nice instrumental, liked it. 7/10

I'm about halfway through my ratings but won't finish/post them until probably 6PM or so today, fwiw

Reactions: Omni
Will you declare a winner today? Seems we have a lot of ratings by now.

I will if @Onder will rate all of the songs instead of excluding one. ;)

I will wait for HBB and anyone else who said they were in the process too.

Which was just HBB. If anyone else wants to rate, they have until he is done to post them.

Last edited:
Bjork – Bachelorette – 7/10

I’ve listened to a bit of Bjork but never Homogenic. This was nice, but I guess a little too melodramatic/deliberate in its tension for my tastes. I generally try not to read comments before writing my own but skimming things to make sure I wasn’t too late or anything I saw Onder’s comment, and yeah I get a very similar vibe to Play Dead in that it just has that sound that makes it seem designed for a movie’s credits theme. I still liked it quite a bit though, definitely sounds great.

Frans Liszt - Liebestraum (Love Dream) No. 3 – 6/10

Pleasant but not something I have much of an ear for.

Robin Trower - In This Place – 6/10

Undecided between a 6 or a 7, went with the former. Have nothing against blues rock and it’s a good pick for the theme of course, but just doesn’t quite grab me.

Yes - I See You – 8/10

Never listened to the first Yes album either. I didn’t know they were so jazzy back then, although looking into it apparently this is a cover of the Byrds so I dunno. I’ll have to hear the original, but thought this was great. Love how it builds and all the energy, but it’s still got a wistful vibe to it.

Sera Cahoone - Baker Lake – 4/10

Eh, not that I’m any kind of experienced country listener, but this seemed just ok to me. Strum-a-strum, twang, and I don’t even really understand the lyrics; is it a song about fading love or not? Not sounding authentic to me, like they just threw a bunch of typical country love and heartbreak tropes together, but maybe I’m just too autistic and unloved to understand what this is actually about. I mean “Everyone’s saying the best is already gone / But I know what we got coming ‘round”; doesn’t that contradict all the stuff about shrugging away and yadayada? Or is this a song about bipolar people, some crazy couple with fickle emotions? I just don’t get it.

Swans - Miracle of Love – 7/10

Not big on most Swans post-Children of God that I’ve heard, but I’m enjoying this. I was expecting it to stay mellow the whole time but the faster second half was a surprise. Sometimes Gira & co can get a bit melodramatic for me but it’s fine here.

Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan – 8/10

I’ve heard my mom playing this album at least a couple times while cooking, definitely great stuff. Dunno exactly why I like it, just do.

Townes Van Zandt - Our Mother the Mountain – 8/10

Ever since I heard Silver Ships of Andilar I’ve been meaning to check him out more thoroughly, but never really got around to it. Really enjoyed this song, although I again get the impression I’m too autistic to understand it. Doesn’t seem to necessarily be about a woman, but the feeling of longing/remorse definitely comes across anyways.

Punishment of Luxury – Obsession – 9/10

It’s really uneasy sounding in exactly the way I like, and I love how it tells a constant story in a theatrical kind of way. I’m definitely autistic enough to relate to this song (a tiny bit).

Lee Moses - Bad Girl – 8/10

For all the soul my mom listens to I’m surprised I’ve never heard this one before. Guy has a great voice,

Coil - Tattooed Man – 6/10

Another “I don’t get it” but sound-wise it’s neat. Always avoided Coil tbh.

R.L. Burnside - Someday Baby – 1/10

Sorry, I hate this. Apparently this guy is old school legit but the production and kinda-rapped parts just sound so wrong to me. I could imagine this playing on one of those channels where they do a dance mix of Old McDonald Had a Farm with brightly flashing CGI animals spinning around. Incredibly obnoxious, I can’t even pay attention to the lyrics.

Savage Garden - Truly Madly Deeply – 8/10

This was one of my jams back in 2nd grade, fuck the haters. Great memories of carpooling with Mrs. Stauffer.

Lisa Ekdahl - Love for Sale – 7/10

A little cliché but also very cute so that wins points for me.

Leonard Cohen - Dance Me to the End of Love – 4/10

I thought I heard Leonard Cohen before but I don’t recognize this voice so I guess I never had. Dunno, didn’t like this though, seemed to drag.

Seal - Kiss from a Rose – 6/10

Another nostalgic classic. Not Truly Madly Deeply-tier but still solid. like this post if ur a 90s kid ;)))

Blue Cheer - The Hunter – 3/10

Wanted to like it, but it’s really rudimentary and kind of embarrassing. Bonus points for being loud.

Despondent Visions - To My Love – 5/10

I like its placement in the playlist, like if that Bjork track was the opening theme of a movie then this is the backing track track of some sappy romance anime based on a visual novel or some shit. The song itself, ok, not much more to say.