Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

i tend to check mine because i get pissed off if i end up with a really shitty quality version of my song. in the defense of one of the people in this case, they actually sent me a youtube, it just says it's not available when i click it and i can't find a replacement.

Do people ever look to see if their song picks are on YouTube? Quite a few people have sent me something and I looked and saw it wasn't on there. I like to check sometimes even though I don't make the playlist. Only @Baroque made his own song video for a pick with no video.

I didn't foresee a problem with my original pick, but then I got trolled:

DREAMS & NIGHTMARES

Alice Cooper - Steven
Roy Orbison - In Dreams
Ella Fitzgerald - Dream a Little Dream of Me
May Blitz - Dreaming
The Cure - Lullaby
Samhain - Black Dream
Bing Crosby - Beautiful Dreamer
Ruthie Henshall - I Dreamed A Dream (Live)
Neil Young - Cowgirl in the Sand
Nichijou - ZZZ
Mors Syphilitica - Fever Dream
Soap&Skin - Sleep
Dave Matthews Band - Halloween
Polyrock - Romantic Me
The Moon and the Nightspirit - Of Dreams Forgotten and Fables Untold*
Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)

may be unavailable for some (it is for me but not the submitter), let me know if any of you can find another version.

Last edited:
no cranberries is a bit surprising.

FWIW i would've picked this (which incidentally is covered on that roy orbison album, although i prefer the original). hamburgerboy levels of creepy stalker vibes in that one.

edit: well, hamburgerboy levels of wanking and crying in bedroom vibes i suppose

Reactions: CiG and unknown
Alice Cooper – Steven – 9/10

Great way to start the playlist. The more I listen to Welcome to My Nightmare the more I prefer the groovier/heavier first half, but this is one of Cooper’s highlights in terms of establishing his trademark sound.

Roy Orbison - In Dreams – 7/10

Heard of him but never listened to him, very pleasant stuff.

Ella Fitzgerald - Dream a Little Dream of Me – 7/10

See above only I have been exposed to her voice a bit over the years.

May Blitz – Dreaming – 10/10

Downloaded this album a while ago but never got around to listening to it. Holy shit why haven’t I? Creepy enough starting and when it gets kinda dissonant and then REALLY takes off halfway through with those banjos from hell, can’t say I’ve heard anything like that.

The Cure – Lullaby – 6/10

Not a fan of them although I enjoyed this song this time. Maybe I’ll give Disintegration another shot soon.

Samhain - Black Dream – 6/10

Never got into any Misfits/Samhain/Danzig as much as I would have liked too, the horror vibe comes on inconsistently and too strongly when it does, but I guess this was still a solid song.

Bing Crosby - Beautiful Dreamer – 4/10

I actually don’t like Bing Crosby’s voice tbh.

Ruthie Henshall - I Dreamed A Dream (Live) – 7/10

I initially wanted to give this a 6, not into Broadway stuff, but she definitely has a great voice.

Neil Young - Cowgirl in the Sand – 5/10

Too long for me and not really getting too much of a dreams vibe here, but otherwise nice. I haven’t heard this Neil Young album before.

Nichijou – ZZZ – 9/10

I love this cute shit, a YouTube commentator had a great review too:

rkws9l.png

Mors Syphilitica - Fever Dream – 7/10

A little cheesy and not something I could listen to a full album of, but I still liked it a lot and the performance was there. Definitely some dreamy mystical vibes mixed in with the more usual gothiness.

Soap&Skin – Sleep – 7/10

Guessing this was the Mort pick? It was pretty neat actually, listened to it twice because I was uncertain the first time, could imagine this would be better in an album's context too.

Dave Matthews Band – Halloween – 6/10

So this is what Dave Matthews sounds like? All these people I thought I knew but not at all. Dave Matthews is someone people aren’t supposed to enjoy, right? Because I kind of enjoyed this. Pretty melodramatic, sounds like an early Pearl Jam song crossed with a hobo and a bad Hollywood soundtrack, but entertaining as a result.

Polyrock - Romantic Me – 7/10

Subtracting just one point because it seems to be more about desire than dreams, but this was otherwise really great and tense. Need to check them out.

The Moon and the Nightspirit - Of Dreams Forgotten and Fables Untold – 6/10

What in the fuck is that thing on the cover art? Took me a moment to figure out of this was the title track to the album or their eponymous song, fuck these names/titles too. Still, even though this shit is triggering me with memories of the RPG forums I’d browse 15 years ago, this was pretty and nice enough.

Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out) – 6/10

Decent.

Alice Cooper - Steven
10/10.
This is the absolute nightmare. I firmly believe a young man was highly influenced by this, today we call him King Diamond. I doubt another song on this list will make my hair stand on end.

Roy Orbison - In Dreams
4/10.
My Grandmother would have rated this highly... me, not so much.

Ella Fitzgerald - Dream a Little Dream of Me
6/10.
This made me feel very sad.

May Blitz - Dreaming
5/10.
Whatever.

The Cure - Lullaby
6/10.
The Cure always makes me feel some sorta way.

Samhain - Black Dream
4/10.
I had hopes for this one but the production is really bad and its repetitive as fuck.

Bing Crosby - Beautiful Dreamer
3/10.
Seriously, did you make this playlist for my grandma?

Ruthie Henshall - I Dreamed A Dream (Live)
3/10.
Playlist is spiraling downward quickly....

Neil Young - Cowgirl in the Sand
6.5/10.
I can dig this. Much better than I expected.

Nichijou - ZZZ
2/10.
Fuck you mort.

Mors Syphilitica - Fever Dream
5.75/10.
Not bad.

Soap&Skin - Sleep
6/10.
Moody and creepy, just like a good dream.

6.5/10
Atypical angry sounding Dave Matthews song.

Polyrock - Romantic Me
7.5/10.
I coulda been a goth in another life.

The Moon and the Nightspirit - Of Dreams Forgotten and Fables Untold*
8/10.
I really like neofolky stuff, someones got me pegged on this one.

Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)
4/10.
This was over before I noticed anything happened.

Alice Cooper - Steven 6/10

Roy Orbison - In Dreams 10/10

Ella Fitzgerald - Dream a Little Dream of Me 6/10

May Blitz - Dreaming 8/10

The Cure - Lullaby 7/10

Samhain - Black Dream 8/10

Bing Crosby - Beautiful Dreamer 9/10

Ruthie Henshall - I Dreamed A Dream (Live) 5/10

Neil Young - Cowgirl in the Sand 8/10

Nichijou - ZZZ 3/10

Mors Syphilitica - Fever Dream 2/10

Soap&Skin - Sleep 4/10

Can I vote 0/10? Fucking Dave Matthew Band. If not, 1/10

Polyrock - Romantic Me 9/10

The Moon and the Nightspirit - Of Dreams Forgotten and Fables Untold* 1/10

Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out) 6/10

Fuck me? I can promise you I didn't submit that track. Wouldn't have ever come to mind to submit because I found Nichijou insufferably boring anyways.

Alice Cooper - Steven 10/10
This is fucking brilliant. I need to check more of his stuff out. Every time I hear a track in passing it becomes my next favorite thing ever , and I play it over and over. He's so animated. I think I'm in love.

Roy Orbison - In Dreams 4/10
I feel like I've heard this in a movie before. I'm sure maybe David Lynch would put it in one of his movies. I'm not sure about this. I really can't. I grew up on reggae and dance hall. I really feel this is completely out of my element, which is okay. But I'm just not really feeling it. I can see it being in a clip though in a movie or tv series.

Ella Fitzgerald - Dream a Little Dream of Me 5/10
Not bad. Again, not my thing. My theatre self wants to turn this song into a musical. It'd make a powerful skit if done right.

May Blitz - Dreaming 9/10
Yes. I love the vocals. The build up. It starts quiet and it got louder. This is beautiful. *adds video to favorites*

The Cure - Lullaby 8/10
I've always loved The Cure. Now that's a sexy voice, that doesn't sound stupid. 80s baby makin' music.

Samhain - Black Dream 6/10
Is this pyschobilly? Can't hear much of it... I'm sure I'd like this more if I could hear more.

Bing Crosby - Beautiful Dreamer 3/10
Nope. This shit will put me to sleep.

Ruthie Henshall - I Dreamed a Dream 6/10
Who's the musical theatre geeks on this forum? I use to hear it all the time in college (people auditioned with it alllllllll the time). Anyways, this song's novelty has almost worn out for me. I've heard it too many times. it's one of those songs that it's better to hear in person. It's way more powerful. I suppose most musical theatre songs are like that. She has a great voice, but yeah this is intended for live. I'm sure if I saw this it'd be a 10.

Neil Young - Cowgirl in the Sand 7.5/10
First time hearing Neil Young. Let's see how it goes..... Well, I'm sure as hell digging that solo. It's not too country yet so I can definitely bob to this. Just please, don't go too country or F_D won't like youuu. Bahh... no. Go back to the beginning. This band would be amazing if it were just instrumental. I don't like when the vocals kick in. I don't like the vocals. Just play yer instruments!

Nichijou - ZZZ 2/10
Umm did I just turn on Fushigi Yuugi? Nah.

Mors Syhplitica (btw it took everything in me to not write syphilis) - Fever Dream 7/10
Cool start. Oooo. I am liking this. Ahhhhhhhhhh! i just want to sing with them. :lol:

Soap & Skin - Sleep 8/10
I like this. Reminds me of Regina Spektor the voice. I can see myself listening to this when I'm in my feelings.

Dave Matthews Band - Halloween 6/10
This isn't bad at all. Actually it's good for it being Dave Matthews. He is doing that weird thing of trying to be hot with his vocals though.

Polyrock - Romantic Me 6/10
Not bad.

The Moon and the Nightspirit - Of Dreams Forgotten and Fables Untold 10/10
Magical.

Radiohead - Street Spirit 8/10
I like Radiohead too.