Dio Tribute "Stargazer" Song Discussion

guys, rtm. guitars are done. i'm gonna take care of the solo tomorrow. i'm uploading it right now. tell me what you think. i went for a vintage-modern sound like helloween's better than raw. guitars are quite chunky and raw. i've recorded it with my strat (humbucker on bridge).

stay tuned. link's gonna be here in 15 mins.

Cool guitars, such a chunky strat structure demands an original mix, something with a vintage yet heavy vibe, like Malmsteen's 1996 "Inspiration". I'll definitely upgrade drums in the very-very near future.

.....so what did he use?

Sorry to crash the thread, but I just wondered :-D

-P

I needed a vintage marshall sound with some crunchy gain. So plexis wouldn't do the job. And JCM800s sound thicker than I want. So the only option for me was a Marshall Super Lead (JMP 100) but I didn't know anybody who's got one of those. So I used Guitar Rig 4's Jump (modelled after a super lead) amp head with a vintage marshall cabinet impulse. I used a booster before the amp so it boosts that crunching sound without smoothening it like an overdrive pedal. No post eqs or anything. If you like it that way, I can process the plugin into the DI. However I've got the DIs. If anyone's up for a vintage amp reamping, I'll be so happy. But again, I don't prefer any 5150s, Engls or Boogies while playing a song like that.

And one thing, I play on the bridge position of my '91 Strat. It's got a Seymour Duncan JBJr pickup (the one that Maiden use) on the bridge but with new strings and a low gain setup on the amp, it sounded like a single coil.

Hey I'm gonna go ahead and record the bass for this song by friday most likely, currently finishing a remix of an old demo of my band and some preproductions I have to deliver to the drummer to record and to the new guitarist to learn the songs, so I won't be able to work on it at least till friday, but by the end of the weekend this song will have bass finished, I promise

Max, I just heard your vocals on your myspace. Are you related to Rob Rock by any chance? Nice pipes man!

Max, I just heard your vocals on your myspace. Are you related to Rob Rock by any chance? Nice pipes man!

Thanks, Deniz!
I wish I'd be related to someone as huge as Rob Rock. But I'm a sound engineer from Kiev, Ukraine, I've built my own studio and it's been less than a year since I've decided to come out of shadows as the musician.
Glad you liked the vox, I'll do another two songs on the tribute except All the Fools Sailed Away. Hope we'll finish the songs in time:)

Returning to our topic, I think that very soon the FX intro and new drums will be prepared for stargazer. And I can eat midi and shit out some EWQL epicness :hotjump: just any time:)

And also I see some Roy Z vibe in your songs and mixes. Am I right? Cos I like what he did with Bruce and Rob and also Chemical Wedding is one of my all time fav. albums.

And also I see some Roy Z vibe in your songs and mixes. Am I right? Cos I like what he did with Bruce and Rob and also Chemical Wedding is one of my all time fav. albums.

Uhhh thanks:) In fact, when I first heard Halford's Resurrection, I went totally nuts, immediately. The funny thing is that I haven't heard Judas Priest before listening to that record.
It totally possessed me - the sound, the music and the vocals. The Live Insurrection was even fucking better. So, yeah. I haven't thought of it, but I think that's what I'm aiming for subconsciously:))

Anyway, here is the intro + new drum sound. Not sure if the intro represents the song's mood, that's just what I feel when listening to it:
http://www.maxmorton.com/Stargazer_intro_drums.mp3