Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

i've always thought the host should be allowed to submit a song anyway tbh, especially if numbers are low. they just shouldn't count if they win, and if someone else picks the same song the host should be the one to step aside rather than making them pick something else. when i host i often don't pick the best themes i think of because i really want to submit a song for them if they come around, so this'd solve that problem.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
Yeah I only picked the song because it wasn't picked and it was what inspired the theme to begin with. Also, it wouldn't count if won though i highly doubt it would win to begin with. I agree the host should be able to throw in a song especially since its not a long playlist in comparison to the old days

Yeah I agree, the winner should get to pick a song, it's part of the fun. I've snuck in my own pick before, and so has someone else (Grumbles I think?). Anyhow this playlist looks good, a few legends on there.

1. Saint Etienne - I Threw It All Away
Yawning 4/10

2. Tame Impala - New Person, Same Ol' Mistakes

Okish psych pop rock, a bit tame though hahahehehoho 5.5/10

3. Skeleton Key - All the Things I've Lost

This was cool 7.5/10

4. Dion - Runaround Sue

Here's a song, it's sad but true
About a subject, we all knew
Would bring out some gems, and some poo
Some old poo like Runaround Sue 4/10

5. Steeleye Span - Little Sir Hue
Folk rock is still not my thing 3/10

6. Modest Mouse - The Good Times are Killing Me

Aaannnd Modest Mouse are still not my thing 3/10

7. John Lennon - What You Got

Not that into solo Lennon, but this is killer 9/10

8. Stevie Wonder - Blame it on the Sun

Love Stevie but isn't his best by a longshot. Still, nice enough ballad. 6.5/10

9. Blue Pills - Ain't No Change

Pretty damn rocking high-octane blues jams 8/10

10. Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - The Track of My Tears

Good song but eh 5/10

11. Anathema - A Simple Mistake

This was much better than I thought it'd be, good dynamics and vocals. I know they used to be/still are? metal but there wasn't much metal about this at all. 7/10

Was expecting more gold in this playlist tbh, mistakes have been made.

St Etienne - half of this sounds like a terrific Goldfrapp number and also a piss-weak Minogue sop feast. The baked fool must have been off his tits to submit something so dry and vacuous as this. 7/10

Tame Impala - clever, well thought psych-pop-sop. l like a song or two by these dudes. 7/10

Skeleton Key - Plastic funk that doesn't work, amateurish trash, l really don't like this. 2/10

Dion - Perfect example of a retro pop song. Three minutes of bliss as if Beatles, Police etc 9/10 Gorgeous

Steeleye Span - Wow for forever i've never known who this song was by. Terrific Tull-like rocky folk. 7/10

Modest Mouse - Shizenhausen 2/10 l do need to wake up tho

Lennon - Pimped up production overload. l likey, but it ain't great. 5/10 for all the bloatedness

Stevie Wonder - As perfect as Dion, but smoother, less edge 810

Blues Pill - Enjoyable if stilted modern/classic rock. It's kinda like rejection 5/10

Smokey Robinson - Another perfect pop song. 9/10

Anathema - it's clever but totally despicable...ends well 7/10

Most tunes l knew here but ,that was an enjoyable spin. cheers folks

Saint Etienne - I Threw It All Away 6/10
I wanted to like this more than I did.

Tame Impala - New Person, Same Ol' Mistakes 4.5/10

I used to hang out with these guys, I lived right around the corner from them, they were/are massive yuppie douchebags. Anyway, I used to like them but now not so much, if at all.

Skeleton Key - All The Things I've Lost 3.5/10

This is not very good at all. It's shit, in fact.

Dion - Runaround Sue 7.5/10

Just an old Italian trying to warn you to steer clear of sluts. Timeless stuff.

Steeleye Span - Little Sir Hue 7/10

Nice, charming little tune.

Modest Mouse - The Good Times Are Killing Me 4/10

I grew up skateboarding and as a result I spent a lot of my life being forced to listen to this shitty band. Hipsters pretending to be rugged.

John Lennon - What You Got 7.5/10

Solo Lennon > The Beatles, this is no exception. Raw as hell to boot.

Stevie Wonder - Blame It On The Sun 10/10

Best pick so far (and probably best overall) so thanks to whoever salvaged this mediocre playlist. I love you.

Blue Pills - Ain't No Change 5/10

Boring crap. Female vocals are the only highlight and they're not even that great. Come back when you have some balls/guts a la Orange Sunshine.

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - The Track Of My Tears 9/10

So smooth, this just can't be beat with any amount of shitty nu-funk or beta male blues rock.

Anathema - A Simple Mistake 5/10

Didn't grab me in any way.

This playlist...

1941286,MbLpbo+UbuvfD8YWffICNZ2OOkjtgVjqgjqm3++B1TVGjloOH+T4rMz5VSWRYOGwLjvcjUu1YrRzqTUZsIYyBg==.jpg

the idea of you hanging out with tame impala is hilarious to me.

'nice' and 'charming' are not exactly adjectives i would use to describe a song about a child getting viciously murdered ha

Reactions: CiG
Saint Ettiene - I Threw It All Away: Good vocals but really boring otherwise. 5/10

Tame Impala - New Person, Same Old Mistakes: I can dig it. Nothing to write home about but it wasn't bad. 7/10

Skeleton Key - All the Things I've Lost: Utterly dull funk. Boring, artificial, and completely lacking in skill and feel. Not to mention those legitimately fucking awful vocals 2 minutes in. They weren't all that great for the rest of the song either but fucking hell... 3/10

Dion - Runaround Sue: This song would be better if Meghan Trainor hadn't ruined doo-wop for a whole generation. It was OK though. 6/10

Steeleye Span - Little Sir Hugh: This was quite pleasant. The lyrics caught me off guard so...half point on for subverting expectations? :tickled: 7.5/10

Modest Mouse - The Good Times Are Killing Me: @CASSETTEISGOD As someone who skates a lot, it sure was "FUN" hanging around a bunch of hipsters in middle school and high school who didn't know what Kyuss and Baroness were. You know...something to actually ACCOMPANY the act of skating. Song's really boring though. Extremely middle of the road. 5/10

John Lennon - What You Got
: Love solo Lennon. Awesome stuff. 8/10

Stevie Wonder - Blame It On the Sun: Wonderful ballad. 9.5/10

Blues Pills - Ain't No Change: Pathetically stilted, gutless, and milquetoast classic rock worship. You can bet your ass that the saccharine and cliché lyrics don't help, either. You're better off listening to Blue Cheer or Hawkwind over this. 4.5/10

Smokey Robinson - The Tracks of My Tears
: Love this song. Great vocals. 8.5/10

Anathema - A Simple Mistake
: This was pretty cool. 8.5/10

Well, there you have it.

1. Saint Etienne - I Threw It All Away
8/10

2. Tame Impala - New Person, Same Ol' Mistakes
7.5/10

3. Skeleton Key - All the Things I've Lost
7/10

4. Dion - Runaround Sue
5/10

5. Steeleye Span - Little Sir Hue
8/10

6. Modest Mouse - The Good Times are Killing Me
4/10

7. John Lennon - What You Got
6.5/10

8. Stevie Wonder - Blame it on the Sun
7.5/10

9. Blue Pills - Ain't No Change
7/10

10. Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - The Track of My Tears
3.5/10

11. Anathema - A Simple Mistake
9/10

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
As someone who skates a lot, it sure was "FUN" hanging around a bunch of hipsters in middle school and high school who didn't know what Kyuss and Baroness were. You know...something to actually ACCOMPANY the act of skating.

I couldn't give a fuck about Kyuss and especially Baroness, but what do they have to do with skateboarding? I've never associated skateboarding with zoned out stoner dickhead metalrock in my life, so maybe I'm missing something.