Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

Hurrah!

Broadcast - There's nothing specifically exceptional about this track. Not the music itself or how it fuses the various instruments or the vocal.
But it works in that simple nothing kind of way. It passes and you think 'what was that' l like it 7/10

Split Enz - One of those perfect little pop songs that defy a time frame. This is pop bliss to my ears. A band that just didn't stay together for long enough, l like to think they would be bigger that U2 if they didn't split. And i've never been really keen on Neil Finn as a solo performer. 8.5/10

John Williams - l have several of John William's vinyls and have been a huge admirer for a long time. My only grip with his style is that he's a student of Segovia and i've always believed that that schooling restricted his playing. It just seemed to kind of paralyze his talent to a certain....l don't know..stodginess. l don't really hear his fire. 6/10

Pixies - Another perfect little pop song. l have a really old pixies t-shirt with the halo on the monkey, and i've been telling myself for forever that i'm going to sit down and listen to this band one day...but that's never happened. l don't know if l ever will. This tune is charmful and seductive in one way, except l just don't need it. 6/10

David Thomas - Talking Heads wannabes? There's nothing really wrong with this except that the songwriter(s) isn't that great. i'm not sure how old this is but..maybe someday? 5/10

Ink - Not even heard of the film but this is great. Very short and that probably makes it better. 7/10

Wipers - Wow l remember this song from years and years ago. Great choice, glad to hear it again. This is the sort of rock my older brother was going through when l did not have a real opinion on music. He convinced me to buy him tapes of The Cure, The Pogues and U2.
Wanker 7/10

The Who - My fucking heater just fell over and smashed my glass of wine..lucky l didn't get cut ..very annoyed..on another note, one of The Who's better songs imo, i'm not what you'd call a huge fan, but l admire their stamina. Take it or leave it for me. 6/10

Gentle Giant - What a band! These guys were monsters in the truest sense - virtuosos but knew how to let the music breath. They released album after album of just..fresh.interesting stuff like little others of the day. For fans of Brand-X, PFM, Mahavishnu Orchestra etc 10/10

Buzzcocks - Yeah man, feel good pop with a punkish edge that shout's 'Pay Attention To Me' ...that's what all these riffs were about wasn't it? 7/10

Tim Buckley - l must explore more as this is very morish, kind of like my wine now i've fixed the heater. Love the geetar. l wish his voice wasn't so bloody wimpy tho, it would be interesting to hear him howl a bit. 6.5/10

Bob Dylan - Obviously a great catchy tune, played with sass and swagger and that nasal drone we all seem to love to some degree. It took me a long time to really, and l mean really, admire Dylan, but i'm glad l took the time because, the man is the man.
8/10

Cool list dude's! Cheers!

tumblr_inline_o3gzzqEQyb1ri065t_500.gif

End of the semester is coming up. I'll try and listen to the playlist Wednesday evening, and the metal one a bit later.

Broadcast - According to No Plan

Per RYM this band is fairly well known but somehow I’ve never heard of them. Somehow this sounds absolutely perfect. 10/10.

Split Enz - One Step Ahead

I’ve said I’ve planned on checking them out over and over and I never get around to it. The synth line a minute in seals it, I WILL listen to this album this weekend. Except apparently this is from a single and not an album? Wait, LastFM tells me I listened to Second Thoughts in July, so I’m good. 8.5/10.

John WIlliams - Usher Waltz

I love thematic instrumental choices. Maybe a little too much by the last minute but mostly very cool and interesting. 8/10.

Pixies - Where Is My Mind

Classic song. 8/10.

David Thomas – Semaphore

A bit obnoxious but still good. 7/10.

Jamin Winans – Recognize

I’ve never seen this movie, but this sounds like something from a scene of focused, sad retrospection. It was pleasant for background stuffs though. 3/10.

Wipers - What Is
Good stuff. 7/10.

The Who - I Can't Explain

I didn’t know The Who were this boy band-y early on. Kinda enjoyable. 5/10.

Gentle Giant - I Lost My Head

I haven’t listened to Interview, for a long time I assumed it was literally just an interview album, then when I learned it wasn’t I still never got around to it. This was good but definitely more repetitive than the earlier stuff I’m familiar with. I’ll give it an 8/10 anyways because Gentle Giant is the best prog out there.

Buzzcocks - I Don't Know What to Do With My Life

iirc someone posted a really good Buzzcocks song earlier. This one was just ok. 5/10.

Tim Buckley – Hallucinations

I’ve probably listened to a couple Tim Buckley songs but mostly just his son. This was amazing, a lot more complicated/elaborate than what I remember, almost sounds like Peter Hammill’s solo stuff. 9/10.

Bob Dylan - Ballad of a Thin Man

Can’t stand him. Is his voice always this dumb? I don’t remember it being that bad. The song itself is ok, sounds less robotic than the studio version. 3/10.

Also been busy with end of the semester activities. Then I got distracted midway through listening by how awesome that Koshkin piece is and started listening to more of his stuff. Will finish rating soon.

Broadcast - 8
Split Enz - 4
Nikita Koshkin - 10
Pixies - 3
David Thomas - 5
Jamin Winans - 6
Wipers - 4
The Who - 5
Gentle Giant - 10
Buzzcocks - 4
Tim Buckley - 8.5
Bob Dylan - 4

Gentle Giant - I Lost My Head 8.5/10
One of the only well-known progressive bands back then really pushing the boundaries of palatable sound, while still managing to find some success. Great band and lovely sound, huge fan. In many ways it almost sounds like they're trying to repel their fans.

I'm curious why you think so?

So do I. Well, not very palatable. It's clearly sonically challenging.

Well maybe for someone who was a 60's folk rock fan back then or something, but even by general music standards back then it wasn't so extreme. Schoenberg, Thelonius Monk, and Metal come to mind by 1976. Even stuff by some more mainstream acts like the Beatles or Jimi Hendrix was challenging by that point. As HBB said this song is very repetitive melodically, it's a complicated melody but once you hear it a couple times it makes sense for sure.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Broadcast - According to No Plan
Digging the ominous minimalism. Nice ethereal voice. 8/10.

Split Enz -
One Step Ahead
Interesting vibe. I can appreciate the groove. 6/10.

John WIlliams -
Usher Waltz
Kinda irritating but I admire the skill involved. 4/10.

Pixies -
Where Is My Mind
This shit is pretty awesome. Def checking this album out in full. It just has that sound. 10/10.

David Thomas -
Semaphore
Vomit. 2/10.

Jamin Winans -
Recognize
Minimalistic excellence. Opposite of vomit. 10/10.

Wipers -
What Is
Repetitive and bland. 4/10.

The Who -
I Can't Explain
Fun little ditty. 7/10.

Gentle Giant -
I Lost My Head
Whimsical shit right here. But then everything changed. And it went on a wee bit too long. 6/10.

Buzzcocks -
I Don't Know What to Do With My Life
Nothing too captivating in this mofo. 4/10.

Tim Buckley -
Hallucinations
I digs. Haunting stuff. 8/10.

Bob Dylan -
Ballad of a Thin Man
Dylan's usually solid. Cool tune. 7/10.