Non-metal Themed Mixtape Game

That Easter game didn't have a great popularity, alas.
Which is why I thought maybe we could convert all these existing games to the Halloween theme for just one round at the right time of year. With the exception of maybe the Extreme Edition game because of how difficult it'd be to find non-obvious selections for metal songs specifically named "Halloween".

More rating and less talking about unpopular mixtape bastard offspring! Has anyone aside from me even rated this yet?

Elliott Smith - Memory Lane
I like quite a lot of what I've heard of Elliot Smith, but this track is way too jaunty or something. Fits the theme though I guess. 5.5/10

Ayreon - Day Ten: Memories

I've seen two men fucking each other up the arse that was less gay than this. Whoever posted it should be ashamed of themselves.1/10

Michael Jackson - Remember the Time

Not one of his best, but far from one of his worst. Still got a cool danceable groove going on. 7.5/10

Free - Remember

Not bad, never heard of them. This is Sunday morning music. 6.5/10

Prince - Purple Rain

I much prefer his funkier material. I was never a huge fan of this song. 5.5/10

Steeleye Span - All Things Are Quite Silent

Quite nice. My parents used to be way into this stuff. 6/10

Porcupine Tree - She's Moved On

For some reason i thought this band were better than this. This is just way too 'safe'. Reminds me of Christian youth music or some shit. 4/10

The Offspring - The Kids Aren't Alright

I fucking hate The Offspring with a passion. This was much more bearable than most of their insufferable crap though. Still it's predictable in every way. 5/10

Defiance, Ohio - Oh, Susquehannah!

Hipster bollocks 3/10

Dag Nasty - Never Go Back

Cool old punk 7.5/10

Johnny Shines - Sweet Home Chicago

Nice old blues. 6/10

Talking Heads - Memories Can't Wait

Talkong Heads at their twisted best. That verse groove as all sorts of great. I love the way the song evolves also. 9.5/10

Scarlet Leaves - Images of Memories

Actually not too bad for 00's goth rock, but yeah overlong. 6/10

Regina Spektor - The Flowers

This was pretty cool until the dumb ending. 6/10

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Where Do We Go Now But Nowhere

This is like the fourth Nick Cave song we've had, and it's pretty boring. 4/10

Larry Lurex - Goin' Back

Pre-Queen Queen sounds like Queen. 6/10

Elliott Smith - Memory Lane - 10/10

Ayreon - Day Ten: Memories - 3/10

Michael Jackson - Remember the Time - 5/10

Free - Remember - 7/10

Prince - Purple Rain - 6/10

Steeleye Span - All Things Are Quite Silent - 4/10

Porcupine Tree - She's Moved On - 4/10

The Offspring - The Kids Aren't Alright 8/10
because fuck you!

Defiance, Ohio - Oh, Susquehannah! - 5/10

Dag Nasty - Never Go Back - 8/10

Johnny Shines - Sweet Home Chicago - 9/10

Talking Heads - Memories Can't Wait - 9/10

Scarlet Leaves - Images of Memories - 7/10

Regina Spektor - The Flowers 6/10

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Where Do We Go Now But Nowhere - 6/10

Larry Lurex - Goin' Back - 7/10

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Not bad but not great...4/10

Holy synthesizers, Batman. I remember loving this album when I was in high school at the height of my prog era, and this album was like a wet dream of vocalists. This track, however, isn't one I really care for from The Human Equation -- 5/10

Get funky. Eh. -- 3/10

Free - Remember
I'm noticing a trend from the previous couple of songs. -- 5/10

Prince - Purple Rain
Uggghh this is going to be stuck in my head all day. I don't care if he just died -- 2/10

Mediocre -- 4/10

Finally something good. Jesus I was getting depressed. -- 8/10

Taking me back to middle or high school. And finally some goddamn energy. It's getting a higher rating from me solely because of that -- 7/10

Not bad for hipster indie nonsense -- 5/10

Yes. Thank you. I needed this -- 7/10

Obligatory Delta Blues song -- 8/10

The more I hear from Talking Heads, the more I like them -- 9/10

Never heard of them. I'm digging it. -- 8/10

I actually really like Regina Spektor. She's an interesting musician with a unique voice. She's like a gypsy Ani DiFranco. -- 6.5/10

Good stuff -- 8/10

Larry Lurex - Goin' Back
What was that said earlier? Pre Queen sounds like Queen. -- 7/10

Elliott Smith - Memory Lane 5/10
It's okay, will never listen to this guy ever again if I can help it though.

Ayreon - Day Ten: Memories 4/10

Pretty fucking gay.

Michael Jackson - Remember the Time 6/10

Corny but somewhat classic.

Free - Remember 7/10

Love the singer.

Prince - Purple Rain 7/10

It's a deep one.

Steeleye Span - All Things Are Quite Silent 10/10

One of my favourite bands of all time. That's no joke. Someone in here has really cool taste in non-metal.

Porcupine Tree - She's Moved On 7/10

Really enjoyed the vocalist.

The Offspring - The Kids Aren't Alright 4/10

Cringe. Catchy though.

Defiance, Ohio - Oh, Susquehannah! 5.5/10

Never been able to fully appreciate this genre much, even though I love folk and punk. Sounds whiny.

Dag Nasty - Never Go Back 6.5/10

Been years since I've heard this band. Pretty cool.

Johnny Shines - Sweet Home Chicago 8.5/10

Great choice!

Talking Heads - Memories Can't Wait 8/10

So RAW. I need this album.

Scarlet Leaves - Images of Memories 9/10

Wow...

Regina Spektor - The Flowers 8.5/10

One of her albums I don't have but now need.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Where Do We Go Now But Nowhere 8/10

Great song. Underrated album!

Larry Lurex - Goin' Back 9.5/10

Oh woah I didn't even know this existed. This is brilliant! Yay a new discovery and a great way to end the playlist.

Elliot Smith - Memory Lane 4/10
I don't like this. Sorta story time song... Idk, I thought the vocal melody (and the vocals)
was weird at times and I just don't like this style of music. It doesn't do anything for me at all

Ayreon - Day Ten: Memories 1/10
But what the hell is this? I really just don't like this band. I think this is the second track submitted by them and somehow this track is worse. Awful. And the random lady vocals is getting on my nerves. There is no saving this.

Michael Jackson - Remember the Time 8/10
A much needed save after the atrocity before it. Jeez. I don't ever want to listen to Ayreon ever again. I like Michael Jackson, and I really like this song.

Free - Remember 6/10
Not bad. I liked the little chill out section towards the end.

Prince - Purple Rain 8/10
I love Prince. Whatta babe. Sad he passed away. This isn't my favorite song by him though, but you know, it's Prince the babe of all babes.

Steeleye Span - All Things Are Quite Silent 10/10
I loved this. Her vocals are beautiful and just the overall tone here. Nice choice, I'll be looking into this band further.

Porcupine Tree - She's Moved On 4/10
This is almost boring.... nevermind, it's sorta boring. What the hell, why did I think this band was better? There's some good pieces, but i feel zero inclination or inspiration to listen to this again.

The Offspring - The Kids Aren't Alright 5/10
I used to like this band when I was in middle school. This isn't their best song, and honestly this particular song use to annoy me because they'd overplay it so much. It's okay though, i don't hate it.

Oh Shushqueena - Defiance, Ohio! 3/10
I really don't know what the hell this is about or what it's even going for. It's short though.

Dag Nasty - Never Go Back 6.5/10
I enjoyed this. This is super fun... it reminds me of a band but I cant really place my finger.

Johnny Shines - Sweet Home Chicago 7/10
I like this tip-toey vibe kind of music. I've never been to Chicago but this guy is totally selling it.

Talking Heads - Memories Can't Wait 9/10
I loved this. I know of this band already but I need more music by them.

Scarlet Leaves - Images of Memory 9/10
This is really pleasant sounding. Ethereal.

Regina Spektor - The Flowers 9/10
The ending is one of my favorite parts, the little Russian deviation. I only like her older albums. She has so much personality in them. Her newer ones are devoid of that and I always thought that was the most interesting thing about her music.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Where Do We Go Now But Nowhere 8/10
Ohh. I like the way that started. I remember the last track submitted by them was like 14 minutes. I hope this isn't 14 minutes... I should check. Okay, a little over 5 minutes I could deal with that. Anyways, really enjoying this. His voice has a nice color to it.

Larry Lurex - Goin' Back 8/10

This was neat! Unexpecting too.

man, now i want a 'mental illness' round in the non-metal game. 9/10

lmao. jesus christ stop this. nobody over the age of 10 unironically likes ayreon. i simply refuse to believe it. 1/10

grown on me big time since the first time i listened to it. not his best but still great. 8/10

Free - Remember

again they have more memorable songs than this, but the chorus at least is genuinely awesome. actually this whole thing is much better than it might initially seem. 8/10

Prince - Purple Rain

a pretty spectacular arrangement and delivery nearly hides the boring ballad at its centre, but not quite. i've actually only heard this a handful of times, prince ain't so big here and this song only got to number 6 (he only had one number 1 and that was in the mid-'90s). he has great songs but this ain't one of 'em. RIP anyways. 6/10

perfect music. 10/10

doesn't matter whether they're being a floyd knock-off or tool knock-off or whatever else, they're still a soulless radio-ready blandfest straining to appear as something deeper. points are mainly for a nice chorus. 4/10

the offspring's whole career was a process of perpetually selling out, from their '80s years of amateurishly but sometimes excellently riffing on the dead kennedys, the vandals, agent orange and social distortion, to their jumping on the nirvana bandwagon, to the mainstream breakthrough of SMASH and the accompanying misunderstood depressed teens version IXNAY, and then the even more goofy, light-hearted AMERICANA, the one which began my love affair with the band in my childhood, and so on. their best days were long behind them, but AMERICANA is the last of their albums that still largely works for me (some shitty singles aside), and this is one of the best songs on it. not gonna pretend to be remotely impartial though. 8/10

this is probably the whitest thing i've ever heard, and i've heard bon iver. whoever submitted this might like the burnt out depressed loser version, titus andronicus, but they're borderline unbearable too. 5/10

hell yeah. never heard this before, but anything hardcore-related with tension and melody is totally my bag, and i can relate to the sentiment. chorus could be better perhaps, but a real nice pick. for lack of a better comparison right now, has a bit of a hot snakes vibe. 8/10

not as haunting/soulful as my favourites but i just love this sound. sometimes it's music that journeys inward into the gut that's the most otherworldly. 8/10

not a favourite heads song or anything but yeah, another nice pick here. probably would've sounded a lot more fresh in '79. 7/10

oh hello. i was expecting ambient and then suddenly the dream pop comes in. this isn't very creative and it's pretty heavy-handed too, but slowdivey vocals and synths over an '80s beat is like candy to me. much atmospheres. almost goes full 'a sorcerer's pledge' at the end! 8/10

this is actually distractingly like the beatles' 'yesterday' and once i noticed that i can't unnotice it. i also imagine it needs album context, seems like it could work as part of a greater narrative, but as it stands there isn't a lot to it. 6/10

cave occupying the midpoint between cohen and waits this time around. depressing as fuck. not super interesting instrumentally but *just* understated enough to land, and solid lyrically. i'm feelin' it. i think cave works better in playlist context than on his actual albums a lot of the time, so i haven't minded his heavy presence so far. 8/10

Larry Lurex - Goin' Back

freddie + great production values can elevate anything. 8/10