David Thomas - Semaphore
Jamin Winans - Recognize
Wipers - What Is
The Who - I Can't Explain
Gentle Giant - I Lost My Head
Buzzcocks - I Don't Know What to Do With My Life
Tim Buckley - Hallucinations
Bob Dylan - Ballad of a Thin Man

shame the (imo superior) studio version of that dylan song still isn't on youtube. i wanted to submit it for the surrealism round. works just as well here though.

Broadcast - According to No Plan
Interesting and dreamy enough but I wanted it to do more. 6.5/10

Split Enz - One Step Ahead

Perfect early eighties pop/rock. I wish there was more music like this now. 10/10

John WIlliams - Usher Waltz

I'm definitely confused and this is fucking incredible. 10/10

Pixies - Where Is My Mind

Classic and awesome and perfectly on theme. 10/10

David Thomas - Semaphore

Talking Heads meets John Zorn or something and it's pretty good 8/10

Jamin Winans - Recognize
Nice but I haven't seen the movie so I have no idea if it fits the theme 5/10

Wipers - What Is
Pretty average old school punk. 4/10

The Who - I Can't Explain

Early Who rules 8/10

Gentle Giant - I Lost My Head

Horrible. Just really fucking horrible British 70's prog nonsense. The 3 minute intro made me want to saw my own head off with a blunt chainsaw but then thankfully it ended and I was all of a sudden full of hope for some good things.. but nope. 2/10

Buzzcocks - I Don't Know What to Do With My Life
Proper good old school punk 7.5/10

Tim Buckley - Hallucinations

He's no Jeff but this was pretty ok 6/10

Bob Dylan - Ballad of a Thin Man

Not usually a Dylan fan but this was good 7.5/10

Pretty damn interesting and enjoyable list for the most part, cheers

Broadcast - According to No Plan 6/10
Pretty and atmospheric. I was just watching Star Trek, but for some reason it was reminding me of it. I like the take on the theme too. Sorta lullaby-ish.

Split Enz - One Step Ahead 6.5/10
Ha, I think this is like the third time that I remember this band popped up on this playlist. I liked their songs chosen so far, maybe I'll explore them more. Pretty groovy and nice, but didn't wow me.

John Williams- Usher Waltz 7.5/10
This is really cool. He's a really talented guitarist obviously, but I don't get confusing with this. Are waltzes suppose to be confusing?

Pixies - Where Is My Mind? 8/10
Ha, I thought someone would pick this. I like this song and the chorus is really interesting to me. I like the offbeatness to it.

David Thomas - Sempahone 7/10
Hmm, weird. Not sure what to think yet. Definitely confusing. Really cool things he's doing with sound.

Ink the Complete Soundtrack - Recognize 7/10
I like the atmosphere in this again.

Wipers - What Is 2/10
I don't like the vocals at all. The chorus is pretty annoying, he says one thing throughout the entire song. The music is pretty generic.

The Who - I Can't Explain 8/10
I don't know too much from this band. So, I'm excited to hear them. I don't know that many "classic" rock bands tbh. This is really awesome. I like it a lot. Maybe I'll get a Who album.

Gentle Giants - I Lost My Head 5/10
The vocals at first reminds me of that band that Spongebob Squarepants plays a lot... I forgot them. Let me google. The vocals sounds like him. Bah, I can't find it. It completely changes towards the end. For the better but still quite weird.

Buzzcocks - I Don't Know What to Do With My Life 4/10
Eh, this is sorta boring.

Tim Buckley - Hallucinations 9/10
I'm typically turned off by American country stuff, but I love this. So odd sounding, so ethereal and meaningful. I feel like a damn cowboy listening to this... like a mystical cowboy. and I really love his voice. I get it guys, what it feels like to be a cowboy, and I'm totally into it.

Bob Dylan - Ballad of a Thin Man 7/10
Another classic rock guy, i don't know well. This is okay, so far. Bluesy rock. Pretty cool.

I enjoyed this playlist. I gotta do these more. Maybe get back to the metal playlist too.

Broadcast - According To No Plan 6/10
Feels like something I should like, or usually would but for my current mood and it not matching very much. :/ Dragggggging. I will revisit this at a more appropriate time, for sure.

Split Enz - One Step Ahead 5.5/10

Never been a big fan, it's okay. Just never got the fandom around this band. Some cool atmospherics going on here though.

John WIlliams - Usher Waltz 5/10

Felt pointless to me, I dunno maybe I'm again just not in my right mind.

Pixies - Where Is My Mind 8/10

Finally something I can really get behind. Thematic as shit and a childhood favourite of mine. <3

David Thomas - Semaphore 8.5/10

This is utterly spastic potato rock and I love it. David is a legend. He should have collaborated with DEVO.

Jamin Winans - Recognize 5.5

Beautiful and haunting composition, but the only confusion I get from this is how does this depict confusion? I'm confused.

Wipers - What Is 7/10

Hey this is too hot, ya dig? I dig. That guitar work is getting me in a good way.

The Who - I Can't Explain 7/10

Cool track from their earliest period, the b-side was better though. They always used backing vocals in a way I liked.

Gentle Giant - I Lost My Head 8.5/10

One of the only well-known progressive bands back then really pushing the boundaries of palatable sound, while still managing to find some success. Great band and lovely sound, huge fan. In many ways it almost sounds like they're trying to repel their fans.

Buzzcocks - I Don't Know What To Do With My Life 7.5/10

The original emo punk band, always been a fan though I think Magazine are infinitely better, still this band got me through some shit, plus pop sensibilities often just feel right.

Tim Buckley - Hallucinations 10/10

Spectacular album and this country-tinged folk track is probably it's crowning jewel. Spaghetti western meets late 1960's drug culture. El Topo musicale. Perfection.

Bob Dylan - Ballad Of A Thin Man 9.5/10

Awesome version, I've never heard it before. Instantly an improvement upon the 1965 studio version if you ask me, wow it's just haunting and full of life, that's coming from a guy that genuinely loves the album it's from.

This playlist ruled, good job cunts.

Broadcast - According to No Plan 6/10
Pretty and atmospheric. I was just watching Star Trek, but for some reason it was reminding me of it. I like the take on the theme too. Sorta lullaby-ish.

Split Enz - One Step Ahead 6.5/10
Ha, I think this is like the third time that I remember this band popped up on this playlist. I liked their songs chosen so far, maybe I'll explore them more. Pretty groovy and nice, but didn't wow me.

John Williams- Usher Waltz 7.5/10
This is really cool. He's a really talented guitarist obviously, but I don't get confusing with this. Are waltzes suppose to be confusing?

Pixies - Where Is My Mind? 8/10
Ha, I thought someone would pick this. I like this song and the chorus is really interesting to me. I like the offbeatness to it.

David Thomas - Sempahone 7/10
Hmm, weird. Not sure what to think yet. Definitely confusing. Really cool things he's doing with sound.

Ink the Complete Soundtrack - Recognize 7/10
I like the atmosphere in this again.

Wipers - What Is 2/10
I don't like the vocals at all. The chorus is pretty annoying, he says one thing throughout the entire song. The music is pretty generic.

The Who - I Can't Explain 8/10
I don't know too much from this band. So, I'm excited to hear them. I don't know that many "classic" rock bands tbh. This is really awesome. I like it a lot. Maybe I'll get a Who album.

Gentle Giants - I Lost My Head 5/10
The vocals at first reminds me of that band that Spongebob Squarepants plays a lot... I forgot them. Let me google. The vocals sounds like him. Bah, I can't find it. It completely changes towards the end. For the better but still quite weird.

Buzzcocks - I Don't Know What to Do With My Life 4/10
Eh, this is sorta boring.

Tim Buckley - Hallucinations 9/10
I'm typically turned off by American country stuff, but I love this. So odd sounding, so ethereal and meaningful. I feel like a damn cowboy listening to this... like a mystical cowboy. and I really love his voice. I get it guys, what it feels like to be a cowboy, and I'm totally into it.

Bob Dylan - Ballad of a Thin Man 7/10
Another classic rock guy, i don't know well. This is okay, so far. Bluesy rock. Pretty cool.

I enjoyed this playlist. I gotta do these more. Maybe get back to the metal playlist too.

Well everyone already knows what I picked so: Usher Waltz is about The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allen Poe. In the story the twin brother has a slowly developing madness which causes him to be disconnected from reality. In his confusion he believes his sleeping sister is actually dead and he buries her alive. He hears sounds from her grave which makes him even more paranoid and he convinces himself it's just part of his madness. She eventually claws her way out, bloodied, and kills her brother.

Also many non traditional harmonies are present in the piece which creates a confusing tonality for a classical music listener.