Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

you should check out her death song in that same concert

these don't count but i figured i'd post ratings given i'm all over the shop on this playlist, even compared to people i usually agree with. totally fascinating selection though!

Alice Cooper - Steven 8/10
(rare for something so theatrical to contain so much emotion and atmosphere.)

Roy Orbison - In Dreams 9/10
(heineken? fuck that shit! pabst blue ribbon!)

Ella Fitzgerald - Dream a Little Dream of Me 4/10
(i have a personal attachment to this song and i like ella, just not too fond of this arrangement)

May Blitz - Dreaming 7/10 (burn DISRAELI GEARS and may blitz are the smoke and cinders. the production on this album is so spectacular.)

The Cure - Lullaby 5/10 (yeah i too love having sex to music that sounds like it was written by an arachnid pedophile)

Samhain - Black Dream 7/10 (samhain rules u drools)

Bing Crosby - Beautiful Dreamer 3/10

Ruthie Henshall - I Dreamed A Dream (Live) 6/10
(again not my ideal version of this song, and again because of the somewhat overwrought arrangement - the performance is pretty stirring stuff)

Neil Young - Cowgirl in the Sand 10/10
(too short)

Nichijou - ZZZ 5/10
(if you stop and think about it for a few seconds it's pretty fucking obvious who submitted this lol)

Mors Syphilitica - Fever Dream 4/10

Soap&Skin - Sleep 8/10
(maybe a little slight to fully register by itself, but i'll dig anything this spare, apocalyptic and haunted. sounds like it ought to theme a miranda july movie or something.)

Dave Matthews Band - Halloween 9/10 (i'm not sure i've ever heard any of the maligned DMB stuff haha, but this rules in pretty much the same way that the alice cooper song rules in that they just totally sell the hysteria of it. fantastic arrangement here, love both the vocals and the strings. the ending reminds me of pathologic.)

Polyrock - Romantic Me 6/10
(considering how much i dislike this kinda thing that rating is a compliment)

The Moon and the Nightspirit - Of Dreams Forgotten and Fables Untold 8/10
(much prefer this to the mors thing, sounds more natural/authentic/spontaneous to me. really lovely.)

Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out) 7/10
(didn't you hear the letter? this poor kid has cancer... in his ass!)

1) May Blitz - Dreaming 7.29 (Vegard Pompey)
2)
Roy Orbison - In Dreams 6.86 (unknown)
3)
Alice Cooper - Steven 6.75 (Krow)
4)
Neil Young - Cowgirl in the Sand 6.71 (Omni)
5)
The Cure - Lullaby 6.68 (Satanstoenail)
6)
Polyrock - Romantic Me 6.64 (Sirjack)
7)
Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out) 6.61 (EspaDa)
8)
Samhain - Black Dream 6.54 (CiG)
9)
The Moon and the Nightspirit - Of Dreams Forgotten and Fables Untold 6.54 (Funerary_Doom)
10)
Ella Fitzgerald - Dream a Little Dream of Me 6.43 (Baroque)
11)
Mors Syphilitica - Fever Dream 6.23 (Serjeant Grumbles)
12)
Soap&Skin - Sleep 6.04 (mort)
13)
Ruthie Henshall - I Dreamed A Dream (Live) 5.50 (arg)
14)
Dave Matthews Band - Halloween 5.18 (dwellerINTHEdark)
15)
Bing Crosby - Beautiful Dreamer 4.50 (black orifice)
16)
Nichijou - ZZZ 3.21 (HamburgayBoy)

Congratulations to @Vegard Pompey!

Okay. I want to go with a theme that would be pointlessly broad in the metal mixtape game, so I'm choosing DEATH. Maybe such a metal theme will also encourage players from the other game to participate.

Now, SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT!
2gCViRS.png

Now that it's out there who picked what for the last theme, I totally want to strangle those who called the Moon and the Nightspirit "eluveitie clones" or whatever it was. The two aren't even comparable. There's not a shred of metal in The Moon and the Nightspirit, the vocalists could actually sing, way better musicianship and they're just a folk band (a pretty legit one at that). The only thing remotely related is maybe the lyrics as they are pagan based. But that's it. Just because there's female vocals doesn't mean it can be compared to shitty metal with female vocals. Had to get that off my chest, carry on folks :)

folky instruments-check
female vocals singing weird language-check
aug's stamp of approval-check

just take it as a compliment ;)

I cringed when I read that shit as well. Glad to see neofolk get some representation. Honestly I knew that @Funerary_Doom submitted because if it wasnt her or I, not sure it would happen.

Reactions: CiG
I cringed when I read that shit as well. Glad to see neofolk get some representation. Honestly I knew that @Funerary_Doom submitted because if it wasnt her or I, not sure it would happen.

I listen to neofolk and related music all the time. I've thought about submitting neofolk songs in almost every round, this one included.

That song actually stuck with me more than maybe anything else on the playlist, I wish I had given it a higher rating.