Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

I'm at 11 13 submissions currently. I'm going to sleep and hopefully by the time I wake up I'll have enough for a full mixtape. Anyone who submits during the night would do well to include a backup pick or two.

There are some long-ass fucking songs in this one so I'll probably cut it off at 15.

Last edited:
Alice Cooper - Steven
I never got into Alice Cooper at all and this is doing nothing to sway me. 4/10
If you're really having trouble getting into Alice as a metalhead, you may wanna try the Raise Your Fist And Yell! album. Some really headbanging stuff, and a full on 80s trad metal album. Or Brutal Planet and Dragontown both of which are superlative industrial metal albums.

Cooper's later 80s stuff is more hair metal, not a good way to get metal people in (although I agree that it has some really kickass stuff). Dragontown is an even worse intro imo; it's "heavy" in that it has loud production and chuggy riffs, but if it wasn't Alice Cooper fronting it, there'd be no reason for a person actually into metal to listen to it.

imo the classic early 70s stuff is the best entry point, especially an album like Killer which has some relatively heavy/riffy moments but not in a way trying to be metal since obviously metal wasn't a very big thing back then.

Reactions: CiG
Sorry for not rating the last one despite submitting, had a rather busy weekend and wasn't able to find time

Submitted one for this, hopefully I make the cut - will be sure to rate for this one!

Reactions: CiG
Cooper's later 80s stuff is more hair metal, not a good way to get metal people in (although I agree that it has some really kickass stuff). Dragontown is an even worse intro imo; it's "heavy" in that it has loud production and chuggy riffs, but if it wasn't Alice Cooper fronting it, there'd be no reason for a person actually into metal to listen to it.

imo the classic early 70s stuff is the best entry point, especially an album like Killer which has some relatively heavy/riffy moments but not in a way trying to be metal since obviously metal wasn't a very big thing back then.
I was coming at it from the angle of giving them an introduction to his heavier stuff if that's what they preferred. I agree, his 70s stuff with the original Alice Cooper Band is his best, and probably a far better introduction overall. School's Out, and, as you mentioned, Killer in particular are both brilliant albums and the best introduction in general to his work. I was just trying to push his more metallic stuff their way given they had trouble with Steven. Sure, Dragontown isn't the greatest, but I think if you're trying to get into him via his more metallic stuff, it's not half bad. But I recommended Brutal Planet as well for a reason (a much better album if you ask me, and definitely pretty heavy). And while Raise Your Fist And Yell! does have tinges of hair metal, it can still pack some real punch in terms of being metallic, just look at Chop, Chop, Chop or Roses On White Lace.

Alright, playlist is done.

DEATH

Mozart - Lacrimosa
Andi Almqvist - Death
Christian Death - Cavity - First Communion
Nick Cave - O'Malley's Bar
Alice In Chains - Rain When I Die
Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven
Comus - Drip Drip
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Man's Gin - The Death of Jimmy Sturgis
Hüsker Dü - Pink Turns to Blue
Carissa's Wierd - Ignorant Piece of Shit
The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black
Rev. Gary Davis - Death Don't Have No Mercy
Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau - Wenn dein Mütterlein
Blue Öyster Cult - Then Came the Last Days of May
Gravenhurst - Animals
Tenhi - Tuulenkaato

I'm glad that more neofolk got in. Tenhi is beautiful and I love all of the weird glory of Comus. I'm going to have to submit some weird stuff soon.

I missed out on submitting a song again but I was going to submit something by Tenhi, so I'm glad to see they are here anyway. I like everything I've heard from them.

Reactions: Omni