Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

Alice Cooper - Steven 4/10

Maybe it's just me, but I found this to be annoyingly dramatic and manufactured in feeling and atmosphere. I awarded some points for being correctly themed.

Roy Orbison - In Dreams 7/10

Roy Orbison is one of my favorite singers in any genre of music. This song is lovely, like most of his works. That said, this isn't one of his strongest performances.

Ella Fitzgerald - Dream a Little Dream of Me 6/10

While there's nothing wrong with this choice, I can't help but feel that my incredible familiarity with this song lessens the impact that it might have otherwise. I'm not sold.

May Blitz - Dreaming 6/10

I thought that this was pretty decent, but a bit longer than it should be. I definitely plan to check out more music from May Blitz in the future.

The Cure - Lullaby 5/10

Disintegration isn't a very good album and I'm not a fan of any albums by The Cure after their early goth rock period. That said, this isn't the worst thing in the world and I think it fits the theme.

Samhain - Black Dream 7.5/10

While I'm a fan of Samhain and I feel that this song is about dreams, it does very little to actually communicate that particular feeling to me. I do love the aggression.

Bing Crosby - Beautiful Dreamer 3/10

This is one of the least creative choices in any mixtape game so far. It's also just boring. Roy Orbison is a lot better than Bing Crosby and can play an instrument.

Ruthie Henshall - I Dreamed A Dream (Live) 6/10

While I'm not a fan of this song, I have to admit that it's properly themed and the performance was decent. It was a pretty bland choice.

Neil Young - Cowgirl in the Sand 9/10

I'm a big fan of Neil Young and his extended electric guitar songs. This one has dreamy, bizarre lyrics and lovely music. I remember reading that this album was largely inspired by fever dreams.

Nichijou - ZZZ 1/10

Fuck off.

Mors Syphilitica - Fever Dream 9/10

I'm into this. I didn't understand anything being said, but I gota good vibe from the song that matches the title. I'm in love with those vocals! Amazing.

Soap&Skin - Sleep 4/10

This was boring and I found the vocals annoying.

Dave Matthews Band - Halloween 1/10

This sucks. Dave Matthews is a blight on music.

Polyrock - Romantic Me 8/10

This was pretty cool in a weird, frantic sort of way. I liked it quite a bit and I enjoyed the weirdness of it. This seems like a @HamburgerBoy sort of choice. Thanks!

The Moon and the Nightspirit - Of Dreams Forgotten and Fables Untold 9/10

I loved this song and I'm definitely glad to see some neofolk make its way into the mixtape game. I'm definitely a fan of this song and I got the dreamy vibe here for sure.

Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out) 3/10

This, like most Radiohead, annoyed me a lot. Bad ending to a very polarizing playlist.

Alice Cooper - Steven - 3
i really like the piano but the singer sounds so fucking stupid. sounds like a my chemical romance song but gerard way would do a better job

Roy Orbison - In Dreams - 6
dude has a cool voice, sounds like elvis

Ella Fitzgerald - Dream a Little Dream of Me - 8
this transported me into an old black and white movie with folks dressed to the nines and smoking cigars

May Blitz - Dreaming - 5
this was strange

The Cure - Lullaby - 9
why is this fag whispering in my ear and why do i like it. sexy instruments

Samhain - Black Dream - 2
noisy

Bing Crosby - Beautiful Dreamer - 7
this is probably how my grandpa felt about my grandma. shes gone now

Ruthie Henshall - I Dreamed A Dream (Live) - 10
i saw this live in London in 2012 (different singer but she was amazing too) and cried like a little bitch

Neil Young - Cowgirl in the Sand - 6
pretty chill song, had me nodding my head

Nichijou - ZZZ - 8
kore wa hontou ni kawaii desu ne. as for the little fuckdoll singing it i want to make her oshiri kimochi onegaishimasu

Mors Syphilitica - Fever Dream - 7
quite entrancing

Soap&Skin - Sleep - 6
see title, it had the intended effect on me. did a fine and soothing job of it tho

Dave Matthews Band - Halloween - 3
sounds like he's choking on hairy testicles in his mouth

Polyrock - Romantic Me - 5
what is this fag trying to say

The Moon and the Nightspirit - Of Dreams Forgotten and Fables Untold - 9
reminds me of Eluveitie minus the electric guitars. bravo!

Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out) - 8
oohh so edgy

Alice Cooper - Steven
Never listened much to this album because I dislike kitschy theatrical concept albums. This song is pretty damn kitschy and theatrical, but works somehow. A few parts here and there are genuinely spine-chilling. I like this. Also this movie looks amazing.
7/10

Roy Orbison - In Dreams
Thought about picking something Lynch-related. This is probably a better pick than whatever I had in mind.
8/10

Ella Fitzgerald - Dream a Little Dream of Me
5/10

May Blitz - Dreaming
Don't know if it was intentional on the playlistinator's part but the transition between the previous song and this is great. This song's cool, I like the moody bits at the beginning and end more than the freakout in the middle.
8/10

The Cure - Lullaby
5/10

Samhain - Black Dream
7/10

Bing Crosby - Beautiful Dreamer
3/10

Ruthie Henshall - I Dreamed A Dream (Live)
5/10

Neil Young - Cowgirl in the Sand
Jesus does this song ever end? I don't get you guys, complaining about my Of Montreal song being too long but being completely okay with this. Buncha rockists all of you.
5/10

Nichijou - ZZZ
Clear winner.
6/10

Mors Syphilitica - Fever Dream
This is waaay too pretty to be a fever dream. Not saying it doesn't fit the theme or anything, just that it's mistitled.
6/10

Soap&Skin - Sleep
5/10

Dave Matthews Band - Halloween
My first exposure to this band. I don't hate it.
5/10

Polyrock - Romantic Me
8/10

The Moon and the Nightspirit - Of Dreams Forgotten and Fables Untold
reminds me of Eluveitie minus the electric guitars. not bravo
5/10

Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)
I love this song, I think it's the best pre-Kid A Radiohead song and I think it actually lives up to Thom's lofty claims about it being the darkest thing they ever wrote, a tunnel with no light at the end or some shit like that. It's a pretty horrifying song. That said, what's it gotta do with dreams? It's certainly nightmarish, but that doesn't make it dream-themed. I don't want to downrate picks for not being completely literal but this feels a bit shoehorned in.
6/10

Theme: DREAMS & NIGHTMARES

I love this song, I think it's the best pre-Kid A Radiohead song and I think it actually lives up to Thom's lofty claims about it being the darkest thing they ever wrote, a tunnel with no light at the end or some shit like that. It's a pretty horrifying song. That said, what's it gotta do with dreams? It's certainly nightmarish, but that doesn't make it dream-themed. I don't want to downrate picks for not being completely literal but this feels a bit shoehorned in.
6/10

Downrating for not being dreamish while the theme indicates that nightmare themed songs are also eligible. Awkward.

Reactions: CiG
You misunderstand me. What I meant was that just because something is nightmarish in tone that doesn't mean it has anything to do with dreams (nightmares or otherwise).

Reactions: Satanstoenail
It is nightmarish in the sense that it is horrifying. How is it dreamlike though? (As in any type of dream, nightmare or otherwise)

@Vegard Pompey never seen Phantasm? It's a favorite of mine and The Tall Man was my avatar for a long time. The sequels get kinda janky but what horror franchise doesn't I guess?

Wouldn't "nightmarish" mean dreamlike by definition?

Well, not necessarily. The word is sometimes used to indicate that something is as horrifying as a bad dream. For example, you could describe Orwell's 1984 as nightmarish without implying that it has anything to do with dreams.

Maybe it was a poor word choice on my part. What I'm trying to get across is that there's a difference between nightmare-like and an outright nightmare, you know? Submitting Street Spirit in this makes as much sense to me as submitting Angel of Death in a metal mixtape round with the same theme. Well, a little more I guess, since Street Spirit is surreal enough that you could make the case that it's an actual nightmare. Still, I'm very familiar with that song and its lyrics and I've never thought of it as having anything to do with dreams.

The Bends is my favorite Radiohead album and Street Spirit has always been a song which I've been coming back to very often. I've read lots of Thom's interviews and he stated somewhere that this track is like a neverending nightmare with no light at the end of the tunnel.

I was going to post somethings similar to Espada, but then I realised that you had bolded the "ish" in nightmarish for a reason. I get what you mean. If something is nightmarish it doesn't directly imply that it is dreamlike.

Alice Cooper - Steven
I knew somebody would submit an Alice Cooper song. Love that this is set to Phantasm. As much as I enjoy Alice Cooper, I don't feel like this is his strongest work.
5/10

Roy Orbison - In Dreams
Oh man. Those opening words...this is from Lynch's "Blue Velvet". Love it. The transition from the previous song is nice
8/10

Ella Fitzgerald - Dream a Little Dream of Me
I love Ella. Admittedly, I was looking at submitting a jazz song for this round. Billie is still my favorite female jazz singer
7/10

May Blitz - Dreaming
Interesting album cover. Never heard of em. Loving the space-y then avant garde-ish vibe. Really digging this.
7.5/10

The Cure - Lullaby
For some reason I always think @Omni picks the 80s songs. Suffice to say, this is a good call...definitely different from what I'm used to hearing from The Cure. A bit monotonous though
6.5/10

Samhain - Black Dream
Finally some goddamn energy. Good ol Glenny boy. I'm ready to push some people around and throw elbows
7.5/10

Bing Crosby - Beautiful Dreamer
Oh god. Bing Crosby. Much velvet. So smooth.
4/10

Ruthie Henshall - I Dreamed A Dream (Live)
Showtunes? Really? Even though she's a talented singer I can't stand Les Miserables anymore
2/10

Neil Young - Cowgirl in the Sand
Love me some Neil Young
8/10

Nichijou - ZZZ
uhhhhhhh. Oh jesus no. I can't wait to see who submitted this
1/10

Mors Syphilitica - Fever Dream
This is cool. I'm diggin it. I'm actually going to guess this is aug's pick
6/10

Soap&Skin - Sleep
Interesting. Vocals are nice. Very creative
6/10

Dave Matthews Band - Halloween
Not gonna lie. I totally had this cd in high school. They're a talented group of musicians, and they have a lot of dark, weird songs like this. You have to admit these vocals aren't the normal shit you hear from them. "Are you satisfied with fucking?" Brutal.
8/10

Polyrock - Romantic Me
I'm sensing indie hipsterness. It's alright. Not bad but not great
6/10

The Moon and the Nightspirit - Of Dreams Forgotten and Fables Untold*
Ooo let me sip my brandywine or cup of ale and settle in at the inn by the roaring fire. I'm guess draehl or whoever it is that is obsessed with medieval culture submitted this. Pretty decent neofolk
6.5/10

I feel like Radiohead is one of those groups I should like but never quite "got". This is good. Maybe it's the vocals? I'm fickle like that. Nice closing track
7/10