Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

Mozart – Lacrimosa – 9/10

Kinda an obvious pick but for good reason.

Andi Almqvist – Death – 6/10

Nice sound, but a little too much drama and gothy angstiness.

Christian Death - Cavity - First Communion – 7/10

With them it’s hard to tell whether Rozz is singing about death itself or just the assorted degeneracy that would lead to his death, but the atmosphere is uniquely macabre and this shit was such an obvious influence of Celtic Frost and other early death/black metal fellows.

Nick Cave - O'Malley's Bar – 8/10

As much as I love the Birthday Party I haven’t taken much of a plunge getting into his later solo stuff. This was very entertaining and managed to keep my attention for the whole duration, but I’m a little doubtful that it would hold up on regular listening. Still, good and interesting enough that I’ll finally get around to checking him out proper, bonus point for that. Makes me wish that I had submitted Suicide’s Frankie Teardrop.

Alice In Chains - Rain When I Die – 7/10

AiC at their Sabbath-iest, super fucking heavy song with some of Stayley’s best vocals. As pointed out by Sergeant Grumbles below though, it's basically metal so not ideal for this mixtape, subtracting a few points there.

Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven – 4/10

Ehhhhhhh it became listenable as I sat through it but that’s about it.

Comus - Drip Drip – N/A

Oh yeah, the quintessential non-metal album for metal people. Before I knew of good sources for finding non-metal music, I used to be kind of hesitant to listen to albums like this because I figured the number was extremely finite, so I’d put all sorts of stuff on a sort of reserve, “Listen when you REALLY need a good new album” list. Despite the strong in-crowd connotations, this was one of them. I listened to the first minute and a half and it sounded as awesome as I could have wanted but I’d rather not listen to this without hearing it for the first time in a full album context. I’ll listen to the album this upcoming weekend (Friday night at the earliest) so if ya’ll don’t want to wait just disregard this rating or pretend I’m giving it a 10 or something.

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody – 8/10

Don’t feel like talking about it, it’s a really good song but I don’t consider it a personal favorite or anything.

Man's Gin - The Death of Jimmy Sturgis – 2/10

I wish I didn’t immediately remember that these guys are associated with that shitty black metal band Cobalt, because I don’t like this either but would have felt more confident this was bad without any context. Gives me try-hard vibes, singer isn’t quite Hetfield-trying-country level bad, but it still feels like he’s forcing it. “EVERY BOD-AYY NEEDS SOME BOD-AYYY”. The chorus is pathetic. I guess there’s that Alice in Chains ballad vibe here too, which makes it worse, like they were really trying to capture that aesthetic for the sake of it. At least a couple minutes overlong too.

Hüsker Dü - Pink Turns to Blue – 8/10

Funny, I never paid attention to the lyrics on this song but assumed it was an LGBT thing based on the title. Musically I love this song, wavy dissonant prettiness that shows you don’t need to repeat yourself for ages over a drum machine to be fucking “atmospheric”.

Carissa's Wierd - Ignorant Piece of Shit – 7/10

The violin line halfway through hurt things a tiny bit, otherwise I enjoyed this.

The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black – 9/10

Seems like it could be easily interpreted to being about death to me. Love this song.

Rev. Gary Davis - Death Don't Have No Mercy – 8/10

Great voice and passion here.

Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau - Wenn dein Mütterlein – 6/10

Not my thing, but looking up the meaning behind the song, I’m sure it’s a great pick, so I’ll give an extra point there.

Blue Öyster Cult - Then Came the Last Days of May – 10/10

Great mental imagery accompanying the story in this one, makes me want to retroactively downrate the Nick Cave above because this song tells things so effortlessly, so I’ll just bump this to a 10 instead. I really need to make BOC part of my regular listening schedule.

Gravenhurst – Animals – 5/10

Decent.

Tenhi – Tuulenkaato – 6/10

I liked the chanting parts the most, neato funeral atmosphere.

Last edited:
So I read your response about DMDS and came to the conclusion that you like plenty of black metal and really you're just trolling with a lot of your comments to get a rise out of people. Here you go again doing that with comments like " shows you don’t need to repeat yourself for ages over a drum machine to be fucking “atmospheric”."

I've specifically made arguments in the past pointing out the proto-black metal elements in that particular Husker Du song, as well as Standing By the Sea (which is on par with Manowar's classics in terms of the Viking metal aesthetic imo). The guitar work has a very neat, hypnotic quality and is a good example regarding my previous argument as to why I consider black metal to be a form of alt metal.

I don't like the Husker Du I've heard beyond the first album, though.

God damn this god damned long songs.

Mozart - Lacrimosa 7/10

Andi Almqvist - Death 4/10

Christian Death - Cavity - First Communion 8/10

Nick Cave - O'Malley's Bar 5/10

Alice In Chains - Rain When I Die 9/10

Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven 2/10

Should've closed the window.

Comus - Drip Drip 5/10

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody 9/10

Man's Gin - The Death of Jimmy Sturgis 6/10

Hüsker Dü - Pink Turns to Blue 9/10

Carissa's Wierd - Ignorant Piece of Shit 4/10

The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black 7/10

Rev. Gary Davis - Death Don't Have No Mercy 9/10

Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau - Wenn dein Mütterlein 10/10

Blue Öyster Cult - Then Came the Last Days of May 8/10

Gravenhurst - Animals 9/10

Tenhi - Tuulenkaato 6/10

Mozart - Lacrimosa
Fitting opening. One of Mozart's greatest and most well known. Love the choral arrangement 9/10

Andi Almqvist - Death
Interesting. Instrumentation reminds me of Secret Chiefs 3 or Estradasphere. Vocals are deep and gravelly. I like it -- 7/10

Christian Death - Cavity - First Communion
Not bad. Not exactly my cup of tea but decent. Really dug the last minute where it got all weird -- 6/10

Nick Cave - O'Malley's Bar
I'm a sucker for Nick Cave's voice. Some weird, wild lyrics. It loses a point though for being 14 fucking minutes long...this could easily be half the length -- 6/10

Alice In Chains - Rain When I Die
Yeah this could pass for the metal mixtape. AiC is the only band to come out of the grunge scene I actually enjoy. Top notch musicians. Jerry Cantrell is a beast. Layne Staley was a legendary singer. Fantastic. -- 9/10

Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven
Classic Clapton. The panties come right off. I remember learning a bunch of his songs when I was learning to play guitar. The man can write a song. -- 7/10

Comus - Drip Drip
Oh man. I remember listening to Comus several years ago when I was branching out and exploring new shit in the prog and RiO scenes. -- 7.5/10

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
No words needed. 10/10

Man's Gin - The Death of Jimmy Sturgis
An old school style murder ballad. Love the lyrics "He's at the bottom of the river in the trunk of his car...Bastard had it comin yeah and that's no joke" -- 9/10

Hüsker Dü - Pink Turns to Blue
Admittedly, I've never listened to Husker Du. This is pretty good, though. I could listen to more of them. -- 8/10

Carissa's Wierd - Ignorant Piece of Shit
From the title I was expecting an angrier song. I've never even heard of this group. Not bad! But why is there a minute of silence at the end? -- 7/10

The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black
One of the few Rolling Stones songs I genuinely enjoy -- 8/10

Rev. Gary Davis - Death Don't Have No Mercy
Big black man delta blues -- 8/10

Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau - Wenn dein Mütterlein
I can appreciate this, but it's just putting me to sleep -- 4/10

Blue Öyster Cult - Then Came the Last Days of May
Groovy -- 6.5/10

Gravenhurst - Animals
The segue from the BOC to this song was pretty seamless. The two go together well. -- 7/10

Tenhi - Tuulenkaato
One of my favorite bands, hands down, and Maaaet is probably my favorite album by them (Harmaa's album is a close contender). I wanna say this is also one of the closing tracks for their album. Love it. 10/10

Mozart - Lacrimosa
Haunting and beautiful and intense. 8/10.

Andi Almqvist - Death
Besides the complex musical arrangements the song is quite simple. And fucking amazing. 10/10.

A pretty one dimensional album. And that dimension is awesome! Classic death rock right here. 8/10.

I'm actually not gonna listen to this one. Why? Because it's fucking long, I've heard it a million times, and I already know it's the shit! 8/10.

Standard decent grunge fair. 6/10.

Yeah it's a good song but it's plenty saturated. 5/10.

Comus - Drip Drip
Well this had all kinds of variety to whet my appetite with. Really cool sounds to be found in here. Thanks for posting! 8/10.

Too popular. But it is good. 7/10.

Always been curious about this band as I love Cobalt. Good stuff. 7/10.

Nice little ditty. 6/10.

It had some nice instrumentation but otherwise seemed a bit bland. 6/10.

Another super popular pick. Now I know how I erred when I picked The Beatles. Still a great tune. 7/10.

Good ole fashioned blues! 8/10.

Dietrich Fischer - Dieskau - Wenn dein Mütterlein
I did not see opera coming. Cheers to that. 5/10.

Groovy tune. 6/10.

Gravenhurst - Animals
I kinda got lost in this one. In a good way. 7/10.

Tenhi - Tuulenkaato
That piano and guitar! 8/10.

Mozart - Lacrimosa
I don't really know how to rate this. I've heard it many times before. Surely there are darker, lesser known classical pieces that ooze death? 5/10

Andi Almqvist - Death

I didn't mind this. Interesting musically but not so into the vocals. 6/10

Goth rock doesn't do much for me generally. 4/10

A murderous story told really well. This is the sort of Nick Cave stuff I can get into. 8/10

One of my favourite AiC songs. Dark as hell. The chorus gives me shivers. 10/10

Slight change in mood, haha. Reminds me of my Dad. Very heartfelt. 5/10

Comus - Drip Drip

Really quite annoying. 3/10

This is obviously a great song but I don't need to hear it ever again. Especially here. 5/10

Sounds like Staind or some shit. Not good. 3/10

Cool band, I should check out more of their stuff. 8/10

Pretty gay. 4/10

Great song. 7/10

I'm not a huge blues man, but this is good stuff 7/10

Pretty good. 6/10

The musical equivalent of watching paint drying. At least it wasn't Don't Fear The Reaper. 5/10

Gravenhurst - Animals

Pleasant enough but the vocals are gay 6/10

Tenhi - Tuulenkaato

Sounds like the goth soundtrack to some terrible 2000s vampire tv show with Dracula himself on vocals and synth piano. 3/10

Last edited:
Pretty good. 6/0

OH SHI-
divide-by-zero1.jpg

Tenhi - Tuulenkaato
Sounds like the goth soundtrack to some terrible 2000s vampire tv show with Dracula himself on vocals and synth piano. 3/10

:lol:

Reactions: Phylactery
Yes, I am aware of that, I am a maths teacher. It was sarcasm, but a lot of the students I teach think that 6/0 = 6.

If only my students thought as logically as you though then they wouldn't have an issue with it.

Reactions: Caecius