Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

Alice Cooper - Steven
I never got into Alice Cooper at all and this is doing nothing to sway me. 4/10

Roy Orbison - In Dreams

Beautiful. 8/10

Ella Fitzgerald - Dream a Little Dream of Me

Also beautiful. 8/10

May Blitz - Dreaming

Nice, I haven't heard this before. The cover rings a bell though, I think I've seen it at some of my parent's more stoner hippie type old friends houses when I was a kid. 7/10

The Cure - Lullaby

Great song and on theme. 8.5/10

Samhain - Black Dream

Cool 6.5/10

Bing Crosby - Beautiful Dreamer

Eh. 4/10

Ruthie Henshall - I Dreamed A Dream (Live)

No. 2/10

Neil Young - Cowgirl in the Sand

Long but with enough dynamics to keep it interesting. I need to get some more Neil Young stuff. 7/10

Nichijou - ZZZ

Haha, I can't decide if Mort or aug submitted this. 2/10

Mors Syphilitica - Fever Dream

I didn't like this. Cheesy and over dramatic. 3/10

Soap&Skin - Sleep

Cool and creepy. 7/10

Dave Matthews Band - Halloween

Not a fan of this band. Musopop with unnecessary strings. 3/10

Polyrock - Romantic Me

I kinda liked this but got bored. 6/10

The Moon and the Nightspirit - Of Dreams Forgotten and Fables Untold*

This sounds like something I'd hear if I went into a new age wellness store to have a taro reading. 2/10

Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)

The Bends is my favorite Radiohead album and Street Spirit has always been a song which I've been coming back to very often. I've read lots of Thom's interviews and he stated somewhere that this track is like a neverending nightmare with no light at the end of the tunnel.
No he didn't. He said this:
"It's core is a complete mystery to me. I wouldn't ever try to write something that hopeless. All of our saddest songs have somewhere in them at least a glimmer of resolve - 'Street Spirit' has no resolve. It is the dark tunnel without the light at the end."

The song has nothing to do with dreams or nightmares. It's about hopelessness and despair. My first choice for this round was "How to Disappear Completely" because it's actually about a nightmare that Thom had about floating down the Liffey river towards the sea and being unable to get out. I fucking love Street Spirit but it doesn't fit the theme so 5/10

Alice Cooper - Steven
8.5/10
Makes me wonder why I'm so unfamiliar with Alice Cooper.

Roy Orbison - In Dreams
8/10
Heineken? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!

Ella Fitzgerald - Dream a Little Dream Of Me
5/10
Meh.

May Blitz - Dreaming
7.5/10
Some good parts combined with some meandering sections.

The Cure - Lullaby
7/10
I'm not really a big Cure fan.

Samhain - Black Dream
8/10
Short and sweet.

4/10
Talk about hokey.

Ruthie Henshall - I Dreamed A Dream
6/10
Not bad - a good performance - but song is rather overhyped. It's telling that my favorite part was when she dipped into the melody of "One Day More."

7/10
Neil Young when he lived up to his name.

Nichijou - ZZZ
0/10
Fuck this kawaii shit. I was going to give it one point, but then I saw that some people were actually giving it decent or even good scores, so now I feel the need to double down on my dislike for this.

8.5/10
Very dreamy and ethereal, and sounds even better after that previous shitfest.

Soap&Skin - Sleep
8/10

8/10
I think I better start wearing a popped-collar polo shirt, because I actually like this. Then again, it's not your typical Dave Matthews song.

Polyrock - Romantic Me
7/10

The Moon and the Nightspirit - Of Dreams Forgotten and Fables Untold
8/10
Good medieval folk.

8.5/10
Somewhat like the Alice Cooper song, this makes me a bit ashamed that I don't know much more than "Creep" by Radiohead. It's oddly apropos that those two songs bookend this list.

Last edited:
Alice Cooper - Steven 8/10
I like the instrumentation here but I'm not big on the vocals. Definitely fits the theme extremely well.

Roy Orbison - In Dreams 6/10

Nice voice.

Ella Fitzgerald - Dream a Little Dream of Me 5/10

Again nice voice, but this isn't my thing.

May Blitz - Dreaming 8/10

This was really weird, but I liked it a lot. I do prefer the quieter parts, they're full of emotion.

The Cure - Lullaby 5.5/10

I'd probably write The Cure off based on this if I didn't already know they have better music than this.

Samhain - Black Dream 7/10

Pretty good.

Bing Crosby - Beautiful Dreamer 2/10

No. Does anyone actually like this? It's just so uninteresting.

Ruthie Henshall - I Dreamed A Dream (Live) 3/10

Eugh.

Neil Young - Cowgirl in the Sand 8/10
This was very cool but a bit too long I feel.

Nichijou - ZZZ 2/10

Oh dear haha, this is so fucking bad but it made me laugh so I'm giving it a 2.

Mors Syphilitica - Fever Dream 8/10

One of the best songs on this list, dramatic and ethereal.

Soap&Skin - Sleep 6.5/10

I liked it.

Dave Matthews Band - Halloween 4/10

These vocals are painfully bad, but musically this isn't a complete catastrophe.

Polyrock - Romantic Me 4.5/10

I don't like stuff like this at all.

The Moon and the Nightspirit - Of Dreams Forgotten and Fables Untold* 9/10

Best song here for me, I loved it. Props to whoever picked it.

Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out) 8/10

I like Radiohead, this was a nice closer.

Alice Cooper - l have never really liked/got AC and as Phylactery said the vocals kinda kill it, but the music itself is fantastic and it fits the theme so 7/10

The Big O - This sort of music my mum would listen to endlessly (l should contribute to the country thread altho this ain't really country) and l have a big respect and liking for this type of tune because of that. Can't go wrong with Roy Orbison...7/10

Ella Fitzgerald - You're a moron if you can't appreciate the goddess that was Ella - 8/10

May Blitz - Love the production on this, that lovely warm WOS but the vocals ain't doing it for me at all. Oh l spoke too soon..l like it more now the screaming comes along..great acoustic guitar too..just doesn't really go anywhere 6/10

The Cure - l can't deny the catchiness and throb of that bass but, i've always had a huge disdain for the Cure. Robert Smith is a wanker - look at me look at me, still it's a strong tune and their instrumentation is nothing but pop bliss- if you like that sort of thing. 6/10

Samhain - Doesn't really do that much for me but this album was drilled into my head by an old friend eons ago and it always deserves some respect from the nostalgic POV 6/10

Bing Crosby - l have no problem with Bing but he was a square compared to what came next so is seen now as quite wet. And quite rightly so. 4/10

Ruthie Henshall - Find a great singer and get them to sing those great melodies and you will find rewards. This is great, her voice is stunningly strong and beautiful if a bit manly! 8/10

Neil Young - Another artist that has meant very little to me since forever. This tune is as forgotten as the rest...i'm waiting to see what all the fuss is about. 6/10

Nichijou - Jpop nonsense...could be singing about disemboweling children for all l know...waiting for the Friedman guitar solo. 2/10

Mors Syphilitica - My girlfriend says this is like a slightly intimidating night in the middle east. l agree, although we could both listen to this quite easily in the background. 7/10

Soap&skin - uh kinda Bjorkish kinda just too girly repressed blah to me. Nothing wrong with the music but...5/10

Dave Matthews Band - This is cool enough..being fan of violin/fiddle in rock thanks to the Dregs this works for my ears...not enough geetars tho. Never really paid any attention to this band before but his voice and the music on this track works. 7/10

Polyrock - Yeah baby, early 80's synth, jagged geetars and what? backwards geetars with depressed vocals totally fills that hole in my life. Love this. Not their best track tho 8/10

The Moon and the NightSpirit - Dream inducing flute, insipid wet potatoes 3/10

Radiohead - Supreme production, musicianship, quirky vocals beautiful arrangement = Radiohead. You cant deny the genius that this band has produced time after time. Just another classic tune from a wonderful band. 9/10

Cool list and my first time in the non-metal thingy game - this is awesome fun folks

Alice Cooper - Steven
This was a weird one. Good variety to be found here. 6/10.

Roy Orbison - In Dreams
I like the musical accompaniment, but otherwise the song isn't really up my alley. 5/10.

Classic, dreamy tune. Eddie Vedder does a cover of this on the ukulele album for what its worth. 7/10.

May Blitz - Dreaming
This is an interesting one. Goes from cool calm and collected to schizophrenic playroom. 7/10.

The Cure - Lullaby
Who doesn't love The Cure? Sure, not one of their best efforts but it's entertaining all the same. 7/10.

Samhain - Black Dream
The Misfits are back! Is this what the rest of Samhain sounds like? Will be investigating... 8/10.

It's a classy tune. Nothing to dislike here. 6/10.

This kinda sucked. Cool that it was live, but yeah... 4/10.

I like Neil Young. This song, however, seemed to miss its mark and was dragged the fuck out. 4/10.

Nichijou - ZZZ
I try not to rate this low but holy shit. I wanted to give it a 1 but I refrained. 2/10.

Decent background music, ethereal. 5/10.

Soap&Skin - Sleep
Well this scared me and I liked it. 6/10.

I'm not a huge DMB fan, but when he goes dark I eat that shit up. Happens rarely enough. The music and howling vocals create a badass atmosphere. Them strings. 9/10.

Polyrock - Romantic Me
Not a big fan of this one. Too weird and whiney. 4/10.

I love stuff like this. Nice folky melodies with a pretty voice. It's been done better but this is welcome. 7/10.

I liked this track. It was mellow. It didn't really give me an aural awakening but was enjoyable nonetheless. 7/10.

i'll probably leave this open over the weekend if that helps. i'd like to see your ratings in the metal one too even though you didn't submit!

Reactions: CiG
This list already looks really awesome. I love metal but this non-metal game is often more exciting because you get to see what people like outside of the same old "SLAYER [drool]" or whatever.

Alice Cooper - Steven
Classic Cooper. 7/10

Roy Orbison - In Dreams
Great song, definitely love Roy Orbison. Timeless. 8/10

Very classic song. I love it, of course. Ella rules. 7/10

May Blitz - Dreaming
Love the build up and come down quality. Great fucking band and album. 8/10

The Cure - Lullaby
This song reminds me of sex. Probably because I had a lot of sex as a teen and The Cure was always playing in the background. Hahaha. 7/10

Samhain - Black Dream
Shitty youtube upload quality aside, I love this. 8/10

That fuzzy quality is so nostalgia-laced. 7/10

Oh God the part at 2:57. Will be checking this whole thing out. 10/10

Wonderful song, I used to play this over and over when I had the vinyl version. 7/10

Nichijou - ZZZ
Cute. Really gay. Mostly rated high because I have the anime and watch it when I'm stoned. 5/10

Cool. I'm a huge fan of celtic/ethereal music so this will be bookmarked for future investigation. 6/10

Soap&Skin - Sleep
Appealed to something inside of me. 6/10

Reminded me a little of Tom Waits. Kinda cool. 6/10

Polyrock - Romantic Me
This is awesome! I love that Gang Of Four-esque sound that was going on in the late 70's/early 80's. I think I may know this band. BIG BIG C(L)OCK. 7/10

Holy crap, more for my list. Brilliant. 8/10

Nice song by a band I don't really like, always a pleasure to be presented with a contradiction within one's own taste. 7/10