Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

Bjork - Bachelorette - 8/10
Admittedly, I haven't listened to much Bjork, but I'm really digging this.

Frans Liszt - Liebestraum (Love Dream) No. 3 - 7/10
This is love(ly)

Robin Trower - In This Place - 6/10
Trippy video. Sounds like a 70s love shack get yo freak on song

Yes - I See You - 8.5/10
I love Yes. A bunch of god damned talented musicians.

Sera Cahoone - Baker Lake - 4/10
This is brand new to me. Never heard of 'em. Not bad for country but not my cup of tea

Swans - Miracle of Love* - 8.5/10
Someone beat me to the Swans punch. I was going to submit "Love of Life". Still great though

Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan - 8/10
Love it. Chill Cuban music.

Townes Van Zandt - Our Mother the Mountain - 9/10
I know the list is gonna get gay soon but goddamn this is a good list. Gimme a campfire and whiskey

Punishment of Luxury - Obsession - 7.5/10
Another total new one for me. This sounds like shit I would listen to. Off the wall. I'm diggin it

Lee Moses - Bad Girl - 7.5/10
Yet another new one for me. Funky old school goodness. I'm diggin it

Coil - Tattooed Man - 8.5/10
The earlier review of this being like walking down a foggy Parisian street and being about the "bad" love nailed it

R.L. Burnside - Someday Baby - 5/10
Started off cool, but I'd rather have it without the beat

Savage Garden - Truly Madly Deeply - 0.5/10
Oh god. The flashbacks. I'm fairly certain this was played at my middle school prom

Lisa Ekdahl - Love for Sale - 7/10
Jazzy and tasty. This is classy shit

Leonard Cohen - Dance Me to the End of Love - 7/10
Leonard Cohen always cracks me up. He's like a Jewish Tom Waits with maybe a bit more hope

Seal - Kiss from a Rose - 0.5/10
Oh god. The Batsuit nipples

Blue Cheer - The Hunter 6.5/10
Old school rock

Despondent Visions - To My Love - 4/10
Synth overload. Ehh...kind of a disappointing closer. Seal would've been a better closer just for the comedic value

Keeping my reviews short since there is eighteen fucking songs LOL.

Bjork - Bachelorette - 6/10

I enjoy the atmosphere of the song. Kind of dark for a love song.

Frans Liszt - Liebestraum (Love Dream) No. 3 - 6/10

Has a kind of fluttery quality of it that helps it adhere to the theme. Plus its always nice to hear classical/piano music I haven't heard before. Will take more listens to fully absorb.

Robin Trower - In This Place - 7.5/10

I really enjoy arpeggiated sections in songs, and this song is pretty much built on arpeggios. Those really bluesy leads also, damn...

Yes - I See You - 5/10

I'm torn. I hate the main riff and the chorus, but I adore the jazzy section that comes up around 2:40.

Sera Cahoone - Baker Lake - 7.5/10

Hate the slide guitar but like everything else about the song.

Swans - Miracle of Love - 8/10

Swans. Nough said.

Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan - 7/10

I really enjoy the guitar work here. Bit dancy for my liking, but the guitar is dandy.

Townes Van Zandt - Our Mother the Mountain - 9/10

Fuck this is manly. I get such a rough vibe from this, it is delightful.

Punishment of Luxury - Obsession - 3/10

Wat. Sorry to whoever picked this, but I don't get it lmao.

Lee Moses - Bad Girl - 4/10

I just can't get past those vocals. Never could enjoy vocals like that tbh.

Coil - Tattooed Man - 6/10

Very dark and atmospheric in sound. Not big on the accordion but still a solid track.

R.L. Burnside - Someday Baby - 4/10

The song is too rhythm-based for me. It was obviously made around that beat and while I dig the bluesy instrumentation that beat/tempo irks me. Sorry lol.

Savage Garden - Truly Madly Deeply - 1/10

Nope.

Lisa Ekdahl - Love for Sale - 6/10

Nice instrumentation, but the vocals annoy me and I don't know why. Would've preferred this as an instrumental but meh.

Leonard Cohen - Dance Me to the End of Love - 3/10

Never did enjoy this song. Oops lol.

Seal - Kiss from a Rose - 5/10

Points for nostalgia from hearing people belt it out at karaoke drunk as fuck, totally out of their minds. In all honesty it isn't that bad of a pop song.

Blue Cheer - The Hunter - 8/10

Not the best Blue Cheer song but still one of the high points of the playlist.

Despondent Visions - To My Love - 6/10

The mixing is atrocious but aside from that I think it's nice.

Bjork - Bachelorette
Great track. I'm not a huge Bjork fan but I own Post and love the track Isobel, and this reminds me of it. 8/10

Frans Liszt - Liebestraum (Love Dream) No. 3

I really haven't explored classical music much at all, but this is a bit 'pretty' for me. Fits the theme like a glove though, so points for that. 7.5/10

Robin Trower - In This Place

I almost fell asleep. Did nothing for me at all. 3/10

Yes - I See You

Take away the unnecessary self indulgent solo wankery in the middle and this is pretty great. I think I've only heard Owner Of A Lonely Heart from this band and this is much better. 7.5/10

Sera Cahoone - Baker Lake

Nice enough but pretty boring and certainly nothing I'd seek out. Really does sound like something out of a teen drama as Slayed Necros said. At this point I'm hoping for some more pleasant surprises on this list. 5.5/10

Swans - Miracle of Love*

Liking the mood on this one. I haven't explored Swans at all but have been told by many people that I should. This is cool. 8/10

Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan
I
've definitely heard this before. Probably while eating in a Mexican restaurant. Reminds me of Mexican food. So points for that. 6.5/10

Townes Van Zandt - Our Mother the Mountain

I'd play this as I was riding my horse o'er yonder to rescue my beau from the hands of a scoundrel. 7/10

Punishment of Luxury - Obsession

Totally out there and awesome and I've never heard of them and the whole thing was worth it just for this. 9/10

Lee Moses - Bad Girl

HUGE soul voice. Why have I never heard this guy before? 9/10

Coil - Tattooed Man

I'm bored. This is boring. 4/10

R.L. Burnside - Someday Baby

Is this nu-blues? I don't mind it. 6/10

Savage Garden - Truly Madly Deeply

Hahahaha oh shit. Feeling pretty patriotic right now. 1/10

Lisa Ekdahl - Love for Sale

Possibly because it's after Savage Gayden, but I'm liking this quite a lot. 6.5/10

Leonard Cohen - Dance Me to the End of Love

I hate Leonard Coen. 3/10

Seal - Kiss from a Rose

There was a time a long long time ago when I thought Crazy was a pretty cool track in a sort of nineties over-produced way, like, I wouldn't run screaming from the room if it came on the radio. This song however is like someone screwed up all the most cheesy romantic comedies and saccharine-sweet teen dramas into a dripping ball of tears and flowers and pink things and bludgeoned you to a bloody pulp with them. It hurts. 1/10

Blue Cheer - The Hunter

I had no idea this wasn't a Danzig song. I'm so familiar with the cover that I'm having a hard time with this. It's winning me over though. 7/10

Despondent Visions - To My Love

Too gothic synthy for my liking. Yawn. 3/10

I saw this thread while lurking but didn't get a submission in in time unfortunately. This would have been it:

Bjork - Bachelorette
Björk Guðmundsdóttir is amazing. Crazy, out of her mind, but amazing. This should probably just win, fuck the rest. Maybe. 9/10.

Beautiful piece, I think I'm actually familiar with the original composition. I'm not very experienced with this kind of music but it's not so different from soundtrack compositions, I can really appreciate this. 9/10.

Schmaltzy. How can you go wrong? I love this moody stuff. 8/10.

Yes - I See You

This totally reminds me of an Austin Powers pillow fight/striptease/sex scene montage. Brilliant and cheesy. I love Yes! 8/10.

This is nice. It may suffer from that quality of being forgettable, the singer sounds like every other modern lo-fi indie country folk singer-songwriter but I could see this song being a heartacher if you listened to it in a low moment. 7/10.

Swans - Miracle of Love*

"The young man is weakness in a lover's disguise.
The woman is strong in her warm-bitter lies."

This song instantly made me regret not submitting a Nick Cave song. This is greatness. 9/10.

I would totally dance with a mamacita to this. 7/10.

"She silently slips from her throat a medallion.
Slowly she twirls it.
In front of my eyes."

Cold shivers man.
All things considered, this is my favourite track in the list. I have this LP and this is my favourite song from the LP. Mind-blowing choice. At a loss for words. 10/10.

This is a new one. I have decided I must get this. This is one of those "love" songs that are really seemingly about stalking and weirdness. 8/10.

Lee Moses - Bad Girl

Lee Moses! This is fucking passion, kids. 9/10.

Coil - Tattooed Man

This has a really creepy vibe, well it is Coil. I don't know how to feel about it, except that this very much feels like a sad kind of love. 6/10.

Olde black meets new black, something about it throws me off, probably because I'm both a blues elitist and a hip hop elitist. Still, not many women could resist this kind of dirty, gutsy, balls-out love. Hahaha. 6/10.

This was 4 minutes and 45 seconds of hell. Haha. No, this is actually a fun song and reminds me of being a teen again and dealing with awkward crushes and sexual tension that finally explodes at a drunken teen party. Fuck you for triggering weird nostalgia inside of me. 5/10.

....... I'm now in love with Lisa Ekdahl. People really don't mess around in here. Easily one of the playlist highlights. I love the energetic pace, it really suits her voice and makes it believable, like she's singing this as she looks across the club room to her man at the dimly lit table in the back. 10/10.

Leonard Cohen is the essential lover's artist, duets only elevate this fact into the heavens. 10/10.

Seal - Kiss from a Rose

Hahahaha. Easily one of the most faux-dramatic love songs of all time, but such a staple that you can't pass it up. Seal has a great voice, you can't even front. 6/10.

Blue Cheer - The Hunter

This was a "meh" choice, I see that now. I adore Blue Cheer but it's one of the weak links. PS: this album is better than the debut, controversial to some I know. Also the original version of this song is better. 6/10.

The perfect outro. This sounds kind of sad, like chasing Audrey Tautou through the snow... 7/10.

Damn, I gave so many high ratings. I really liked this playlist though, so many great choices, even the weaker choices were fun. I loved the theme so much and I'm kicking myself for being a dickhead and not choosing something better. Ugh.

I'm not going to try to give everything a comment if I don't have anything interesting to say, considering that I also have the metal playlist to review as well.

Bjork - Bachelorette
8/10

Liszt - Liebestraum
7/10
It feels like I've heard this before, and I may well have, having some familiarity with Liszt. It fluctuates into minor key enough to be bittersweet. I feel like I would be more into it if it were a piano concerto rather than a solo piano piece.

7/10

Yes - I see you
6.5/10

4.5/10
Her sister Kal Cahoone is better.

Swans - Miracle of Love
8.5/10
I'm already somewhat familiar with Swans, this album included, so this was a pretty good choice, although "Love Will Save You" off the same album would've also worked.

7.5/10

Townes Van Zandt - Our Mother The Mountain
8/10
Good miserable country, the way it should be.

8/10
I like the creepy obsessive love angle this takes. It reminds me a bit of Bauhaus.

Lee Moses - Bad Girl
4.5/10

Coil - Tattoed Man
8/10
Very noir, dreary accordion melody. It stretches on a tad too long.

6/10

2/10
Saccharine rubbish.

Lisa Ekdahl - Love For Sale
5.5/10
Somewhat meandering, doesn't really move me one way or another.

9/10
Hauntingly beautiful, it works just as well as a love song as it does as an allegory about the Holocaust. I don't like everything Leonard Cohen has done, but when he's good, he's great.

Seal - Kiss from a Rose
3.5/10
Rather cloying, but the melody itself is not abhorrent. But it really just reminds me that I'd much rather hear "Face to Face" by Siouxsie and the Banshees from the Batman Returns soundtrack instead.

Blue Cheer - The Hunter
6.5/10

7/10
It would work well as a album closer, so I suppose it's rather apropos that it concludes this playlist.

I'm rating this playlist before the metal one. The metal one looks so good that I feel if I rated it before this, then I might rate some of the songs here lower.

Bjork - Bachelorette 8.5/10

Beautiful, one of my favourite Bjork songs. The lyrics are great and Bjork's voice is in full force here. I also don't see what is so weird about this song?

Frans Liszt - Liebestraum (Love Dream) No. 3 8/10

I can appreciate this sort of thing. This is just lovely.

Robin Trower - In This Place 7/10

This is not something that I'd usually listen to, but I ended up quite enjoying this. A nice, chilled out track.

Yes - I See You 4/10

I've never been into Yes, and this isn't changing my mind. This song doesn't make any sense to me.

Sera Cahoone - Baker Lake 6.5/10

This sounds far too standard to be anyone's favourite. I definitely don't hate it but I don't find it to be particularly exciting either.

Swans - Miracle of Love* 8.5/10

I really love "Power and Sacrifice" from this album. The short version of this song I listened to didn't give me quite the same feels, but this is still pretty great. I want to hear the proper version now.

Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan 6/10

I actually quite like the music here, I find it relaxing and rather pleasing. I don't like the vocals, though.

Townes Van Zandt - Our Mother the Mountain 8.5/10

This is an emotional piece that I really enjoyed. These vocals and lyrics are haunting. I liked this a lot.

Punishment of Luxury - Obsession 7.5/10

This is twisted, I actually like it. I favour some parts of it over others or else I'd be rating this higher. This is one of the more interesting picks.

Lee Moses - Bad Girl 7.5/10

Not sure what I'm missing here. Sometimes I feel like I really like this and other times I feel it's just pretty good. Went with a 7.5 to reflect this.

Coil - Tattooed Man 8/10

This is rather bizarre and creepy, but I like it. Definitely one of the most interesting tracks on this list. It actually made me feel something, which a lot of these songs haven't. I think it is too long for what it's doing but that's my only real criticism.

R.L. Burnside - Someday Baby 4.5/10

I don't like the vocal delivery in this and it's a bit bouncy for my tastes.

Savage Garden - Truly Madly Deeply 2/10

This should have been "To the Moon and Back", it's still shit but it's better than this. I can't stand shit like this that tries to be all sentimental. This video is also embarrassing.

Lisa Ekdahl - Love for Sale 5/10

This seem far too standard to me, but I kinda like the instrumentation in it.

Leonard Cohen - Dance Me to the End of Love 4/10

This is boring and I don't feel anything from it.

Seal - Kiss from a Rose 3/10

It's better than "Truly Madly Deeply" so I gave it 1 more point. The part at like 3 minutes is really annoying.

Blue Cheer - The Hunter 6/10

I like the production on this more than anything else about it really.

Despondent Visions - To My Love 6/10

This actually hurt my ears at times, but I kinda like the piano melody.

I feel that I'm much more harsh in my metal ratings. Since I'm so much more familiar with it then I'd give a totally generic song a 4 or 5, but here I'm a bit more lenient. Not bad overall, some really interesting picks here.

Last edited:
Bjork - Bachelorette
categorically the wrong bjork song in my opinion, single version of 'all is full of love' is both better and more fitting than anything on HOMOGENIC, as are half a dozen songs on VESPERTINE. this album is pretty heavy-handed and overrated in general, but i do still like this song rather a lot. i remember falconsbane talking it up around here like ten years ago lol. super sexy lyrics, makes me think of IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE which is a good thing. 7/10

Bitch, how dare you. There's nothing 'heavy-handed' about "Hunter", "Unravel" and "Bachelorette".
In all seriousness though, my first submission was "Pagan Poetry" and I did think of "All is Full of Love", but I decided to change it because I thought this one would be better received by those unfamiliar with Bjork. It's also one of my favourites of hers and I like the lyrics.

CIG already revealed his choice and we have enough ratings now where it doesn't matter that I've said what I picked.

Nah, that was definitely Baroque. Aug is totally our king of the gays. I thought about going classical, but though otherwise. And shame on UM for not picking an Elliott Smith song. I thought "Say Yes" was such a shoe in that I didn't spend my pick on it. Oh well.

Reactions: Baroque
Nah, that was definitely Baroque. Aug is totally our king of the gays. I thought about going classical, but though otherwise. And shame on UM for not picking an Elliott Smith song. I thought "Say Yes" was such a shoe in that I didn't spend my pick on it. Oh well.

The funny part here is that arg did not play this. I'm excited to reveal the people who picked the gay songs after the ratings are done. One of them was a serious entry.

I have no idea who will win. I always know who's going to win the metal version.

Bjork - Bachelorette
It's like a Bond theme. I can almost see the cinematic colorful intro on a large screen in front of me. I bet there was a lot of explosions before the intro and now I can't wait for how the story enrolls. Was this ever in a Bond movie? It had to. 6.5/10

Last time I listened to Liszt was his piano transcription of Beethoven 9, the one for one piano only. This song is classic Liszt. Romance drips from it like fat from a heated bratwurst. Apparently Kissin's interpretation is "erotic". 6.5/10

I dislike most rock ballads in general. This is just boring I think. 3/10.

Yes - I See You

Our music teacher in high school made us listen to Roundabout and talked about how the first sound is a reversed sound of a piano. I liked the song ever since then. This is an okay song too and my favorite so far. 7/10.

This is probably a Mort pick he loves shit like this. It feels like stuff for americans to be able to say they listen to country and that it's actually pretty cool you know listen to this. Well I have. Btw Mort if you chose something by Rilo Kiley you would have nostalgia'd moi. 5/10.

Swans - Miracle of Love*

I know 0 Swans songs so I suppose it would be time. Unfortunately the video is not available in my country. God's way of saying no Ondra never listen to Swans EVER. Don't try to send me the song I don't want no lightning or storm up in this faggot.

I have strange memories of these salsa songs. I used to have this side job of listening to live recordings of bands playing this kinda shit and I had to find what songs they play. The recordings were really crappy so it was a hard job but most of the songs they played were by Buena Vista Social Club. I don't mind this music though. 7/10.

Yeah I kinda like these tough guy tragic folk ballads. 8/10.

This is okay I like the sound. 7/10.

Lee Moses - Bad Girl

This guy's obviously black and stuff. Slightly more tolerable than modern day R n B or whatever they call it. Not my favorite genre no sir. 4/10.

Coil - Tattooed Man

The first time I'm listening to this band. I've heard the name many times. This is very interesting. 8/10.

Okayish. 6/10.

I appreciate the lyric video. Somehow Savage Garden was never popular in here. I suppose this is 90's? We had other stuff like this though. 1/10.

I won't lie, I submitted this. First of all, it's one of my favorite jazz standards. And then, Lisa Ekdahl is cute, sometimes she's so cute it's annoying, it's the whispery voice. She's also a good singer. And the recordings always sound so clear. 9/10.

I like Cohen, especially the first album. 7/10.

Seal - Kiss from a Rose

This plays on the radio right? I know this song. 3/10.

Blue Cheer - The Hunter

Sounds old. 5/10.

4/10.

@Onder

Was the alternate video for Swans that was linked in the same post as the playlist also unavailable?